Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 42
  1. #21
    two91hokies's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 02, 1999
    Location
    McKinney, TX
    Posts
    1,501
    Quote Originally Posted by HokieinTampa View Post
    What I find interesting is that we gave LT3 plenty of time today to throw the ball. No issues with pass protection, just run blocking.
    I know we are tired of hearing this......but on more than one occasion I counted 8 in the box with a safety creeping down--almost 9 in the box.

    But we should be able to do better than this.

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    July 02, 2013
    Posts
    605
    Quote Originally Posted by 1980VT View Post
    UNC was daring VT to pass by selling out to stop the run. UNC always had a free hitter to stop any run.

    1st half we burned them with the passing game. 2nd half we were trying to run the clock out.
    I'm tired of hearing that excuse. The bigger problem is that the OL hardly ever moves forward and it's not because the opponent has players pushing on the backs of others. We are simply not winning at the line of scrimmage with the 1 on 1 matchups

  3. #23
    It is obvious that the defenses we have played are are selling out on stopping the run and making Logan beat them. Which is pretty good strategy. We have a young bunch of receivers (that are getting better), and a not so veteran oline. Plus Logan was shaky last year.
    This is exactly what I would do against VT.

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    July 02, 2013
    Posts
    605
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Doom View Post
    It is obvious that the defenses we have played are are selling out on stopping the run and making Logan beat them. Which is pretty good strategy. We have a young bunch of receivers (that are getting better), and a not so veteran oline. Plus Logan was shaky last year.
    This is exactly what I would do against VT.
    If that's the problem then why are we running it so much? Even if you take out the pass plays that turned into runs plays due to good coverage and pressure, it was still around 50/50 pass vs run today. If we are outnumbered why do something that is doomed to fail? Did we find another stupid OC? No the problem is that the OL/TE can't even take their own man. The line of scrimmage moves backwards when we try and run it. It's hopeless

  5. #25
    fathersonhokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27, 2012
    Location
    Sunnyvale
    Posts
    4,009
    Quote Originally Posted by 1980VT View Post
    UNC was daring VT to pass by selling out to stop the run. UNC always had a free hitter to stop any run.

    1st half we burned them with the passing game. 2nd half we were trying to run the clock out.

    We should still be able to run.

    What I'm looking for is the X's O's on why not? Against anyone. We just can't run. Any situation.
    Sent using two cans and a string.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by fathersonhokie View Post
    We should still be able to run.

    What I'm looking for is the X's O's on why not? Against anyone. We just can't run. Any situation.
    Just like earlier in the season when it was on both LT and the WRs, it's on both -- we have an overmatched OL that's getting even more overmatched by teams stacking the box. Now, though, we're starting to make teams pay more for doing that. When you have a tough time blocking five on five (or even seven on seven) it's worse seven on five or nine on seven. But the more success LT and the WRs have, the more that will ease up. Teams are going to make us prove it over and over again this year, though, I think.

    Great quote from LT in the Washington Post today. Definitely gets you excited:

    "Things aren’t just picked up overnight and now we’re all starting to understand it,” Thomas said. “The receivers are getting on the same page as me. I’m on the same page with them. And we’re all on the same page with Coach Loeffler. That’s huge."

  7. #27
    Will Stewart's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 18, 1999
    Location
    Radford, VA
    Posts
    42,910
    Quote Originally Posted by VTallday View Post
    Under Newsome they COULD pass block. All these years under Newsome they've always been able to pass block ok.
    Uh, no. Curt was VT's offensive line coach from 2006-2012. Here's VT's ranking in sacks allowed those years:

    2006: #77
    2007: #115
    2008: #111
    2009: #87
    2010: #86
    2011: #22
    2012: #60

    And remember, in 2009 and 2010, T-mobile was the starting QB. He also played a LOT in 2007 and 2008.
    Always use "Reply With Quote", so everyone knows to whom you're responding.

  8. #28
    Hokie CPA's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 28, 1999
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    61,763
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Stewart View Post
    Uh, no. Curt was VT's offensive line coach from 2006-2012. Here's VT's ranking in sacks allowed those years:

    2006: #77
    2007: #115
    2008: #111
    2009: #87
    2010: #86
    2011: #22
    2012: #60

    And remember, in 2009 and 2010, T-mobile was the starting QB. He also played a LOT in 2007 and 2008.
    Right... The lines in front of Glennon were a frickin sieve. He could have been a really good QB if he'd only had more than a couple of seconds to make his reads before he was running for his life.
    *.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. *.*.*.*.*.*

    I just wish we would STOP with the zone blocking read option crap and line up in the I, put a hat on a hat and run the tailback behind the fullback through a designated gosh-danged hole. There is NO REASON why this program shouldn't be able to find 5 fat guys who can move some people out of the way and clear a lane for a back to get through!

  9. #29

    Join Date
    January 01, 2005
    Posts
    1,526
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokie CPA View Post
    Right... The lines in front of Glennon were a frickin sieve. He could have been a really good QB if he'd only had more than a couple of seconds to make his reads before he was running for his life.
    Glennon truly got a bad rap due to the lack of blocking.

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    July 02, 2013
    Posts
    605
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Stewart View Post
    Uh, no. Curt was VT's offensive line coach from 2006-2012. Here's VT's ranking in sacks allowed those years:

    2006: #77
    2007: #115
    2008: #111
    2009: #87
    2010: #86
    2011: #22
    2012: #60

    And remember, in 2009 and 2010, T-mobile was the starting QB. He also played a LOT in 2007 and 2008.
    2013 is Newsome's OL and I don't know exactly when I'm going to say it becomes Grimes. So I'm not going to count 06 or 07 towards Newsome. Tyrod held the ball too long and that contributed to a lot of it. Someone had to be open by 10 yards before he threw it. I don't care what the stats say if a Newsome OL could do anything it could pass block

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •