Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    I can't understand why the BCS would pay so much for Notre Dame. I mean what other options does Notre Dame have? Can ND tell the BCS that if they don't pay this astronomical amount that they will not participate? It doesn't make sense from that perspective. Where is NDs leverage in this negotiation?
    ND could do exactly that (just like the B1G and the Pac12 did for the Bowl Alliance). could you imagine a scenario where ND was #1 or #2 in the polls and they accepted a bid to the Gator Bowl because they weren't part of the BCS? the BCS had to cover their bases and ensure all 120+FBS schools were on board for their #1 v #2 plan, and ND was the one independent school that had the potential and the leverage to take advantage.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

Still doesn't make sense to me. I can understand a modest payment like for the other independants, but it seems to me that the BCS should be willing to let ND walk or join a conference rather than subsidize their independence to this amount.

Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    ND could do exactly that (just like the B1G and the Pac12 did for the Bowl Alliance). could you imagine a scenario where ND was #1 or #2 in the polls and they accepted a bid to the Gator Bowl because they weren't part of the BCS? the BCS had to cover their bases and ensure all 120+FBS schools were on board for their #1 v #2 plan, and ND was the one independent school that had the potential and the leverage to take advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    Actors get paid by studios when the don't act, lawyers get paid on retainer. The BCS pays Notre Dame on retainer.
    That doesn't make sense. Actors and lawyers get paid on retainer as a way of reserving their services when you need them. It's a way of compensating those professionals for foregoing income they could be earning by pursuing other business opportunities. In this regard, what other options does Notre Dame have? You either get selected for a BCS game or you don't. It's not like they're going to go to the NFL if they don't get paid. This doesn't seem like an apt comparison to me.
    Last edited by hokieball; Tue Sep 17 2013 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie CPA View Post
    FTFY... Only four spots available. I think paring down the available pool to 10 conference champions is essential to keeping the entire season interesting. I never understood the logic of allowing a conference runner-up to play for (much less win) the national championship. How you gonna tell me you're national champs if you couldn't even win your conference championship? That's just stupid.
    Yep. And I feel the same about the basketball championship. You play how many conference BB games a year AND a conference tourney and it all means nothing? Why bother? Just for NCAA seeding? What a joke.

If you feel that way. How do you think Alabama privately feels? How do you think Michigan feels? How about Oregon?

Now ask yourself why teams are joining or staying in mega conferences? There was a time when teams left conferences and went independent. We are now seeing the opposite and the long term the power is in the mega conferences and long term ND's administration (not their fans) knows it.

Still doesn't make sense to me. I can understand a modest payment like for the other independants, but it seems to me that the BCS should be willing to let ND walk or join a conference rather than subsidize their independence to this amount.

why would "the BCS" care? "The BCS" cares about max revenue generation. do you think their bowl and TV deals are worth more or less without ND? "the BCS" was not about being fair, or competition, or anything other than money. it was "how to we make people happy by pairing up the top 2 teams in the country while maximizing revenue for all of us like never before?".

ND wasn't going to be forced into anything. ND would have happily stayed independent had "the BCS" not allowed them to join the party. ND would have struck their own ridiculous bowl deals and ND would have laughed their asses off had they been top 2 like last year and beaten a top 10 team in their non-BCS bowl leaving us with a potential split championship.

i think people discount ND's leverage a little too much, and i don't think we see ND in a league for the next 12 years of the playoff agreement. i'll reserve the right to change my mind should the format (or general landscape) change between now and then.

super league's are nice if it all plays out on paper like people would like it to, but the reality is there are 120+ schools all looking out for #1. i think we're just as likely to see leagues split back into 8-10 team regional leagues as we are to see 14-20 team leagues stick long term. time will tell.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

I just find it hard to believe that this is the whole story. When I say "the BCS" I really mean all the other BCS conference participants. And I guess it is true that that is not who is on the other side of the negotiating table with Notre Dame. However, if I look at this as a negotiated process, what ND brings to this deal is incredibly weak vs what the other conferences bring for even less payout.

