Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cost per cable channel

I know this isn't breaking news here but interesting to see

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2013/...els-in-1-graph

I knew I should have chased that NPR guy out of my office.

By the way...

Our friends at ESPN have a goal to increase that per sub fee to about 8.50 over the next couple of years. Also a smaller provider dumped CNN and a bunch of other Turner channels when Turner was forcing a 50% increase on them.

I will say this, it is clear that ESPN has an "arrangement" with the SEC to put all of their games in their prime time windows in order to maximize exposure for the SEC network next year. The ONLY way that ACC teams are going to get similar exposure is if they MOVE to create their network ASAP. Texas is out there...go get them, swallow up the Longhorn Network and then get our schools on in prime time...NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by CobbCountyHokie View Post
    Our friends at ESPN have a goal to increase that per sub fee to about 8.50 over the next couple of years. Also a smaller provider dumped CNN and a bunch of other Turner channels when Turner was forcing a 50% increase on them.

I will say this, it is clear that ESPN has an "arrangement" with the SEC to put all of their games in their prime time windows in order to maximize exposure for the SEC network next year. The ONLY way that ACC teams are going to get similar exposure is if they MOVE to create their network ASAP. Texas is out there...go get them, swallow up the Longhorn Network and then get our schools on in prime time...NOW!
    Agreed. We need to get out from SECSPN as soon as our contract will allow.

Is there ever a point in time when ESPN's SEC games haven't been largely in primetime?

http://nationalchamps.net/ has archived TV schedules going back to 2000. I picked 2002 and clicked through the schedule for every week. Remember, there is no ESPNU or ESPN360 - just ESPN1 and ESPN2 ... so there are usually only two primetime games each week with that occasional week in there where they double up and do 6:00 and 9:30 or something.

There were one or two SEC games in primetime every week and not a single one that wasn't primetime.

There are two reasons SEC games are primetime - (1) it's so blessed hot in the deep south that they just don't play very many early games at all until late in the season and (2) people want to watch SEC football, so it commands the better slot.

ESPN shows SEC games because they are exciting. If Boston College, Dook, Syracuse, etc sold out every game and put a quality product on the field, then you'd see more ACC games make the cut.

Even the sucky SEC teams have 80K screaming fans at every game. 80K screaming fans makes for good TV. A couple of students drinking Zima in the library does not make for good TV.
    ----------------

Make the most of every opportunity for doing good in these evil days.

--Ephesians 5:16

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    Is there ever a point in time when ESPN's SEC games haven't been largely in primetime?

http://nationalchamps.net/ has archived TV schedules going back to 2000. I picked 2002 and clicked through the schedule for every week. Remember, there is no ESPNU or ESPN360 - just ESPN1 and ESPN2 ... so there are usually only two primetime games each week with that occasional week in there where they double up and do 6:00 and 9:30 or something.

There were one or two SEC games in primetime every week and not a single one that wasn't primetime.

There are two reasons SEC games are primetime - (1) it's so blessed hot in the deep south that they just don't play very many early games at all until late in the season and (2) people want to watch SEC football, so it commands the better slot.

ESPN shows SEC games because they are exciting. If Boston College, Dook, Syracuse, etc sold out every game and put a quality product on the field, then you'd see more ACC games make the cut.

Even the sucky SEC teams have 80K screaming fans at every game. 80K screaming fans makes for good TV. A couple of students drinking Zima in the library does not make for good TV.
    can't argue with any of that. until the past decade or so, we rarley saw prime time B1G games for same but opposite reasons. Many B1G stadiums had no lights or it gets too flipping cold after sun set to play (watch, really) football. for years before we had eleventy billion channels, you could count on B1G at noon, ND at 2:30, SEC at 3:30, and either SEC, SWC, BigXX or PacXX in the prime time slot. ACC, BigEast have always been sprinkled in where they fit best depending on their top matchups. since we have no history of a preferred time slot, i don't see that changing any time soon. just be thankful there are eleventy billion channels and VT is on one of them pretty much every single week now. there was a time not so long ago when you either traveled to the game, or you didn't see it. noon on the U is better than 5:00 but not on TV all day, every day in my book.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

Agreed. Now, would that $8.50 fee just be for ESPN, or the entire 'family of networks'? If the latter, does/will the 'family of networks' include LHN and SECN?

Seems like if they could charge a flat fee for ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNA, ESPN2A, SECN, & LHN(ACCN), then they(we) could make a killing...

Quote Originally Posted by JEHokie View Post
    Agreed. Now, would that $8.50 fee just be for ESPN, or the entire 'family of networks'? If the latter, does/will the 'family of networks' include LHN and SECN?

Seems like if they could charge a flat fee for ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNA, ESPN2A, SECN, & LHN(ACCN), then they(we) could make a killing...
    it would just be for ESPN from what i understand...all of those combined could demand $15 easily, i would think.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

[QUOTE= Texas is out there...go get them, swallow up the Longhorn Network and then get our schools on in prime time...NOW![/QUOTE]

The only problem is that ESPN runs the Longhorn network, they aren't going to let us ruin any grand plan they have.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Touchdown View Post
    The only problem is that ESPN runs the Longhorn network, they aren't going to let us ruin any grand plan they have.
    Unless their grand plan is to get rid of the dollar dump that is the LHN by merging it with a network for the ACC that includes UT...