Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Conference Ralignment and Football from Duke Perspective

Here an interesting article from a Duke perspective about how football is now king and driving conference realignment. It's an interesting read. Apparently what almost was the fate of Kansas when it looked like the Big XII was breaking up a few years ago has scared the hell out of Duke. Looks like Dave Cutcliffe is going to be getting all the resources he needs to make Duke Football more relevant than it has been.

http://www.dukemagazine.duke.edu/art...otball-matters

Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    Here an interesting article from a Duke perspective about how football is now king and driving conference realignment. It's an interesting read. Apparently what almost was the fate of Kansas when it looked like the Big XII was breaking up a few years ago has scared the hell out of Duke. Looks like Dave Cutcliffe is going to be getting all the resources he needs to make Duke Football more relevant than it has been.

The whole of the ACC needs to be committed to being as good as, or better, than the SEC. I like what I'm seeing now, with 4 ACC teams ranked in the top 25 and teams being competitive in their OOC match ups. It sucks we lost to Bama, but we looked good doing it. Miami beat Florida. It'd be nice if GT would beat Georgia at the end of the season.
    *.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. *.*.*.*.*.*

I just wish we would STOP with the zone blocking read option crap and line up in the I, put a hat on a hat and run the tailback behind the fullback through a designated gosh-danged hole. There is NO REASON why this program shouldn't be able to find 5 fat guys who can move some people out of the way and clear a lane for a back to get through!

Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post

I don't see why Duke can't be as good as Northwestern or Stanford one day. They have the financial resources to do so. A competitive Duke football program would mean one less cellar dweller in the ACC.

Thanks Hoo86. Interesting read.

I'm still concerned a bit about the relationship with ESPN. Miami-GT on ESPNU and FSU and VT playing decent conference opponents at noon, with one on a regional only network is not enough exposure. Meanwhile, really bad SEC games end up more often than not in prime time. Is there any hope of changing this or is the ACC hosed for the next decade (or whatever life of ESPN deal is)?

Quote Originally Posted by jms41 View Post
    Thanks Hoo86. Interesting read.

I'm still concerned a bit about the relationship with ESPN. Miami-GT on ESPNU and FSU and VT playing decent conference opponents at noon, with one on a regional only network is not enough exposure. Meanwhile, really bad SEC games end up more often than not in prime time. Is there any hope of changing this or is the ACC hosed for the next decade (or whatever life of ESPN deal is)?
    Only the ACC leadership would take a bad 10 year deal and turn it into a bad 15 year deal. We're stuck with whatever ESPN wants us to do. That's probably why ESPN single handedly kept the league from falling apart earlier this year. Had they not come through with "just enough" to pacify FSU, the ACC would be done for. The league would be divided up between the B1G, the SEC, the Big12, and leftovers(Duke, Wake, and maybe Cuse) would be joining the Catholic 7 in a pretty good bball league.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4vt View Post
    Only the ACC leadership would take a bad 10 year deal and turn it into a bad 15 year deal. We're stuck with whatever ESPN wants us to do. That's probably why ESPN single handedly kept the league from falling apart earlier this year. Had they not come through with "just enough" to pacify FSU, the ACC would be done for. The league would be divided up between the B1G, the SEC, the Big12, and leftovers(Duke, Wake, and maybe Cuse) would be joining the Catholic 7 in a pretty good bball league.
    Hats off to Duke. I was concerned that they had lost touch with reality re. football. I hope the stadium upgrades are follwed by trainig and practice facilities upgrades during the next decade. ACC schools should be doing this whenever and wherever possible. When the next cable TV negotiations arrive the Conference should make itself as attractive as possible to all of the Tier 1 players as well as FoxSports. The current ESPN deal stinks, but we can do better only if we prepare during the interim.

I just worry that no matter what the teams do, the lack of exposure on TV is going to lead to a bad end. ESPN has a hand in the ACC's destiny by virtue of controlling the exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by 33laszlo99 View Post
    Hats off to Duke. I was concerned that they had lost touch with reality re. football. I hope the stadium upgrades are follwed by trainig and practice facilities upgrades during the next decade. ACC schools should be doing this whenever and wherever possible. When the next cable TV negotiations arrive the Conference should make itself as attractive as possible to all of the Tier 1 players as well as FoxSports. The current ESPN deal stinks, but we can do better only if we prepare during the interim.

