Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

In one morning the Comcast President and the ESPN CEO shut down cable a la carte

In one way this makes me feel better about my job. I never thought for a minute that a la carte was coming because the programmers will never want it. Here is an article on John Skipper's comments regarding it...and I agree with him that the clown John McCain and his legislation is going nowhere.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/D...edia/ESPN.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by CobbCountyHokie View Post
    In one way this makes me feel better about my job. I never thought for a minute that a la carte was coming because the programmers will never want it. Here is an article on John Skipper's comments regarding it...and I agree with him that the clown John McCain and his legislation is going nowhere.

So would take this as a sign that the big conferences will just continue to grow and become more rich and powerful?
    P.S. Your link is messed up. I think it should be http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/D...edia/ESPN.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by CobbCountyHokie View Post

I never understood why people thought doing that would save them money. I guess if they only bought a couple of channels it could.
    "Knowledge is good"

--Emil Faber, 1904

Quote Originally Posted by reestuart View Post
    I never understood why people thought doing that would save them money. I guess if they only bought a couple of channels it could.

yeah, a couple channels would save them some money: $29.99 for 5 channels of your choice, or $39.99 for 500 channels...i don't know many people who would take the former option. it's obviously just a made up example, but i can almost guarantee it's not far off from what any a la carte that would potentially come to fruition would look like.

and as far as him saying there is continuing growth in demand for live sports, he could not be more accurate, just ask my wife! i now have the greatest live sports available to me ever, and i still want more. give me ESPN3, i want ESPN3 available as an in TV experience/OnDemand style channel. give me FoxSports1, i beg for FoxSports2 (in HD). give me BeIN Sport, i demand BeIN Sport2. give me the best EPL coverage in US history on NBC's networks, i demand EPL Extra Time package. there is never enough. i can't wait for a day when every major sporting event, everywhere in the world, can be accessed from my cable remote while sitting on my couch. no streaming, no mobile app, no laptop, just good old fashioned couch potato channel surfing. and yes, i'm willing to pay for it (within reason).
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    yeah, a couple channels would save them some money: $29.99 for 5 channels of your choice, or $39.99 for 500 channels...i don't know many people who would take the former option. it's obviously just a made up example, but i can almost guarantee it's not far off from what any a la carte that would potentially come to fruition would look like.

and as far as him saying there is continuing growth in demand for live sports, he could not be more accurate, just ask my wife! i now have the greatest live sports available to me ever, and i still want more. give me ESPN3, i want ESPN3 available as an in TV experience/OnDemand style channel. give me FoxSports1, i beg for FoxSports2 (in HD). give me BeIN Sport, i demand BeIN Sport2. give me the best EPL coverage in US history on NBC's networks, i demand EPL Extra Time package. there is never enough. i can't wait for a day when every major sporting event, everywhere in the world, can be accessed from my cable remote while sitting on my couch. no streaming, no mobile app, no laptop, just good old fashioned couch potato channel surfing. and yes, i'm willing to pay for it (within reason).
    Greeeaaaat. So in order to get all the sports channels I want, I will be force to buy 400 HSN and religious channels (or other useless channels) that I will never watch .

Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    Greeeaaaat. So in order to get all the sports channels I want, I will be force to buy 400 HSN and religious channels (or other useless channels) that I will never watch .
    in reality, you're basically getting those channels for free. sports channels account for the majority of our cable bills once you go above a basic cable package. the real beneficiaries of a la carte would be people who don't want any sports channels.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

in reality, you're basically getting those channels for free. sports channels account for the majority of our cable bills once you go above a basic cable package. the real beneficiaries of a la carte would be people who don't want any sports channels.
    True, but now I only get 100 HSN and religious channels. Since I don't have any of the Fox Sports channels, I was hoping to buy them a la carte, but I guess that won't be possible now.

That al a carte is available, it is called Roku. The only thing holding me back from cutting the cord is the need for sport programming.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Hokie View Post
    That al a carte is available, it is called Roku. The only thing holding me back from cutting the cord is the need for sport programming.
    i think that's the point of this whole conversation. (live) sports are in such demand that they will keep the current pay for television models alive and well for a long time. (Edit: nevermind, i read your post out of context, we're on the same page afterall...my bad!)

i would add that convenience is a big piece, too. i also have a Roku, but nothing is as simple/easy as turning on the TV and browsing with my cable box remote. i can't imagine a day where i would have to manage a separate streaming subscription for every sports property i follow. convenience is king, and i, as most others, am willing to pay for it.

now what i would love, and i'm guessing it is a ways out, is for FiOS/Xfinity/DTV, etc to form content partnerships to allow channels like ESPN3, NBC SportsExtra, and all the various "season pass" properties for all the major sports properties to create one or more "OnDemand" channels that work directly through my cable box. FiOS has apps on their cable box, it seems creating an ESPN3 App would be a simple transition. it's the multiple device management and lack of simplicity/quality for watching on a 60" TV that is killing me.

Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    A step further: Why should I have to buy all of the programming on any particular channel? That's bundling. I don't want the morning feel good shows, I don't want the soaps, the court tv, the "Wheel" or the amateur local news. I want three hours of Prime Time programming unbundled . Bundling is bundling. And bundling keeps prices down.