Love beating UNCheat but WOW our running game really sux

1.4 YPC for the game? Is it the blocking? Is it the young RBs? Is it the play calling? Is it the OC?

Really. I can't remember when our running game was so pathetic. Take away that long TD run against Alabama and what would our toatl YPC be for the season? I'm afraid to ask.
    I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the screaming passengers in his car.

Quote Originally Posted by YBYSAIAHokie View Post
    1.4 YPC for the game? Is it the blocking? Is it the young RBs? Is it the play calling? Is it the OC?

Really. I can't remember when our running game was so pathetic. Take away that long TD run against Alabama and what would our toatl YPC be for the season? I'm afraid to ask.
    Lack of OL talent. There's another thread below on this topic. Look for the one about the Xs and Os people.
    *.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. *.*.*.*.*.*

I just wish we would STOP with the zone blocking read option crap and line up in the I, put a hat on a hat and run the tailback behind the fullback through a designated gosh-danged hole. There is NO REASON why this program shouldn't be able to find 5 fat guys who can move some people out of the way and clear a lane for a back to get through!

YB, I'm at a total loss.
    No idea.

p.s.- LOL @ the sig. Love it.
    Sent using two cans and a string.

The passing game is the only thing working. They just need to scrap the running game and throw 90% of the time.

Ha, glad you liked the sig. Do you know who said it and who it's referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by fathersonhokie View Post
    YB, I'm at a total loss.
    No idea.

p.s.- LOL @ the sig. Love it.
    I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the screaming passengers in his car.

The passing game is the only thing working. They just need to scrap the running game and throw 90% of the time.

i don't but, i have to admit that i am a little curious.
    Cast off the shoes and follow the gourd!

Quote Originally Posted by Go VT View Post
    i don't but, i have to admit that i am a little curious.
    Heh heh... I know... LOL
    *.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. *.*.*.*.*.*

I just wish we would STOP with the zone blocking read option crap and line up in the I, put a hat on a hat and run the tailback behind the fullback through a designated gosh-danged hole. There is NO REASON why this program shouldn't be able to find 5 fat guys who can move some people out of the way and clear a lane for a back to get through!

Not complicated, just poor blocking. Kalvin Cline and the TE position in general is horrendous. On numerous stuffed runs, Cline missed his blocks every time. The guy hit no one.

The only encouraging sign was when VT lined up in I formation and actually showed signs of a running game. Loeffler needs to stick to the I formation versus the veer to get the Hokie run game going.

We used to have no passing game, but could run.
    Now we seem to be gaining some pass competence, but just can't run. Aaaaaaagghhh!

Oh, I know exactly the who & when & where... LMAO. Hilarious!!!
    Sent using two cans and a string.

The main problem is that, while our current OL is pretty good at pass protection, they simply aren't that good at run blocking. Also, our leading RB is a redshirt freshman who doesn't always hit the right hole or make the cut upfield when he should. Finally, opposing teams are often putting 8 men in the box to take away the run and make us beat them throwing the ball.

That said, we seem to run at least fairly well when we're in the I-formation with LT under center because the plays develop quicker and our OL don't have to sustain their blocks for quite as long. It's the called runs from the read option look that we seem to really struggle with.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokiestud View Post
    The main problem is that, while our current OL is pretty good at pass protection, they simply aren't that good at run blocking. Also, our leading RB is a redshirt freshman who doesn't always hit the right hole or make the cut upfield when he should. Finally, opposing teams are often putting 8 men in the box to take away the run and make us beat them throwing the ball.

That said, we seem to run at least fairly well when we're in the I-formation with LT under center because the plays develop quicker and our OL don't have to sustain their blocks for quite as long. It's the called runs from the read option look that we seem to really struggle with.
    I say get rid of them. This OL won't allow them to work