Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Touchdown View Post
    The only problem is that ESPN runs the Longhorn network, they aren't going to let us ruin any grand plan they have.

Wouldn't it be nice to know what that Grand Plan is for ESPN regarding the ACC? ESPN owning the Long Horn Network could actually help the ACC if ESPN pushes for some sort of merger. It would be nice to know.

As a tidbit, the ACC will be dependent on what ESPN wants to do. Swofford just reiterated that in the past 2 weeks in this forum: http://www.news-record.com/blogs/spo...9bb30f31a.html

Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    Wouldn't it be nice to know what that Grand Plan is for ESPN regarding the ACC? ESPN owning the Long Horn Network could actually help the ACC if ESPN pushes for some sort of merger. It would be nice to know.
    Swofford and ESPN need to do whatever it takes to bring Texas to the ACC. The marketability and profitability of an ACCN depends on it.

Merge the LHN and the ACCN, maybe have regionalized broadcasting similar to the PAC12 so there's more UT content out west, give them more profit shares if you have to, even set them up with a scheduling deal like ND, I don't care. As soon as Texas is a part of the ACCN, we'll start making more money - and that's what it's all about after all right?

Giving UT that sweet a deal will force them to wiggle out of their GOR and let the rest of the dominoes fall. The SEC grabs Oklahoma and WVU, the B1G takes Kansas and UConn, and the PAC takes Oklahoma St, Kansas St, Texas Tech, and Baylor. TCU and Iowa St are delegated to the Mountain West where they belong. Nice, Neat, 4x16 SUPERCONFERENCES.

ESPN is happy because both of their entities (ACCN and SECN) are about as strong as they could possibly be without being diluted with fluff teams, and FOX is happy because they have coast to coast coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post

As a tidbit, the ACC will be dependent on what ESPN wants to do. Swofford just reiterated that in the past 2 weeks in this forum: http://www.news-record.com/blogs/spo...9bb30f31a.html
    ESPN's Grand Plan for The ACC is already in effect. They own almost all of the ACC content, and they can do anything they want to do with it. I cannot imagine a scenario in which ESPN would want to own the ACCN. Any games they can't put on their own channels, they can sell to local affiliates or Regionals like FOX. The games owned by Raycom are the only games the conference could cobble into a new ACCN. Raycom would likely be willing to partner with the conference. I see no incentive for ESPN to do so.
    As for the LHN, ESPN is locked-in to a twenty year contract at $15 million per year. They wouldn't mind if the LHN went away. But on the other side of the contract are UT and IMG. They share the $15 mil and they have no reason to let ESPN off the hook.
    Swofford must know that a partnership with ESPN is out of reach. He also likely knows if a Raycom/ACC setup would succeed. He keeps talking about due dilligence. What about specifics: what discussions has he had with ESPN, what does market research tell him about demand, what do TV consultants tell him about the possibility of cable carriage? I don't think he's done a thing about the ACCN. I think he's stalling.
    This will come back to bite him. Like that famous dead European guy said,"There is no greater mistake in public leadership than to hold out false hope, soon to be swept away."

Quote Originally Posted by JEHokie View Post
    Unless their grand plan is to get rid of the dollar dump that is the LHN by merging it with a network for the ACC that includes UT...
    I think that is exactly their plan.

Quote Originally Posted by CobbCountyHokie View Post
    I think that is exactly their plan.
    You think SECSPN would pressure a conf move to facilitate this or would this done as a mixed bag network?

I think ESPN is losing a bunch of money on the Longhorn Network and I don't think they like that too much. They also are getting pressure from the ACC to establish a 24/7 cable channel like the Big 10, Pac 12, and SEC since they are the rights holder for the ACC. In order for an ACC Network to get national distribution, it will need another player that is not on the east coast. Enter Texas with their own ESPN-owned, underperforming network and you will have a perfect match. The LHN gets rolled into the ACC Network and you sell a package that includes Miami, FSU, VT, Clemson, Notre Dame, Louisville, and Texas football and UNC, Duke, ND, Louisville, Syracuse, Pitt, and Texas basketball. They will have the best olympic sports in the country and you have the makings of a 24/7 platform.

Before you all stand up and say...Notre Dame is on NBC...this is true...for home games only. Their other games (5 per year against the ACC) and others against the Big 10 will be on ESPN properties.

Do I think ESPN has the clout to do that? They RUN college sports and they can do whatever they want as long as it makes sense for everyone involved and this one makes way too much sense.

I think ESPN is losing a bunch of money on the Longhorn Network and I don't think they like that too much. They also are getting pressure from the ACC to establish a 24/7 cable channel like the Big 10, Pac 12, and SEC since they are the rights holder for the ACC. In order for an ACC Network to get national distribution, it will need another player that is not on the east coast. Enter Texas with their own ESPN-owned, underperforming network and you will have a perfect match. The LHN gets rolled into the ACC Network and you sell a package that includes Miami, FSU, VT, Clemson, Notre Dame, Louisville, and Texas football and UNC, Duke, ND, Louisville, Syracuse, Pitt, and Texas basketball. They will have the best olympic sports in the country and you have the makings of a 24/7 platform.

Before you all stand up and say...Notre Dame is on NBC...this is true...for home games only. Their other games (5 per year against the ACC) and others against the Big 10 will be on ESPN properties.

Do I think ESPN has the clout to do that? They RUN college sports and they can do whatever they want as long as it makes sense for everyone involved and this one makes way too much sense.
    i'm pretty sure Texas would still demand their contractual $15M/year from the LHN, so would all other members of the ACC be ok with the plan if they got $12M? or $8M? also, i don't think ESPN wants to be linked with the breakup of a conference, especially one who is partners with another network.

it's interesting to think about, but i'm not sure the coordination needed would ever come to fruition.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

I hope this is right. It makes too much sense for everyone involved. However, DeLoss Dodds doesn't want this, and he's made it clear. And as we've seen he's headed to retirement from the AD role next year and as a consultant for some time after that. I've also read that the only way for Texas to leave and keep their GOR is to become Independent, especially with regard to football and basketball. If this is the case, to have Texas leave the Big XII and roll the LHN into the ACC network, Texas would have to be in some relationship like Notre Dame is with the ACC for a number of years. This might offer the option of Texas joining the ACC alone. I see this as possible.

We've also had some discussion about Texas joining with multiple teams. That would require a Big XII vote of 6 schools to dissolve their GOR. This would require a more organized break up of the Big XII with multiple conferences (i.e ACC, Big Ten, SEC, PAC 12) taking schools. This could happen too, but would need more organization to happen.

Finally I could see the ACC trying to launch a network with our current membership. I think ESPN would only want to do that focusing on basketball. ESPN views the SEC as their football product. They might view the ACC as their basketball product given that the SEC stinks at basketball other than Kentucky and Florida.

Based on this, my cable bill only needs to be $5.34.

But this is why Fox Sports 1 now exists as wells as NBC SPorts1. It won't take long for the pricing to even out and reachh into our pocket. This is hererthe big money is.

Quote Originally Posted by JEHokie View Post
    Unless their grand plan is to get rid of the dollar dump that is the LHN by merging it with a network for the ACC that includes UT...