Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Old Line Hokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 05, 2001
    Location
    3659′36″N 7813′30″W
    Posts
    3,481

    JMU and FBS Future

    Article from the Richmond Times Dispatch about JMU's FBS future.

    Looks like they prefer CUSA over other options (Sun Belt and MAC) because of ODU's CUSA membership. IMHO, it's just a matter of time before they jump up to a FBS conference. The state of Virginia could have 5 FBS schools within the next decade if JMU and Liberty move up. I don't know if it will the panacea that ODU, JMU, and Liberty are banking on since most of the money and power will be in the "Power 5" conferences. Those 3 Virginia schools will get better TV deals being in the FBS and money from lower tier bowls, but it will be peanuts when compared to their in-state ACC brethren.

    http://www.timesdispatch.com/sports/...cc3be26d4.html

  2. #2

    Join Date
    June 05, 2003
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    Article from the Richmond Times Dispatch about JMU's FBS future.

    Looks like they prefer CUSA over other options (Sun Belt and MAC) because of ODU's CUSA membership. IMHO, it's just a matter of time before they jump up to a FBS conference. The state of Virginia could have 5 FBS schools within the next decade if JMU and Liberty move up. I don't know if it will the panacea that ODU, JMU, and Liberty are banking on since most of the money and power will be in the "Power 5" conferences. Those 3 Virginia schools will get better TV deals being in the FBS and money from lower tier bowls, but it will be peanuts when compared to their in-state ACC brethren.

    http://www.timesdispatch.com/sports/...cc3be26d4.html
    Interesting for James Madison. I would think Conference USA would take a serious look at JMU. The Power 5 are always going to be the Big Boys. They are now. But this would help grow the sport of football. I wish Delaware would consider this. They already average close to 25,000 fans per game now. If they made the move and were successful at the FBS level, it would give the ACC another candidate in the Mid-Atlantic area where I've suggested we look at Temple. Others have suggested Navy. I don't think the ACC needs another Virginia school, but we could use one in that mid-Atlantic corridor that Maryland is vacating.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    November 23, 1999
    Posts
    2,390

    I think JMU has an invite from the Sunbelt

    I think that article is wrong about JMU not having an invite. I think they have had one from the Sunbelt since April. No one is acknowledging it publicly, but there was lots of talk about it when Western Kentucky left to join CUSA. JMU was the obvious replacement. JMU is just stalling to try to get an invite from CUSA or the MAC. The Sunbelt is a mess. But I'm pretty sure JMU would take an offer from the CUSA or the MAC. I think the CUSA is full and happy at 14 teams, though. So, they either become the 14th MAC team or the 12th Sunbelt. IMO, the MAC should add them and Delaware, if possible. Those two are clearly ready to move up, at least to MAC level. They have the stadiums, the budgets, the fans, they expand the conference geographically in a responsible way, and they win a lot at their current level.

    Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    Interesting for James Madison. I would think Conference USA would take a serious look at JMU. The Power 5 are always going to be the Big Boys. They are now. But this would help grow the sport of football. I wish Delaware would consider this. They already average close to 25,000 fans per game now. If they made the move and were successful at the FBS level, it would give the ACC another candidate in the Mid-Atlantic area where I've suggested we look at Temple. Others have suggested Navy. I don't think the ACC needs another Virginia school, but we could use one in that mid-Atlantic corridor that Maryland is vacating.

  4. #4
    Old Line Hokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 05, 2001
    Location
    3659′36″N 7813′30″W
    Posts
    3,481
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    Article from the Richmond Times Dispatch about JMU's FBS future.

    Looks like they prefer CUSA over other options (Sun Belt and MAC) because of ODU's CUSA membership. IMHO, it's just a matter of time before they jump up to a FBS conference. The state of Virginia could have 5 FBS schools within the next decade if JMU and Liberty move up. I don't know if it will the panacea that ODU, JMU, and Liberty are banking on since most of the money and power will be in the "Power 5" conferences. Those 3 Virginia schools will get better TV deals being in the FBS and money from lower tier bowls, but it will be peanuts when compared to their in-state ACC brethren.

    http://www.timesdispatch.com/sports/...cc3be26d4.html
    Maybe JMU and Delaware can form another FBS conference by adding schools like Army, Navy, Buffalo, UMass, UConn, Marshall, Temple, Villanova, .....? An eastern version of the MAC.

  5. #5
    BUGGZY's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 15, 2002
    Location
    Annandale, VA
    Posts
    13,709
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    Article from the Richmond Times Dispatch about JMU's FBS future.

    Looks like they prefer CUSA over other options (Sun Belt and MAC) because of ODU's CUSA membership. IMHO, it's just a matter of time before they jump up to a FBS conference. The state of Virginia could have 5 FBS schools within the next decade if JMU and Liberty move up. I don't know if it will the panacea that ODU, JMU, and Liberty are banking on since most of the money and power will be in the "Power 5" conferences. Those 3 Virginia schools will get better TV deals being in the FBS and money from lower tier bowls, but it will be peanuts when compared to their in-state ACC brethren.

    http://www.timesdispatch.com/sports/...cc3be26d4.html
    i don't think 125+ schools with such a dramatic difference in resources competing in the same "division" is sustainable. i think we are going to see an NCAA division reset (not a break away as many predict). when that happens, there will be 2 VA schools in the highest division, not 5. i think we see 5 divisions of NCAA for football and 4 divisions for all other sports when it's all said and done.

