Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Interesting note about who gets paid by the BCS

I am reading a new book called Saturday Millionaires by Kristi Dosh and she writes a chapter about the finances of college football and how football essentially funds all of collegiate athletics except for men's basketball. In her discussion on BCS payouts one thing really surprised me...

I am paraphrasing here but it says that each conference gets over 17 million for the participation of their conference champion. Also, if a conference gets an at-large team into the BCS as well, that is worth an additional 6.1 million in payout to the conference. I knew these facts already and I also knew that an additional at-large team only added 6.1 million to the pot. Here is the big story, now with 14 members, if the ACC gets one school into the BCS, that will mean that each school will take home on average $1.2 million. We all know there are other factors involved in the final payout to conference members but this number is strikingly lower than anyone would expect...especially when you hear about Notre Dame in a minute. If a second team gets in the average payout rises to $1.65 million. Still lower than I expected.

Now here is what will fire most of you up. Notre Dame has a deal with the BCS...even if they are not a part of the BCS. Under the current BCS deal, Notre Dame makes $1.8 million dollars WHEN THEY ARE NOT SELECTED FOR THE BCS!!! I am not kidding here. When ND is part of the BCS like they were last season, they take home $6.1 million just like an at-large conference school. Of course, they do not share that money with anyone...at all. The biggest shocker for me is that they make more on the BCS without even participating in it, than an ACC school does when an ACC team gets an at-large birth...which has only happened once in the history of the league thanks to Tech's participation in the Sugar Bowl against Michigan.

In addition, to Notre Dame, BYU, Army and Navy also make money off the BCS. Each of the three schools are paid $100,000 annually by the BCS. That is right, they get paid too for not participating but not to the extent that the folks in South Bend get paid off.

Now I am really interested in seeing how the money works for the college football playoff. If ND continues to get paid for non performance better than a member school gets paid for performance, I am about to call John Swofford the biggest moron in collegiate athletics for giving the Irish such a sweetheart deal to become member #15.

Just some Monday morning thoughts...fire away...
    Last edited by CobbCountyHokie; Mon Sep 16 2013 at 09:37 AM.

It's no different than a thousand other business arrangements.

Quote Originally Posted by CobbCountyHokie View Post
    Under the current BCS deal, Notre Dame makes $1.8 million dollars WHEN THEY ARE NOT SELECTED FOR THE BCS!!!. I am not kidding here. When ND is part of the BCS like they were last season, they take home $6.1 million just like an at-large conference school. Of course, they do not share that money with anyone...at all. The biggest shocker for me is that they make more on the BCS without even participating in it, than an ACC school does when an ACC team gets an at-large birth...which has only happened once in the history of the league thanks to Tech's participation in the Sugar Bowl against Michigan.

If ND continues to get paid for non performance better than a member school gets paid for performance, I am about to call John Swofford the biggest moron in collegiate athletics for giving the Irish such a sweetheart deal to become member #15.
    Actors get paid by studios when the don't act, lawyers get paid on retainer. The BCS pays Notre Dame on retainer.

It's not the fault of the BCS that the ACC diluted itself with football programs that have no TV appeal whatsoever. This has two negative effects: 1. an increased likelihood that ACC champ will be a ratings dud and create a bad BCS matchup and 2. it dilutes the league payout.

Your numbers make perfect sense to me and there is nothing Swofford could do to change it. Why would the BCS pay the ACC more now that Pitt and Syracuse are in the ACC? The BCS still only gets 1-2 ACC schools each year, but now we divide the pot by 14.

I'm not a fan of Swofford but he didn't give away a 'sweetheart deal' because he doesn't exactly have a top shelf product to sell. The threat of Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, or Pitt et al. as a league champion probably looms over any negotiations.
    Last edited by lawhokie; Mon Sep 16 2013 at 09:54 AM.

I am reading a new book called Saturday Millionaires by Kristi Dosh and she writes a chapter about the finances of college football and how football essentially funds all of collegiate athletics except for men's basketball. In her discussion on BCS payouts one thing really surprised me...

I am paraphrasing here but it says that each conference gets over 17 million for the participation of their conference champion. Also, if a conference gets an at-large team into the BCS as well, that is worth an additional 6.1 million in payout to the conference. I knew these facts already and I also knew that an additional at-large team only added 6.1 million to the pot. Here is the big story, now with 14 members, if the ACC gets one school into the BCS, that will mean that each school will take home on average $1.2 million. We all know there are other factors involved in the final payout to conference members but this number is strikingly lower than anyone would expect...especially when you hear about Notre Dame in a minute. If a second team gets in the average payout rises to $1.65 million. Still lower than I expected.

