Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

One of you X's & O's guys... please explain something

Why are we completely unable to run the ball? I mean completely.

Is it really on JC or Trey? The kids are athletes.
    It HAS to be scheme, doesn't it? Or does it?

If we hand off and get back to LOS, it is a "good" result.

Is it that our OL can't execute, can't block...or is it the scheme that they're asked to carry out is bad?

We can not rush, at all.
    Something's goofy.
    In all my years of watching VT football, I've never seen us wholly unable to run the ball as we seem to be this yr.

Why?
    What gives?

(I recall one poster last week suggesting we just line up a few TEs in the backfield, so that at least LT would have an extra "real" blocker or two... it is a funny idea, but its beginning to make sense to me, if it is a given that all we can do is get back to L.O.S. on any given rush)
    Sent using two cans and a string.

Banned
    The OL is slow, weak, and fat. They aren't creating space and it doesn't matter how many "bigs" you put in there, they are going to lose the matchups because they aren't good athletes. Period.

I still think we have a tell. Even the announcers commented today that it looks like they know what's coming.

Maybe something picked up during Bama game?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by two91hokies View Post
    I still think we have a tell. Even the announcers commented today that it looks like they know what's coming.

That's not the problem. The OL/TEs can't even handle the guy in front of them

Quote Originally Posted by fathersonhokie View Post
    Why are we completely unable to run the ball? I mean completely.

Is it really on JC or Trey? The kids are athletes.
    It HAS to be scheme, doesn't it? Or does it?

If we hand off and get back to LOS, it is a "good" result.

Is it that our OL can't execute, can't block...or is it the scheme that they're asked to carry out is bad?

We can not rush, at all.
    Something's goofy.
    In all my years of watching VT football, I've never seen us wholly unable to run the ball as we seem to be this yr.

Why?
    What gives?

(I recall one poster last week suggesting we just line up a few TEs in the backfield, so that at least LT would have an extra "real" blocker or two... it is a funny idea, but its beginning to make sense to me, if it is a given that all we can do is get back to L.O.S. on any given rush)
    It looks like it's an O Line issue to me. It's never a good thing To you have guards and tackles facing the hole that the RB is supposed to go through. It looked like, more often than not, there were OL facing the play instead of driving their man away from the hole or their zone.

It really is this simple... Curt Newsome left the OL cabinet pretty dadgum bare. And I have every confidence in thinking the reason Coach Grimes has been able to sign so many of his OL targets is he already knows these guys can come in and make an immediate difference, which is quite rare for offensive line players. If Grimey is willing to play freshmen in lieu of giving them a redshirt year, then that ought to tell you just how depleted our OL talent is. Without talent on the OL, we simply cannot create running lanes.
    *.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. *.*.*.*.*.*

I just wish we would STOP with the zone blocking read option crap and line up in the I, put a hat on a hat and run the tailback behind the fullback through a designated gosh-danged hole. There is NO REASON why this program shouldn't be able to find 5 fat guys who can move some people out of the way and clear a lane for a back to get through!

Quote Originally Posted by VTallday View Post
    The OL is slow, weak, and fat. They aren't creating space and it doesn't matter how many "bigs" you put in there, they are going to lose the matchups because they aren't good athletes. Period.
    Okay. 1 vote on the athletes on the OL, themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by two91hokies View Post

1 vote ...?Playcalling? Coaches, for not knowing how to disguise upcoming play?

Quote Originally Posted by VTallday View Post
    That's not the problem. The OL/TEs can't even handle the guy in front of them
    2 votes on the players.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Day View Post
    It looks like it's an O Line issue to me. It's never a good thing To you have guards and tackles facing the hole that the RB is supposed to go through. It looked like, more often than not, there were OL facing the play instead of driving their man away from the hole or their zone.
    Is that on the guys, for not executing, or is that due to how the coaches are asking them to play? I don't know.