Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

So much for Louisville bringing up their academic rankings

US News 2014 ranking for U of L is 161, down from 160. I guess it was too much to expect them to move up any time soon.

WVU dropped as well. IIRC they were 161 last year, just one spot behind Louisville. They are now 170.

Quote Originally Posted by Truthahn View Post
    US News 2014 ranking for U of L is 161, down from 160. I guess it was too much to expect them to move up any time soon.

WVU dropped as well. IIRC they were 161 last year, just one spot behind Louisville. They are now 170.
    I was told that WVU accepts a lot of our former US military men and women. In my book, that's a plus. It's the first one I've ever discovered for anything WVU, but it's a big one for me.

Tech moved up to #69 (from #72). FSU and NCSU moved up. NCSU #101. I still don't place too much credibility into magazine college rankings. There is some truth in them but they are biased as are most rankings. Some colleges give elevated SAT/ACT scores to boost their rankings. Some schools are ranked higher just based on their "reputation" or geographic location.

In a series of tubes, filled mostly with cats
    So much for Louisville bringing up their academic rankings .
    Do you really believe things can change in a single year? If they are committed it will take at least a few years if not more.

Ranking colleges with precision is ridiculous....

I'm all for ranking colleges into tiers, but to rank one college 55 and another 62 is extremely subjective. I think it does a disservice to the real purpose of education and provides incentives for universities to focus on manipulating the statistics. We all get suckered into the US News rankings and they developed a great branding strategy. What do exact rankings mean in the end? Nada.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne Hokie View Post
    Do you really believe things can change in a single year? If they are committed it will take at least a few years if not more.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    Tech moved up to #69 (from #72). FSU and NCSU moved up. NCSU #101. I still don't place too much credibility into magazine college rankings. There is some truth in them but they are biased as are most rankings. Some colleges give elevated SAT/ACT scores to boost their rankings. Some schools are ranked higher just based on their "reputation" or geographic location.
    There are definitely ways to game the system.

PSU, for instance, has its satellite campuses. Main Campus in State College only gets the top-qualified freshmen (and athletes/cheerleaders/band members and the like, but they're a small minority). They're the ones who are least likely to flunk out and suffer attrition before graduation. Everyone else goes through a satellite campus for a couple of years before transferring to Main.

In effect, PSU creates an artificially boosted rating for its Main Campus, which is all anyone looks at when they start researching PSU, creating more demand for their university. I've heard estimates that if VT had a similar feeder system that our rankings would get boosted significantly.

WRT WVU, I don't hold their low rankings against them. I hate WVU as much as the next guy, but WVU's mission of providing a university education for an economically depressed state means that a lot of the in state high school kids they take are not truly ready for college. It's why WVU has a reputation as a party school. WVU could be more selective, and their top performers are excellent students, but that would counter their purpose in providing a good university education (when the students are sober enough for it) for the state of West Virginia.

WVU simply can't boost its academic standings and keep its purpose intact. Not unless the secondary educational system in West Virginia drastically changes for the good.

Quote Originally Posted by Shut Up Brent View Post

PSU, for instance, has its satellite campuses. Main Campus in State College only gets the top-qualified freshmen (and athletes/cheerleaders/band members and the like, but they're a small minority). They're the ones who are least likely to flunk out and suffer attrition before graduation. Everyone else goes through a satellite campus for a couple of years before transferring to Main.

In effect, PSU creates an artificially boosted rating for its Main Campus, which is all anyone looks at when they start researching PSU, creating more demand for their university. I've heard estimates that if VT had a similar feeder system that our rankings would get boosted significantly.

WRT WVU, I don't hold their low rankings against them. I hate WVU as much as the next guy, but WVU's mission of providing a university education for an economically depressed state means that a lot of the in state high school kids they take are not truly ready for college. It's why WVU has a reputation as a party school. WVU could be more selective, and their top performers are excellent students, but that would counter their purpose in providing a good university education (when the students are sober enough for it) for the state of West Virginia.

WVU simply can't boost its academic standings and keep its purpose intact. Not unless the secondary educational system in West Virginia drastically changes for the good.
    I thought WVU took almost anyone that applied from out of state too so they could collect higher tuition from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Shut Up Brent View Post

If VT wants to get up to W&M/UVa level the easy step is to reduce the size of incoming classes and drop certain programs. Steger commissioned a study a few years back as to why we are consistently behind those other 2 state schools. Our top 1,000 incoming students every year are on par or better than those other 2. It's the fact that as a larger school, our bottom cut off is lower which hurts us.

And if you look at how many of those rankings are done, having a large Ag school and large Edu school are hurting us. In general they don't bring in the students with SAT/ACT, grades, class rank, etc. like future doctors, lawyers, engineers, etc. And they don't bring in the research money like those other high profile programs which also affects the ratings.

Don't misunderstand me. I love having the Ag and Edu programs and would not advocate reducing our university's size. I think we can continue to improve however the increases will be incremental not big jumps.

I think being an AAU school is more important than these magazine rankings. And we are ranked above some AAU schools according to these ratings.

meh, i'd apply +/-5 to 10% on these things. they provide a rough shape of the academic hierarchy but as someone else stated, they're heavily weighted in some areas that provide advantages to certain schools.
    It's not that you are ignorant, it's just that you know so much that isn't so.

No, I don't put any stock in a one point change in one year, or even much in a 5% cha

I just noticed it, and it is fun to see where everyone ends up on the list. So many people complained about Louisville's ranking last year, and that it was just one off of WVU's that I noted it when going through the list.

My disappointment is that JMU is now 6th on the South regional list. I think JMU should be ranked with the national list by now. Plus, IIRC they were higher on the South list last year. ODU is on the national list, for example, and I think JMU should even be ranked higher than ODU. I wonder how they decide that?

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne Hokie View Post