Good thing the big conferences want to separate themselves from lower tier...

Because FCS wins over FBS schools are not so hard to come by anymore. Michigan's loss to Appalachian State and Tech's loss to JMU a few years back were real shockers. Then you always had the occasional Villanova, Richmond and W&M wins over schools like Pitt, Rutgers, Duke, UVa or UNC. This week 6 FBS schools (maybe more since I didn't check the MAC or Sun Belt) lost to FCS opponents: UConn, Kansas State, Washington State, Iowa State, South Florida and San Diego State; not to mention WVU's squeaker over W&M and Illinois' squeaker over the Salukis. Had WVU lost to W&M, 3 schools in the Big 12 would have lost to FCS opponents. And I know WKU is now FBS with a decent head coach, but they beat Kentucky today.

I think the FCS and smaller FBS schools are laughing at some of the "big" schools... Virginia Tech included. I guess it shows the talent gap is closing. It also is a great time for these "big boys" to have an excuse to stop playing FCS schools.

[Edit: Oregon State instead on Washington State]
    Last edited by Calamitous; Sun Sep 01 2013 at 09:33 AM.

Washington State lost to Auburn
    [Edit: You must have meant Oregon State, in place of Washington State]
    Last edited by hokieball; Sun Sep 01 2013 at 08:13 AM.

Yup... Oregon State, not Wasu

Quote Originally Posted by hokieball View Post
    Washington State lost to Auburn
    [Edit: You must have meant Oregon State, in place of Washington State]
    I have northwest dyslexia. Eastern Washington vs Oregon State felt like Washington State vs Eastern Washington. It's the PAC-12, so my eastern bias forces me to not care about any of those schools..
    Last edited by Calamitous; Sun Sep 01 2013 at 09:36 AM.

Most of these upsets were made by teams at the top of 1-AA, and there's really very little difference between the bottom of 1-A like UConn, Iowa State, USF, etc., and the top of 1-AA. Kansas State's deterioration was more rapid than expected, but they were unranked in the preseason for a reason (living and dying by JUCO can cause that). Not sure how much Oregon State lost off of what was a perfectly fine defense last year, but they probably blew it the worst, followed shortly by Kansas State. Everyone else who struggled with, or lost to, a 1-AA was rather unsurprising.

Not so sure...

Quote Originally Posted by Synaesthesia View Post
    Most of these upsets were made by teams at the top of 1-AA, and there's really very little difference between the bottom of 1-A like UConn, Iowa State, USF, etc., and the top of 1-AA. Kansas State's deterioration was more rapid than expected, but they were unranked in the preseason for a reason (living and dying by JUCO can cause that). Not sure how much Oregon State lost off of what was a perfectly fine defense last year, but they probably blew it the worst, followed shortly by Kansas State. Everyone else who struggled with, or lost to, a 1-AA was rather unsurprising.
    SDSU lost by 21 to Eastern Illinois. The Aztecs shouldn't be that bad, especially considering they wanted to trade up for the BCS level with the Big East not too long ago. And UConn lost by 15 to Towson who isn't anywhere near top level FCS... and UConn was never in that game. And McNeese State laid 50+ points and a 30+ point victory over a South Florida team that once had a day in the Big East sun after Tech, Miami and BC departed. Hard sell for UConn to the ACC and B1G or SDSU to the PAC losing games like that IMHO. If UConn, SDSU and SoFla had lost those games in the last minute, then I'd say it wasn't shocking. But those 3 were completely manhandled. Plus, WVU needed everything they had to put W&M away.

I'd say the gap is closing between the bottom 2/3rds of the "power" conference schools and the top half of the FCS schools. I'm not sure I'd want Harvard or Holy Cross on my schedule these day. My point is: I think I undestand why the power conferences want to separate themselves before it becomes more embarrassing.

Every one of those teams, other than Oregon State and possibly Kansas State, would probably be left out in a major breakup of schools (e.g. "Division 4"). The real driver is, of course, the money, and most of it resides at the top of 1-A, and those programs wanting to keep more of it for themselves. The bottom-feeders like you mentioned just desperately don't want to get left out, because that tiny trickle they've been able to steal from the money spigot is basically the only thing separating them from every other unrecognizable 1-AA program.