Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    Join Date
    September 23, 2001
    Posts
    8,806

    F.A.R. Report on New Governance Proposal

    Not sure if anyone's seen this yet: http://www.oneafar.org/Governance_Proposal.pdf

  2. #2
    Old Line Hokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 05, 2001
    Location
    3659′36″N 7813′30″W
    Posts
    3,481
    Quote Originally Posted by hokieball View Post
    Not sure if anyone's seen this yet: http://www.oneafar.org/Governance_Proposal.pdf
    One of its goals is for FBS to be a new and separate NCAA division. I thought FBS was already separate from FCS and NCAA D-1 non-football schools? I guess they are talking in terms of finances and scholarships? Like mentioned on this board a thousand times, the top 5 power conferences of the present FBS will break away from the other conferences like CUSA, MWC, Sun Belt,.... and form a new division. It looks like the new FBS (power 5) will be increasing scholarships for female sports and increasing stipends for all Power 5 conference scholar athletes. The money will come from all those big TV network contracts and bowl games.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    One of its goals is for FBS to be a new and separate NCAA division. I thought FBS was already separate from FCS and NCAA D-1 non-football schools? I guess they are talking in terms of finances and scholarships? Like mentioned on this board a thousand times, the top 5 power conferences of the present FBS will break away from the other conferences like CUSA, MWC, Sun Belt,.... and form a new division. It looks like the new FBS (power 5) will be increasing scholarships for female sports and increasing stipends for all Power 5 conference scholar athletes. The money will come from all those big TV network contracts and bowl games.
    Division in the sense the FBS would no longer be a subdivision of DI, which means it could have a significant impact on all the other sports. It will be interesting to see if any sports will have a "grandfather clause" to help boost participation numbers. I have a hard time seeing the NCAA making 4 divisions in football and 3 divisions in all other sports because it would force the NCAA to repeal the "Davidson Rule" (I forget the expact bylaw number), which says a school cannot compete in multiple divisions for football and basketball. If they repeal the rule, then it could open up the door for DI schools to play DII or DIII football. Since the Patriot League, Pioneer Football League, and Ivy League currently participate in DI non-scholarship football, then it would not be a difficult transition to make to DIII football.
    Last edited by VTHokie2000; Thu Sep 26 2013 at 12:41 PM.

  4. #4
    PadrosWindup's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 16, 2003
    Posts
    5,013
    Disagree with your break-outs. Remember there are four big subgroups to Division 1:
    FBS/BCS
    FBS/NonBCS
    FCS
    No D1 football (Longwood, GMU, Unc Ashville etc.)

    We all agree the FBS/BCS football is a huge source of revenue.
    How do you continue to generate revenue in the future?
    With more games between BCS level schools, someone has to lose those games - Does a future 10-2 equal a current 13-0?
    DO you need to continue a 64 team BBall tournament?
    DOes the Bowl system continue? Do the FBS/BCS schools control it?
    DO you need cupcakes to lose games so that the Oregon State, NS STate, Minnesotas of the world can go to low level bowl games?

    IMO, the school the FCS/BCS want to break away from are small underfunded nonFootball and FCS schools. I think a lot of FBS/nonBCS schools provide value to the BCS schools, and the BCS will want to bring them along. Also some of the better D1 nonfootball conference (C7, MVC/WCC) will be included to keep the BBall tournament a cash cow as well.

    Taking 60 some schools, having them break away and only play all sports among thenmsleves will be too small a group, with continual demand from schools outside to gain entry.




    Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    One of its goals is for FBS to be a new and separate NCAA division. I thought FBS was already separate from FCS and NCAA D-1 non-football schools? I guess they are talking in terms of finances and scholarships? Like mentioned on this board a thousand times, the top 5 power conferences of the present FBS will break away from the other conferences like CUSA, MWC, Sun Belt,.... and form a new division. It looks like the new FBS (power 5) will be increasing scholarships for female sports and increasing stipends for all Power 5 conference scholar athletes. The money will come from all those big TV network contracts and bowl games.
    BCS level college football is a resource war, not a morality play.

  5. #5
    Old Line Hokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 05, 2001
    Location
    3659′36″N 7813′30″W
    Posts
    3,481
    Quote Originally Posted by PadrosWindup View Post
    Disagree with your break-outs. Remember there are four big subgroups to Division 1:
    FBS/BCS
    FBS/NonBCS
    FCS
    No D1 football (Longwood, GMU, Unc Ashville etc.)

    We all agree the FBS/BCS football is a huge source of revenue.
    How do you continue to generate revenue in the future?
    With more games between BCS level schools, someone has to lose those games - Does a future 10-2 equal a current 13-0?
    DO you need to continue a 64 team BBall tournament?
    DOes the Bowl system continue? Do the FBS/BCS schools control it?
    DO you need cupcakes to lose games so that the Oregon State, NS STate, Minnesotas of the world can go to low level bowl games?

    IMO, the school the FCS/BCS want to break away from are small underfunded nonFootball and FCS schools. I think a lot of FBS/nonBCS schools provide value to the BCS schools, and the BCS will want to bring them along. Also some of the better D1 nonfootball conference (C7, MVC/WCC) will be included to keep the BBall tournament a cash cow as well.

