Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Freddyburg Hokie View Post
    Right, but if all I wanted were ESPN, I would gladly pay $12.50 (or $15.00 or whatever) instead of the $100+/month for everything.
    you really think any a la carte system would allow you to pay for 1 channel at a rate like that? do you think many people (i doubt even you) would ever truly only want ESPN? that would make for awful TV. they don't even seem to put most of their live sports on the main network anymore. are you telling me you like SportsCenter and Gameday that much?
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

Quote Originally Posted by Freddyburg Hokie View Post
    Unless SO much is bundled and thrown together that you end up having to take WAY more than what you want in order to get what you want. If all I want is the occasional Tech game, having to pay for a whole cable subscription does not keep prices down. Well, it does, because getting the occasional Tech game has no lower price. But the "bundling keeps prices down" argument only applies to everybody that wants a critical mass of programming. It does not work for those who want less than that.
    so you want a la carte AND pay as you go/ondemand? i can only imagine what each show or game you would want to watch would cost to justify a truly on demand subscription like that. i can guarantee it would cost at least as much as a subscription to a winder net of content inclusive of what you want to watch would cost.

should TV just charge by the minute like cell phones used to? maybe charge by the data transmitted?
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    so you want a la carte AND pay as you go/ondemand? i can only imagine what each show or game you would want to watch would cost to justify a truly on demand subscription like that. i can guarantee it would cost at least as much as a subscription to a winder net of content inclusive of what you want to watch would cost.

should TV just charge by the minute like cell phones used to? maybe charge by the data transmitted?
    I remember when I worked for Dish Network in C'burg, I'd have customers call in and I'd notice some adult PPV's on their bill. And even though I'd point out that if they "rented" 3 or more a month, it would be cheaper to just subscribe to a channel, they wouldn't do it. I never quite understood that. I guess they didn't want to be the guy who subscribed to it. And they can tell themselves that it's cheaper if they didn't use it every month.