BW article on College football revenue growth for the 1%

Graphs look good.
    Since it only shows the top ten football revenue schools, it's a little bit misleading. I doubt Sunbelt and MAC schools saw the same growth.
    Odds of any schools outside the ten shown winning the MNC are probably less than 1 in 10.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...enues#r=hpt-ls
    BCS level college football is a resource war, not a morality play.

this is SO misleading......

A couple of points.

This chart needs to be expanded.
    1) compare with the conferences
    2) one overall for all Div IA schools

ALso, I like this chart with the overall budgets showing the bottom line. Are the programs in the red or black.... So much of football is funding the rest of the program.

I think bottom-line, this revenue stream is not free $$$ but allocated to other expenses.

But behind it is really who talk to the media corporations who give the big bucks for TV. They would really just like to get a hold of covering only about ten big media schools. You can guess them. USC, Stanford, Oregon, Texas (and now A&M) Oklahoma, Mich, Mich State, ND,Ohio St, PSU, Ala, LSU, GA Fla, FSU, Miami and the rest frankly they dont care. These schools are where the big bucks are being generated. THe other schools are either breaking even or in the red.

Quote Originally Posted by PadrosWindup View Post
    Graphs look good.
    Since it only shows the top ten football revenue schools, it's a little bit misleading. I doubt Sunbelt and MAC schools saw the same growth.
    Odds of any schools outside the ten shown winning the MNC are probably less than 1 in 10.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...enues#r=hpt-ls

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    A couple of points.

ALso, I like this chart with the overall budgets showing the bottom line. Are the programs in the red or black.... So much of football is funding the rest of the program.

I think bottom-line, this revenue stream is not free $$$ but allocated to other expenses.

But behind it is really who talk to the media corporations who give the big bucks for TV. They would really just like to get a hold of covering only about ten big media schools. You can guess them. USC, Stanford, Oregon, Texas (and now A&M) Oklahoma, Mich, Mich State, ND,Ohio St, PSU, Ala, LSU, GA Fla, FSU, Miami and the rest frankly they dont care. These schools are where the big bucks are being generated. THe other schools are either breaking even or in the red.
    Even before realignment, those programs listed were the top revenue winners. I don't expect much to change in the pecking order. SEC--> Texas--> Big 10--> Notre Dame -->Pac 12-->ACC/Big 12 (minus Texas)-->the rest. Tech will get richer but so will the top programs like Bama and Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    A couple of points.

VT is as desirable to the TV folks as a few of these programs you listed. YES, we had a VERY down year last year and we're not being recognized by the talking heads as much as we once were, but that was a one year anomaly it seems. The talking heads sure took notice Thursday night. If we get back into the top 10-15, which is quite possible IMO, we will get as much attention as we deserve. Frankly, I don't hear too much about Mich St., Miami, or Stanford right now. And Stanford is highly ranked. Oregon makes some noise, thanks to their uniforms, but they aren't getting any more of a push than any other program that's been in the top 5. Additionally, A&M is a hot commodity, but they aren't being pushed anymore than the Vick led VT squads. 5 years ago, they were becoming an afterthought in cfball circles.