    Taking 60 some schools, having them break away and only play all sports among thenmsleves will be too small a group, with continual demand from schools outside to gain entry.
    I think the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament will keep the BSC/FBS (top 5 conferences) from forming a new athletics association. The NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament brings in $740 Million/year for all the NCAA Division 1 conferences. The NCAA has a $10.8 Billion contract with CBS/TBS. 96% of that money goes to the conferences. I can't see schools like Duke, Kansas, UNC, Indiana, Kentucky, Syracuse, Maryland, and other basketball centric schools wanting to abandon that jackpot. What makes the NCAA Basketball Tournament exciting is the first weekend when the Davids play the Goliaths. That's why the TV ratings are so high and fans from the smaller schools and basketball-only schools like JMU, VCU, Liberty, Butler, Gonzaga, Davidson .... increase the excitement and TV ratings. It would be a shame to have another men's basketball tournament only for the top 5 BCS conferences. It would have most of the top teams but it wouldn't be as exciting or intriguing to the average fan. IMHO, a separate athletics association (only the top 5 conferences with no ties to the NCAA) would kill the men's basketball tournament. $10.8 Billion will prevent such a thing from happening. Folks like Coach K , Coach Williams, Coach Pitino, Coach Boeheim, and John Swofford will do everything to prevent that from ever happening.

  6. #6
    Femoyer Hokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 20, 2003
    Location
    Glen Allen, VA
    Posts
    1,462
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    I think the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament will keep the BSC/FBS (top 5 conferences) from forming a new athletics association. The NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament brings in $740 Million/year for all the NCAA Division 1 conferences. The NCAA has a $10.8 Billion contract with CBS/TBS. 96% of that money goes to the conferences. I can't see schools like Duke, Kansas, UNC, Indiana, Kentucky, Syracuse, Maryland, and other basketball centric schools wanting to abandon that jackpot. What makes the NCAA Basketball Tournament exciting is the first weekend when the Davids play the Goliaths. That's why the TV ratings are so high and fans from the smaller schools and basketball-only schools like JMU, VCU, Liberty, Butler, Gonzaga, Davidson .... increase the excitement and TV ratings. It would be a shame to have another men's basketball tournament only for the top 5 BCS conferences. It would have most of the top teams but it wouldn't be as exciting or intriguing to the average fan. IMHO, a separate athletics association (only the top 5 conferences with no ties to the NCAA) would kill the men's basketball tournament. $10.8 Billion will prevent such a thing from happening. Folks like Coach K , Coach Williams, Coach Pitino, Coach Boeheim, and John Swofford will do everything to prevent that from ever happening.
    I agree with your premise that the NCAA tourney would be less entertaining in the early rounds without the "David's" and gross revenue would suffer without them. But I also think if the Big 5 conferences split from the NCAA that their per team payout from their own tourney would be higher than it is now.

  7. #7
    Old Line Hokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 05, 2001
    Location
    3659′36″N 7813′30″W
    Posts
    3,481
    Quote Originally Posted by Femoyer Hokie View Post
    I agree with your premise that the NCAA tourney would be less entertaining in the early rounds without the "David's" and gross revenue would suffer without them. But I also think if the Big 5 conferences split from the NCAA that their per team payout from their own tourney would be higher than it is now.
    Maybe? 11 of the Top 25 teams in last season's final poll were not in the Power 5 conferences. It's true that the Power 5 conferences have the best men's programs in schools like UCLA, Duke, KU, UK, Louisville, Indiana, Michigan State, Florida, Syracuse, UNC, ... but schools like Georgetown, Marquette, Villanova, UConn, Gonzaga, Butler, VCU, Memphis, Wichita State, Creighton, Valpo, Davidson, ... would be left out. 24 of the national champions over the past 30 years are from Power Conferences while only 6 came from lesser conferences. UConn won 3 of those 5. It's very possible that UConn will end up in one of the Power 5 conferences. 7 of the 30 runner-ups came from non-power conferences. A Power 5 men's tournament would field most of the top programs but would leave out a dozen or so traditionally strong programs. Allowing the MWC, AAC, CUSA, A-10, MVC, and Big East to play with the "Big Boys" in a national tourney would solve most of the problems.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    February 21, 2013
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    I think the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament will keep the BSC/FBS (top 5 conferences) from forming a new athletics association. The NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament brings in $740 Million/year for all the NCAA Division 1 conferences. The NCAA has a $10.8 Billion contract with CBS/TBS. 96% of that money goes to the conferences. I can't see schools like Duke, Kansas, UNC, Indiana, Kentucky, Syracuse, Maryland, and other basketball centric schools wanting to abandon that jackpot. What makes the NCAA Basketball Tournament exciting is the first weekend when the Davids play the Goliaths. That's why the TV ratings are so high and fans from the smaller schools and basketball-only schools like JMU, VCU, Liberty, Butler, Gonzaga, Davidson .... increase the excitement and TV ratings. It would be a shame to have another men's basketball tournament only for the top 5 BCS conferences. It would have most of the top teams but it wouldn't be as exciting or intriguing to the average fan. IMHO, a separate athletics association (only the top 5 conferences with no ties to the NCAA) would kill the men's basketball tournament. $10.8 Billion will prevent such a thing from happening. Folks like Coach K , Coach Williams, Coach Pitino, Coach Boeheim, and John Swofford will do everything to prevent that from ever happening.
    The activity is, as usual, being driven by football revenue and the rich schools don't care who gets left out. Many BB figures will lament the loss of Ganzaga and the C7 from the Big Boys Tourney. But in all likelyhood, the new division BB tournament would make even more $$ than March Madness. The resentments and foreseeable resistance makes me think that withdrawal from the NCAA is probable. March Madness may go the way of the NIT, which was once a big deal.
    The idea of stipend, alone, says there will be an increasing power, recruiting and status gap between Div I BB and the new division. Might as well take a poll on a name for the new Regulatory Body.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •