I am happy that this board stuck around

One of the reasons that I really enjoy this board is that we get into some really good conversation regarding that cross section between athletics and business. I also think that this board happens to have the most sanity of any of the boards. I just went onto the football chat board and thought that I needed to find some straight jackets and nets to reel in some of the crazies.

By the way, there is a great book coming out regarding the business of college football called Saturday Millionaires by Kristi Dosh. She is a sports business writer for espn.com and a lot of the topics that we talk about here are discussed in detail in her book. You can follow her on Twitter @SportsBizMiss and she usually has some really good insight.

If you want some good comic relief, feel free to follow Christopher Lambert aka @theDudeofWV. I thought his character assassination of Pitt during Monday night's game was priceless. I am guessing someone has a pretty serious case of ACC envy. Also for more comic relief you should check out @expansionrumors on Twitter. He claims that ESPN is not committed to an ACC Network unless "Stronger Miami, UNC, Va Tech, GT, and BC would do more." He left out FSU...but who am I to argue with such genius.

Finally, everyone is getting spun up over Time Warner taking on the Longhorn Network. The tiny little detail that ESPN glossed over in their press release is that it is ONLY for Time Warner's Texas customers. If you are a TWC customer outside of Texas, you still do not have access to it. Also, after almost two years of negotiations with TWC, do you really think ESPN got the price they were looking for?

OK...bring on the intelligent conversation...I am ready!

Quote Originally Posted by CobbCountyHokie View Post
    One of the reasons that I really enjoy this board is that we get into some really good conversation regarding that cross section between athletics and business. I also think that this board happens to have the most sanity of any of the boards. I just went onto the football chat board and thought that I needed to find some straight jackets and nets to reel in some of the crazies.

By the way, there is a great book coming out regarding the business of college football called Saturday Millionaires by Kristi Dosh. She is a sports business writer for espn.com and a lot of the topics that we talk about here are discussed in detail in her book. You can follow her on Twitter @SportsBizMiss and she usually has some really good insight.

If you want some good comic relief, feel free to follow Christopher Lambert aka @theDudeofWV. I thought his character assassination of Pitt during Monday night's game was priceless. I am guessing someone has a pretty serious case of ACC envy. Also for more comic relief you should check out @expansionrumors on Twitter. He claims that ESPN is not committed to an ACC Network unless "Stronger Miami, UNC, Va Tech, GT, and BC would do more." He left out FSU...but who am I to argue with such genius.

Finally, everyone is getting spun up over Time Warner taking on the Longhorn Network. The tiny little detail that ESPN glossed over in their press release is that it is ONLY for Time Warner's Texas customers. If you are a TWC customer outside of Texas, you still do not have access to it. Also, after almost two years of negotiations with TWC, do you really think ESPN got the price they were looking for?

Things are slow on this board now. It seems like it's up to Texas to get things moving again.

As for an ACCN, I feel it will come about in due time. ESPN has to see how their SECN does first and learn from their mistakes before launching another FBS conference network.

I also saw that the Big Sky Conference even has their football games on DirecTV's Audience channel.

Got to agree with you Cobb, this board keeps me hanging around more than any other board on TSL. I made a post about erasing 4 big plays on the football board and got slaughtered for suggesting that it would have been a different game if we had done that. I didn't say we didn't make them, I didn't say it wouldn't take work to fix them and I didn't say they didn't happen, but I did suggest that there is reason to believe we could be better in the future if we could fix our mistakes.

Anyway this board for the most part has very intelligent discussions even when some of us disagree on things.

i think this is by far the best and most informative board on this subject, mostly because a few of you either with info or unique perspectives elect to post here. and it lets hangers-on like me occasionally post a theory or ask a Q. hope y'all continue to stick around.

anyone know the timeframe for the NCAA announcing its playoff selection process? that should get things stirring

[QUOTE=CobbCountyHokie;850792]One of the reasons that I really enjoy this board

Agreed. Keep the info coming. Realignment is going to happen, and I still think that college football needs a Pete Rozelle to bring coordination to it.
    BCS level college football is a resource war, not a morality play.

FWIW, I totally agree with the 4 play statement. I didn't see original post but this is the most optimistic I've ever been after a large loss. The problems are fixable.

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    Got to agree with you Cobb, this board keeps me hanging around more than any other board on TSL. I made a post about erasing 4 big plays on the football board and got slaughtered for suggesting that it would have been a different game if we had done that. I didn't say we didn't make them, I didn't say it wouldn't take work to fix them and I didn't say they didn't happen, but I did suggest that there is reason to believe we could be better in the future if we could fix our mistakes.

Anyway this board for the most part has very intelligent discussions even when some of us disagree on things.

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post

I saw your comment on the football board and saw that you got completely pounded over it and that is exactly why I made that statement here. Frankly, I agree. If you take the two TDs from the kicking game and the pick six out of the game and you get a very tough 14-10 game. I was there in the lower deck of the Georgia Dome and I loved the way our defense played.

The latest TSL article says it all...Hokies better than we thought. That's all I was trying to say...well said GMSAHokie.

I saw your comment on the football board and saw that you got completely pounded over it and that is exactly why I made that statement here. Frankly, I agree. If you take the two TDs from the kicking game and the pick six out of the game and you get a very tough 14-10 game. I was there in the lower deck of the Georgia Dome and I loved the way our defense played.

Quote Originally Posted by daveinop View Post
    anyone know the timeframe for the NCAA announcing its playoff selection process? that should get things stirring
    If you are talking about the 4 team football playoff, the NCAA will not be announcing anything. The NCAA does not run the playoff the conferences do. It is managed by the same representatives who previously ran the BCS.

The framework for selecting the 4 teams has been announced and discussed. All that remains is to select and annouce the committee who will actually make the selections.

Here is an article with a quick summary of where things stand: http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ds-sources-say
    I don't always talk to UVa Grads but when I do I always order the Large Fries.