Now, you can argue the "BCS" is not the other conferences, it is a small entity that is putting on bowl games. Fine, but what are they getting with ND that is worth $2M/year even when they don't play in the BCS? What other option does ND have? Make a deal with the Gator Bowl instead of the BCS? Hardly. It seems that even you discount the impact the other conferences have on the BCS, there is no reason for the BCS to give that money away. Something doesn't add up.

why would "the BCS" care? "The BCS" cares about max revenue generation. do you think their bowl and TV deals are worth more or less without ND? "the BCS" was not about being fair, or competition, or anything other than money. it was "how to we make people happy by pairing up the top 2 teams in the country while maximizing revenue for all of us like never before?".

ND wasn't going to be forced into anything. ND would have happily stayed independent had "the BCS" not allowed them to join the party. ND would have struck their own ridiculous bowl deals and ND would have laughed their asses off had they been top 2 like last year and beaten a top 10 team in their non-BCS bowl leaving us with a potential split championship.

i think people discount ND's leverage a little too much, and i don't think we see ND in a league for the next 12 years of the playoff agreement. i'll reserve the right to change my mind should the format (or general landscape) change between now and then.

super league's are nice if it all plays out on paper like people would like it to, but the reality is there are 120+ schools all looking out for #1. i think we're just as likely to see leagues split back into 8-10 team regional leagues as we are to see 14-20 team leagues stick long term. time will tell.

I just find it hard to believe that this is the whole story. When I say "the BCS" I really mean all the other BCS conference participants. And I guess it is true that that is not who is on the other side of the negotiating table with Notre Dame. However, if I look at this as a negotiated process, what ND brings to this deal is incredibly weak vs what the other conferences bring for even less payout.

Now, you can argue the "BCS" is not the other conferences, it is a small entity that is putting on bowl games. Fine, but what are they getting with ND that is worth $2M/year even when they don't play in the BCS? What other option does ND have? Make a deal with the Gator Bowl instead of the BCS? Hardly. It seems that even you discount the impact the other conferences have on the BCS, there is no reason for the BCS to give that money away. Something doesn't add up.
    When I say "BCS", I'm talking about the bowls AND the conferences. They're all better off with ND in the picture than out if it (financially).

FTR, I HATE the Domers, but I understand how and why we're all where we are with regards to them and college football's post-season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

In the last five years we have seen: PAC pick up Colorado and Utah, the SEC pick up A&M and Missouri, the ACC pick up Pitt and Syracuse and the B!G 10 pick up Nebraska, Rutgers and Maryland...and even with that you think we are just as likely to see conferences split as grow?

If so, that goes against all the new revenue that is being made with the mega conferences (dwarfs just 10 years ago) and all of the future revenue that can be made if we get to a 8 and probably 16 team playoff from the mega conferences.

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    In the last five years we have seen: PAC pick up Colorado and Utah, the SEC pick up A&M and Missouri, the ACC pick up Pitt and Syracuse and the B!G 10 pick up Nebraska, Rutgers and Maryland...and even with that you think we are just as likely to see conferences split as grow?

If so, that goes against all the new revenue that is being made with the mega conferences (dwarfs just 10 years ago) and all of the future revenue that can be made if we get to a 8 and probably 16 team playoff from the mega conferences.
    i didn't say more likely, i said just as likely. i'm just not convinced there isn't a bubble for all this revenue. let's not forget the WAC was going to be a 16 team media super conference in the 1990's. it's not easy to get 14+ schools to agree how to generate and share revenue. at some point, i feel some will be unhappy and the house of cards will crumble. i could also be wrong and the conferences grow SO big that groups of schools within the conferences happily form divisions that coexist for the sake of greater revenue.

what i can say for sure is that it doesn't make any sense that 14+ schools can happily agree with each other, so if it works, it's because they all find ways to compromise for the sake of generating greater revenue as a group....and i'm sTILL not convinced that compromise makes for long term happiness.