Now here is what will fire most of you up. Notre Dame has a deal with the BCS...even if they are not a part of the BCS. Under the current BCS deal, Notre Dame makes $1.8 million dollars WHEN THEY ARE NOT SELECTED FOR THE BCS!!! I am not kidding here. When ND is part of the BCS like they were last season, they take home $6.1 million just like an at-large conference school. Of course, they do not share that money with anyone...at all. The biggest shocker for me is that they make more on the BCS without even participating in it, than an ACC school does when an ACC team gets an at-large birth...which has only happened once in the history of the league thanks to Tech's participation in the Sugar Bowl against Michigan.

In addition, to Notre Dame, BYU, Army and Navy also make money off the BCS. Each of the three schools are paid $100,000 annually by the BCS. That is right, they get paid too for not participating but not to the extent that the folks in South Bend get paid off.

Now I am really interested in seeing how the money works for the college football playoff. If ND continues to get paid for non performance better than a member school gets paid for performance, I am about to call John Swofford the biggest moron in collegiate athletics for giving the Irish such a sweetheart deal to become member #15.

The BCS payout for non participating teams does take me back. I'll definitely get a hold of this to read more.

Football playoff needs to be comprised of only teams in conferences that have a conference championship game. Need to force ND's hand.

You'll have to get the playoff sponsors to eliminate all ND special deals before that can happen and I just don't see that occurring in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by hokie4ever View Post
    Football playoff needs to be comprised of only teams in conferences that have a conference championship game. Need to force ND's hand.

Quote Originally Posted by hokie4ever View Post
    Football playoff needs to be comprised of only teams who have won conferences that have a conference championship game. Need to force ND's hand.
    FTFY... Only four spots available. I think paring down the available pool to 10 conference champions is essential to keeping the entire season interesting. I never understood the logic of allowing a conference runner-up to play for (much less win) the national championship. How you gonna tell me you're national champs if you couldn't even win your conference championship? That's just stupid.
    *.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. *.*.*.*.*.*

I just wish we would STOP with the zone blocking read option crap and line up in the I, put a hat on a hat and run the tailback behind the fullback through a designated gosh-danged hole. There is NO REASON why this program shouldn't be able to find 5 fat guys who can move some people out of the way and clear a lane for a back to get through!

By the way...I just heard from a very good source that the Notre Dame "retainer" is still in effect for the new college football playoff. In fact, sources say that they may be getting a raise to possibly over $3 million per year for not making the playoff.

Under the current BCS deal, Notre Dame makes $1.8 million dollars WHEN THEY ARE NOT SELECTED FOR THE BCS!!!
    you mean like how Duke gets paid $1.8M of BCS money from the ACC even when they are not in the BCS? the $1.8M number comes from the average payout per school across the 6 AQ conferences, so i am totally ok with that.

what i'm not ok with is ND getting the at-large money on top of that when they do make it. i think ND should get either/or. take the at-large money in full when you qualify OR take an annual payout to help with budgeting.

as far as for the upcoming playoff, it wouldn't surprise me if ND is getting something guaranteed. i mean, the ACC is getting guaranteed money from the playoff even if we never send a team. ND has a seat at the table, and the TV networks who are paying the bills want them involved. nothing we can do about that.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    you mean like how Duke gets paid $1.8M of BCS money from the ACC even when they are not in the BCS? the $1.8M number comes from the average payout per school across the 6 AQ conferences, so i am totally ok with that.

what i'm not ok with is ND getting the at-large money on top of that when they do make it. i think ND should get either/or. take the at-large money in full when you qualify OR take an annual payout to help with budgeting.

as far as for the upcoming playoff, it wouldn't surprise me if ND is getting something guaranteed. i mean, the ACC is getting guaranteed money from the playoff even if we never send a team. ND has a seat at the table, and the TV networks who are paying the bills want them involved. nothing we can do about that.
    I don't think ND gets a full share as an at-large. I could be wrong.
    "Knowledge is good"

--Emil Faber, 1904

I can't understand why the BCS would pay so much for Notre Dame. I mean what other options does Notre Dame have? Can ND tell the BCS that if they don't pay this astronomical amount that they will not participate? It doesn't make sense from that perspective. Where is NDs leverage in this negotiation?