Running game: Hate to ask it, but has Stine....

has Stinespring taken over the way plays are developed?

I was impressed during the Bama game the way Edmunds was hitting the line fast and hard. But now plays look like those long, slow, hey-everyone-we're-running plodders we ran under the Stinespring regime? Of course there are problems on the line and the idea may be to hope the back can pick a hole, but as we, or I anyway, saw, they are not working.

What's up with all that?

Quote Originally Posted by likehokies View Post

I was impressed during the Bama game the way Edmunds was hitting the line fast and hard. But now plays look like those long, slow, hey-everyone-we're-running plodders we ran under the Stinespring regime? Of course there are problems on the line and the idea may be to hope the back can pick a hole, but as we, or I anyway, saw, they are not working.

What's up with all that?
    I think it's all on line play. RBs are running hard and play calling seems to be fine. There are no holes and no push. It's hard to evaluate anything else about the running game when the line can't run block.

Banned
    I don't know if it's my imagination but it seems like our run plays take a long time to get started. I don't know if it's Logan's slow first step or what

What's up with all that?
    Our OL is getting NO push. The LOS is being won by whatever Div 1A DL we are playing. It's that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by VTallday View Post
    I don't know if it's my imagination but it seems like our run plays take a long time to get started. I don't know if it's Logan's slow first step or what
    That's how zone blocking schemes work.

With man blocking, each ol has a specific assignment in order to open up a specific hole, and the rb runs hard to the line in anticipation of the hole opening.

With zone blocking, each ol has a specific area to block, and depending on who is there, and what their leverage is (inside our outside shoulder), the hole can open up in any number of places.

A typical zone run is called to a specific side, each ol takes their first step to play side, and blocks based on who is in their "zone". The rb runs to play side, looking for a hole to develop, and makes one cut and his that hole hard. Because of this, zone running plays can seem (and are, in fact) slower to develop.
    No trees were harmed in the making of this post. However, billions of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Freddyburg Hokie View Post

With man blocking, each ol has a specific assignment in order to open up a specific hole, and the rb runs hard to the line in anticipation of the hole opening.

With zone blocking, each ol has a specific area to block, and depending on who is there, and what their leverage is (inside our outside shoulder), the hole can open up in any number of places.

A typical zone run is called to a specific side, each ol takes their first step to play side, and blocks based on who is in their "zone". The rb runs to play side, looking for a hole to develop, and makes one cut and his that hole hard. Because of this, zone running plays can seem (and are, in fact) slower to develop.
    Hey, thanks for that. I think we might want to try our luck with man blocking then.

Go Hokies!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Freddyburg Hokie View Post

I'm talking about the time it takes from the snap to getting it to the RB. I could be wrong but it seems slower for us than other teams. What you said doesn't explain why we seem to be moving in slow motion. I guess it's the hesitation from the RBs when they see there is no hole and some blame them for going east-west instead of north-south

Hopefully Coach Grimes learns from this years experience.

There is a fine line b/w moving guys around and allowing a group to become a cohesive unit.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by two91hokies View Post
    Hopefully Coach Grimes learns from this years experience.

There is a fine line b/w moving guys around and allowing a group to become a cohesive unit.
    He's been learning 15 years. I'd say wherever you put Newsome's guys they're probably not going to do so well

Hey, thanks for that. I think we might want to try our luck with man blocking then.

Go Hokies!
    Zone blocking is the predominant blocking technique in football today. That is unlikely to change in the near future. An agile OL and RBs that can make quick decisions to find the seam are needed. Hopefully, VT is recruiting both. Here are some articles on the use of the technique by Denver and Oregon U.
    http://www.footballoutsiders.com/sta...s-man-blocking
    http://smartfootball.com/run-game/or...fensive-tackle
    "You live on - in the hearts of everyone you have touched and nurtured while you were here...Death ends life, not a relationship. M. Albom