Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    Nice wins, but I wouldn't get too excited just yet. Clemson win was nice, but it was by just 3 and at home. Result might have been different Between the Hedges or at a neutral sight. Miami, also at home, lucked out a bit and UF probably not one of the 4 best teams in the SEC. ACC lost to the SEC's best team by 25 and the Pac12's best team by 49. The conference is still way behind, but it has been a good start.
    I'll take close wins over close losses any day! ACC teams are used to close losses, so enjoy this now!
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    That's the weird thing about Strength of Schedule and the Conference thing...it forces you to want your rivals that you recruit the most against to win OOC games so you don't hear trash from the other conferences. However, as the SEC has proven...playing in a conference with great teams gets great players. Just like the ACC does in basketball.
    Absolutely! We need our ACC brothers to win their OOC games! The more OOC wins we get, the less crap we'll hear from the talking heads. After the first weekend, remember hearing a talking head say how the Big-10, Pac-12 & Big-12 need to step their game up to compete with the SEC. Needless to say, leaving the ACC out was definitely intentional. Basically we're an afterthought in the minds of football fans, and the only way to change that is to win our OOC games...all of our OOC games! So hold your nose and pull for our ACC brothers.

Don't wank if you don't...lol
    - David Byrne

The key here is PERCEPTION. The ACC is perceived to be weak for two reasons:
    (1) no teams contending for MNC in many years
    (2) many losses OOC - especially our top teams.

The best news for the ACC so far is FSU & Clemson in the top-10. Clemson's win over UGA was HUGE for perception. FSU's Labor Day win - looking impressive with an exciting new QB also aids the perception. The key here is for these teams not to stumble against lesser teams and continue to win OOC. I think an example of how bad the ACC is perceived is the year Clemson and GT played for the ACC Championship after both being destroyed by their in-state SEC rivals... neither of which were in the SEC Champ game. We need our best teams to win big OOC games. And it would help if one of them ran the table and at least was part of the MNC conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie CPA View Post
    He didn't say anything about Louiseville rolling over the ACC. He said the AAC... The conference rising from the Big East ashes. I really HATE that they chose that as their name. They need to be demolished if for no other reason than to get rid of that acronym so close to our own!
    For now on, let's say "american" with a small "a." AAC looks too much like ACC. My apologies to Truthahn. U of L should roll over the american teams this fall.

Quote Originally Posted by gman86 View Post
    I think an example of how bad the ACC is perceived is the year Clemson and GT played for the ACC Championship after both being destroyed by their in-state SEC rivals... neither of which were in the SEC Champ game.
    That had to be the worst year in ACC history (for our national rep). We need Clemson to knock off USC-E, and GT to knock off UGA, whether or not they make it into the ACCCG! Dropping those two eggs at the end of the year just kills our rep, no matter how much good will we've built up over the entire season.
    - David Byrne

Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post
    That had to be the worst year in ACC history (for our national rep). We need Clemson to knock off USC-E, and GT to knock off UGA, whether or not they make it into the ACCCG! Dropping those two eggs at the end of the year just kills our rep, no matter how much good will we've built up over the entire season.
    Nope. I think the worst was when Wake Forest won the conference championship. There isn't anything comparable to that in any other league.

Quote Originally Posted by hokieball View Post
    Nope. I think the worst was when Wake Forest won the conference championship. There isn't anything comparable to that in any other league.
    Yes, that year was horrid as well. Cinderella stories like Wake are only good if they finish the job and win their BCS Bowl game. Wake got chomped by the Ville in the OB... back when the talk was how weak the Big East was.

Didn't Northwestern play in the Rose Bowl a decade ago or so? That's the closest comparison I can think of. No way the SEC will let Vandy win that league, LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by gman86 View Post
    Yes, that year was horrid as well. Cinderella stories like Wake are only good if they finish the job and win their BCS Bowl game. Wake got chomped by the Ville in the OB... back when the talk was how weak the Big East was.

Didn't Northwestern play in the Rose Bowl a decade ago or so? That's the closest comparison I can think of. No way the SEC will let Vandy win that league, LOL!
    While it's not a "no-name" team, Wisconsin DID win the B1G after a 7-5 regular season last year, which is pretty bad. But yeah, that's all I got.

Quote Originally Posted by Truthahn View Post
    There were no unexpected loses this week, even UNC beat Middle Tenn. GT lost to them last year about this time.

Comparing ourselves to the SEC is unnecessary. We don't have to be as good as the SEC pull ourselves out of "least of the Big Five". We just have to be better than one or two other big five conferences. So far this year, we are edging out the Big Ten and the Big 12, and you can at least say we are comparable to the PAC 12, too.
    I understand what you're saying and agree but I think long term our goal should be to pass the SEC. If you shoot for the stars and come up a short, you've still shot the moon (how many cliches can you put into one sentence?) The goal shouldn't be let's be #3

Banned
    Now the ACC has Louisville over Kentucky, Clemson over Georgia and Miami over Florida. I'll even add UVA over BYU. Just goes to show that college programs ebb and flow.