Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by I85Hokie View Post
    I guess "there can be only one" Dude of WV.
    Can't there be none? The guy is worthless as a source. Sylvia Browne is correct more often.

ok
    It always ends badly, or it wouldn't end ...Jerry Maguire

OK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ancient Hokie View Post
    I would hate for this thread to scroll off the board. It needs to be easily accessible the next time this guy says he has big news coming.
    It always ends badly, or it wouldn't end ...Jerry Maguire

Quote Originally Posted by Manbearpig View Post
    Can't there be none? The guy is worthless as a source. Sylvia Browne is correct more often.
    I prefer Miss Cleo

first DOD charter is national defense NOT sports. they have no authority. I dont know if you know the three branches of government. THe DoD is part of the Executive branch led by the president. THEY EXECUTE THE LAWS, the Congress MAKES the LAWS and Courts INTERPRET THE LAWS. Unless, Congress makes a new law authorizing sports participation, DOD cannot do anything. Also, if they are granted an exception, then why cant other schools such as Miami Ohio apply????

Second, any association is not going to based on personalities or schools but ability to pay. ABILITY TO SUBSIDIZE STUDENT ATHLETES WITH STIPENDS, its going to based on willingness to raise the number of minimum number of athletic scholarships ands sports. Conferences will be able through their resources to balance this out through their expanded revenues. Independents well, I see only 1 that can do it.

Its going to be pretty much cut and dry, and if Army, Navy and Air Force can follow these rules find.

Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    There are 3 DI-A football programs in the state of New York (you forgot Army). I am pretty sure that the Big Ten does not have Army on its radar. Also, I am pretty sure that Army and Navy (they would have to be a package deal) has no desire to join the Big Ten. However, I do see 2 things about Army that could be appealing to the Big Ten.

1. West Point, NY is not that far from New York City (maybe a 45 minute drive).
    2. Having 2 Federal universities as members of the Big Ten may be looked favorably upon by the Federal Government, which could benefit the CIC when it is applying for research grants or bidding for federal contracts.

I have a feeling that if the power conferences do decide to do something that changes the current structure, then they may be forced to include Air Force, Army, and Navy in their plan. I do not see DoD and Congress allowing the 3 academies being left out of the party because the TV exposure is too valuable of a recruiting tool for them. I do not mean for the academies, but the branch of service.