    Div 1 and 1A where 1A has the ~70 football schools with the resources to compete with each other (power 5, AAC, MWC, Notre Dame, BYU and Army) and hosts their own non-NCAA sanctioned football post season while Division 1 has the rest of the current FBS and the top 1/3 of the current FCS. those 2 could compete in all sports as well as regular season OOC football games but would have seperate football championships. 2 would be the rest of the current FCS. 3 would be the current 2 and 4 would be the current 3.

    for schools with no collegiate football, they could still be in any division below 1A, that would be reserved for schools with football.

    not to take away from what they are doing, good for them, but it won't end up as it seems today IMO.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    Maybe JMU and Delaware can form another FBS conference by adding schools like Army, Navy, Buffalo, UMass, UConn, Marshall, Temple, Villanova, .....? An eastern version of the MAC.
    No. Buffalo is joining the B1G. It's true. TheDummyofWV said so :P

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by HokieDevil View Post
    No. Buffalo is joining the B1G. It's true. TheDummyofWV said so :P
    Alex Jones: Ahhh... the Trilateral Commission and the Illuminati ahhh... have ahhh... decided to expand their power by pushing ahhh... the University of Buffalo to join ahhh... the Big Ten. You see, 10 is a mystical mumber, and ahhh... that's why they haven't changed the name of their ahhh... conference.

  8. #8
    Old Line Hokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 05, 2001
    Location
    3659′36″N 7813′30″W
    Posts
    3,481
    Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    i don't think 125+ schools with such a dramatic difference in resources competing in the same "division" is sustainable. i think we are going to see an NCAA division reset (not a break away as many predict). when that happens, there will be 2 VA schools in the highest division, not 5. i think we see 5 divisions of NCAA for football and 4 divisions for all other sports when it's all said and done.

    Div 1 and 1A where 1A has the ~70 football schools with the resources to compete with each other (power 5, AAC, MWC, Notre Dame, BYU and Army) and hosts their own non-NCAA sanctioned football post season while Division 1 has the rest of the current FBS and the top 1/3 of the current FCS. those 2 could compete in all sports as well as regular season OOC football games but would have seperate football championships. 2 would be the rest of the current FCS. 3 would be the current 2 and 4 would be the current 3.

    for schools with no collegiate football, they could still be in any division below 1A, that would be reserved for schools with football.

    not to take away from what they are doing, good for them, but it won't end up as it seems today IMO.
    This is the way I see the NCAA going in the near future.



    Maybe a few more non-power 5 schools (like UConn, Cincinnati, USF, SDSU, Boise State, BYU,...) will find their way in the top tier (FBS1)? Maybe a FCS conference or 2 may move up to FBS2? I'm sure numerous FCS schools will move up to the FBS2 level in the upcoming years. I think the FBS2 level schools will make more money than they did when they were in the FCS, but increased travel costs and improved facilities (increased seating may be expensive) may hurt some of them financially. Some of the present FCS schools will probably be better off staying where they are.

  9. #9
    BUGGZY's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 15, 2002
    Location
    Annandale, VA
    Posts
    13,709
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    This is the way I see the NCAA going in the near future.



    Maybe a few more non-power 5 schools (like UConn, Cincinnati, USF, SDSU, Boise State, BYU,...) will find their way in the top tier (FBS1)? Maybe a FCS conference or 2 may move up to FBS2? I'm sure numerous FCS schools will move up to the FBS2 level in the upcoming years. I think the FBS2 level schools will make more money than they did when they were in the FCS, but increased travel costs and improved facilities (increased seating may be expensive) may hurt some of them financially. Some of the present FCS schools will probably be better off staying where they are.
    looks reasonable, but i think you have the headers mixed up. The First 3 columns should all be NCAA 1 with sub columns of FBS 1, FBS 2, and FCS. reason being all of those schools in NCAA 1 will compete for the same championships in every sport but football still (ie NCAA bball tourneys). i don't think you'll see a scenario where those 250 teams aren't still playing for the same MBB title in the near future or competing in other sports for that matter.

    with that said, if the split you suggest does happen, i think you'll see a chunk of your 3rd column slide up into the 2nd column so there are roughly 90 teams in each of those columns. could be individual schools joining the 5 existing leagues or maybe an entire conference or 2 move up, i'm not sure.

    if this does happen similar to how you show, i would hope football schools could not schedule more than 1 division down (ie FBS 1 could only play down to FBS 2, no more FCS games, but FBS 2 schools could schedule those FCS games still).
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

  10. #10
    Old Line Hokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 05, 2001
    Location
    3659′36″N 7813′30″W
    Posts
    3,481
    Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    looks reasonable, but i think you have the headers mixed up. The First 3 columns should all be NCAA 1 with sub columns of FBS 1, FBS 2, and FCS. reason being all of those schools in NCAA 1 will compete for the same championships in every sport but football still (ie NCAA bball tourneys). i don't think you'll see a scenario where those 250 teams aren't still playing for the same MBB title in the near future or competing in other sports for that matter.

    with that said, if the split you suggest does happen, i think you'll see a chunk of your 3rd column slide up into the 2nd column so there are roughly 90 teams in each of those columns. could be individual schools joining the 5 existing leagues or maybe an entire conference or 2 move up, i'm not sure.

    if this does happen similar to how you show, i would hope football schools could not schedule more than 1 division down (ie FBS 1 could only play down to FBS 2, no more FCS games, but FBS 2 schools could schedule those FCS games still).
    I pretty much agree with everything you said. I'd like to see FBS1 only go down 1 level in OOC games to FBS2 and FBS2 down only to FCS.

    I also think the Big Sky could move up to FBS2 or their top programs go to the MWC. I also see the same thing with conferences like the CAA and SoCon.

    Here's a link to the 2012 FCS football attendance rankings. Schools like JMU, Delaware, Liberty, N.D. State, MT State, and Montana are in-line to move up to FBS2 just based on average attendance.

    http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2012/Intern...ATTENDANCE.pdf

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •