Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cookie bug report

FYI, Will/Chris/TSL Dev:

On the football chat board (which I refer to as "TSL Classic"), I hit the login button, and entered my user name and password. It showed "Welcome, BigDave" in the upper right hand corner of the page, but still had the "Login" button and the message on each thread that said in order to post, I had to log in.

If I hit either of the "Login" links, it just redirected me right back to the page I was on. I resolved the issue by clearing my browser's cookies and then was able to log in.

I am using Firefox on Windows 7.
    ----------------

Make the most of every opportunity for doing good in these evil days.

--Ephesians 5:16

This seems to be a pretty serious problem.

On my work computer using Firefox:

1. Clear cache/cookies
    2. Type "www.techsideline.com" and hit enter
    3. From the "Chat boards" drop down, choose "football board"
    4. Click the "Login to post" link above the messages
    5. Enter my username (BigDave) and password
    6. Click the login button
    7. At the top of the board, it says "Welcome, BigDave", but on the message board itself, it says "Login to Post"

No matter what I try (even using the login link up at the top of the board), I can't seem to get my work computer to log in now. And yes, cookies are enabled.

----------------

I'm not seeing this issue. Remove all techsideline and sportswar cookies and try again...let us know what happens.
    When replying to a specific post, use Reply With Quote

Quote Originally Posted by avhokie View Post
    I'm not seeing this issue. Remove all techsideline and sportswar cookies and try again...let us know what happens.
    You missed step 1. "1. Clear cache/cookies." I already removed all sportswar (and everything else) cookies.
    ----------------

Incidentally, I just went through the same exercise on Chrome with the same result.

----------------

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    You missed step 1. "1. Clear cache/cookies." I already removed all sportswar (and everything else) cookies.
    Didnt know if you had covered both techsideline and sportswar cookies
    When replying to a specific post, use Reply With Quote

FYI, Will/Chris/TSL Dev:

On the football chat board (which I refer to as "TSL Classic"), I hit the login button, and entered my user name and password. It showed "Welcome, BigDave" in the upper right hand corner of the page, but still had the "Login" button and the message on each thread that said in order to post, I had to log in.

If I hit either of the "Login" links, it just redirected me right back to the page I was on. I resolved the issue by clearing my browser's cookies and then was able to log in.

I am using Firefox on Windows 7.
    Dave: Don't know what to tell you on this. Do you have extra-special razmatazz security/protection enabled that your average person would not?
    Always use "Reply With Quote", so everyone knows to whom you're responding.

You don't specify, but I'm going to assume that while this is happening, you CAN successfully post on the vB boards.

if so, here is what fixes this issue:

1) Go to vB boards.
    2) Click logout at top tight
    3) Go to Chat board and login
    4) Logout
    5) Now login at chat boards again

No clue why this works, but I suspect it's related to some code that is attempting to managed 2 separate cookies (vB + everything else) for the purposes of single sign on. I've noticed frequent instances of being logged in to 1/2 of the system (vB) or the other (everything else). When this happens you can some nasty redirect loops that I'm sure at the codes attempt to redirect you to a login page.

The only thing I can figure is that each cookie is using it's own timestamp for session duration. If these timestamps drift even a ms, I can easily see how something like this happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Stewart View Post
    Dave: Don't know what to tell you on this. Do you have extra-special razmatazz security/protection enabled that your average person would not?
    No. None whatsoever. We don't have any kind of internet monitoring/blocking/etc and the only security software on my work PC is McAfee antivirus.

I was able to get in subsequent to typing this and it may have been what VTGolfer said that did it. Oddly enough, once I got in, even though I cleared the cache and cookies, I could never reproduce the problem again.
    ----------------

No. None whatsoever. We don't have any kind of internet monitoring/blocking/etc and the only security software on my work PC is McAfee antivirus.

I was able to get in subsequent to typing this and it may have been what VTGolfer said that did it. Oddly enough, once I got in, even though I cleared the cache and cookies, I could never reproduce the problem again.
    Others were experiencing this issue, and our programmer says that he just found and fixed a bug in his code.

Let me know if you see it again, thanks.
    Always use "Reply With Quote", so everyone knows to whom you're responding.