I just worry that no matter what the teams do, the lack of exposure on TV is going to lead to a bad end. ESPN has a hand in the ACC's destiny by virtue of controlling the exposure.
    The conference is on a "fixed income" from cable revenue for the next 13 years. They will have to maximize other revenue (signage, logo sales, home attendance, etc.). They need to raise money and make improvements in facilities wherever possible. That is necessary to drive recruiting, and ultimately produce winning teams. Post-season performance is another opportunity. Conference football cred lives and dies in the bowl season.
    Who knows if there is money to be made in an ACC Network? ESPN has nothing to gain from such a venture. Raycom may have too few games and too little muscle to get cable carriage. Swofford arranged the circumstances for Raycom to become the ACCN, so he dare not be the one to suggest the venture. He'll wait for somebody else to propose it an then act surprised at the possibility.

ESPN will pimp the ACC when we start becoming nationally relevant again. A few games this season will be a good test:

1) 10/19: FSU @ Clemson. All Clemson has to do is beat BC at home on SAT and this will be matchup of undefeated top-10 teams playing for division supremacy. When has the ACC ever had that? Let the hype begin!

2) 11/02: Miami @ FSU. It's tall order for FSU to win at Clemson, but if they do... they get NCSU at home before hosting Miami. Miami plays @UNC and hosts Wake, both winnable games. Could we have another big ACC matchup of undefeated ACC heavyweights? If Miami is undefeated they should be close to top-10 also. (You can bet the ACC would love FSU to beat Clemson to setup this possibility!)

3) 11/09: Virginia Tech @ Miami. And while we are spitballing here... Lets just say Miami somehow wins at FSU and remains undefeated. If VT can keep winning (Pitt, Duke, @BC)... this becomes a HUGE game. Even if Miami loses to FSU... this matchup of top 20, 1 loss teams for the Coastal supremacy is a very good matchup.

In summary, if the ACC Big 4 (Clemson, FSU, Miami and yes... VT) can keep winning... they setup some awesome games against each other. ESPN hyped BigLeast games in the past when those teams were undefeated (LVille/WVu/Rutgers). If ESPN can hype those games... they can surely whip up a frenzy for the ACC. The key is for ACC teams not to lay an egg before these big matchups are played.

Quote Originally Posted by gman86 View Post
    ESPN will pimp the ACC when we start becoming nationally relevant again. A few games this season will be a good test:

1) 10/19: FSU @ Clemson. All Clemson has to do is beat BC at home on SAT and this will be matchup of undefeated top-10 teams playing for division supremacy. When has the ACC ever had that? Let the hype begin!

2) 11/02: Miami @ FSU. It's tall order for FSU to win at Clemson, but if they do... they get NCSU at home before hosting Miami. Miami plays @UNC and hosts Wake, both winnable games. Could we have another big ACC matchup of undefeated ACC heavyweights? If Miami is undefeated they should be close to top-10 also. (You can bet the ACC would love FSU to beat Clemson to setup this possibility!)

3) 11/09: Virginia Tech @ Miami. And while we are spitballing here... Lets just say Miami somehow wins at FSU and remains undefeated. If VT can keep winning (Pitt, Duke, @BC)... this becomes a HUGE game. Even if Miami loses to FSU... this matchup of top 20, 1 loss teams for the Coastal supremacy is a very good matchup.

In summary, if the ACC Big 4 (Clemson, FSU, Miami and yes... VT) can keep winning... they setup some awesome games against each other. ESPN hyped BigLeast games in the past when those teams were undefeated (LVille/WVu/Rutgers). If ESPN can hype those games... they can surely whip up a frenzy for the ACC. The key is for ACC teams not to lay an egg before these big matchups are played.
    Agree. With every word.
    *.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. *.*.*.*.*.*

I just wish we would STOP with the zone blocking read option crap and line up in the I, put a hat on a hat and run the tailback behind the fullback through a designated gosh-danged hole. There is NO REASON why this program shouldn't be able to find 5 fat guys who can move some people out of the way and clear a lane for a back to get through!