Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    The Yankees are in the AL East, the Cowboys are in the NFC East, but if ND can stay independent and make it to the Football National Championship they will not move. However, where we disagree is whether the other schools in the long run are going to allow them to get there without being in a conference. There is going to be a new division of college football with a stipend and you will have to be in a conference to get to the Football top division National Championship. The good news for ND is the divisions will be small and you will still be able to play a national schedule and win your division and you are in the playoff. As big as ND is and they are big, they are not bigger than the rest of the top tier of college football and where they want to go with what will be a Billion Dollar Plus playoff for the top tier.
    See now I have seen or read nothing that has said the stipend(D4) will change the playoff. I have heard nothing about making it Conference champs or only conference members (Shutting out BYU and ND). The problem with this is the SEC will never agree to limit themselves to just one team so they like another way in. We help them their with our exclusion that we(All indys)have a road in. I just have a hard time believing that all the conference will come to an agreement that conference members only. Like I posted in another thread that the Big 10 is content where we are at. They don't want us as full members because that invites a big dog in their backyard. I just don't think any of this is likely. Who is going to vote to make us join a conference? The SEC may.. The Big 10 will be content because they know were we will go.. I just don't see them getting the votes to make this happen.

Quote Originally Posted by goldendomer View Post
    I understand where you're coming from. My first thought when this deal happened was shock that they went for it(The ACC) I viewed it as a weakening of the conference by being the only major conference to have a Partial football member. A lot of alumni thought we got hosed on the deal and should have agreed to fewer games but I thought it was fair. Up until the GoR I thought the ACC wasn't going to survive but Swofford pulled a rabbit out of his hat.

The more I view the deal though I see it can be a benefit to both sides. But I do understand/except that not everyone is excited over this deal. But I have to say I have been surprised that the overall tone from boards I visit has been generally positive.
    The ACC did it they had to do and Notre Dame did what they needed to do.

As an SEC fan, ND got exactly what they wanted in the deal...have their olympic sports taken care of in a viable conference. If there was a way that there other sports could compete without being tied down, I can guarantee that they would have never joined the ACC. IMO, ND got the best of the deal and will never join the ACC. Im willing to bet that the SEC will never win another championship before I'd bet ND joins a conference. Its a long standing tradition and they just need to have their other sports compete with quality opponents. NO other major conference would have offered such a sweet heart deal to them except the ACC. Im not even convinced that the B12 would have done it because it leaves your conference in limbo. Do you have 15 members or 16 members. There is no way you can sale your conference to quality expansion when you have unstable numbers. Texas would never join the ACC because ND would never join the ACC. The whole pod thing in the ACC is never going to exist because you have ND that cant win a pod because they don't play enough games. That was a terrible deal by the ACC and they should have forced ND's hand, and they likely wouldn't have worked because ND would have just joined the B10 if there hand was ultimately forced, but the ACC comes and saves the day.

Quote Originally Posted by geauxsaints View Post
    As an SEC fan, ND got exactly what they wanted in the deal...have their olympic sports taken care of in a viable conference. If there was a way that there other sports could compete without being tied down, I can guarantee that they would have never joined the ACC. IMO, ND got the best of the deal and will never join the ACC. Im willing to bet that the SEC will never win another championship before I'd bet ND joins a conference. Its a long standing tradition and they just need to have their other sports compete with quality opponents. NO other major conference would have offered such a sweet heart deal to them except the ACC. Im not even convinced that the B12 would have done it because it leaves your conference in limbo. Do you have 15 members or 16 members. There is no way you can sale your conference to quality expansion when you have unstable numbers. Texas would never join the ACC because ND would never join the ACC. The whole pod thing in the ACC is never going to exist because you have ND that cant win a pod because they don't play enough games. That was a terrible deal by the ACC and they should have forced ND's hand, and they likely wouldn't have worked because ND would have just joined the B10 if there hand was ultimately forced, but the ACC comes and saves the day.

We would never join the Big 10 in full.

I understand where you're coming from. My first thought when this deal happened was shock that they went for it(The ACC) I viewed it as a weakening of the conference by being the only major conference to have a Partial football member. A lot of alumni thought we got hosed on the deal and should have agreed to fewer games but I thought it was fair. Up until the GoR I thought the ACC wasn't going to survive but Swofford pulled a rabbit out of his hat.

The more I view the deal though I see it can be a benefit to both sides. But I do understand/except that not everyone is excited over this deal. But I have to say I have been surprised that the overall tone from boards I visit has been generally positive.
    It will remain positive as long as Notre Dame isn't seen as keeping the ACC stuck on 14 football members because the ACC is waiting on Notre Dame to reach 16. The long term schedule of 8 conference games per year with 14 members in 2 divisions stinks because the time between meetings with teams in the opposite division is 6 years. This is too long.

Everyone in the league is happy that they get to play Notre Dame every 3 years in football, and everyone is happy with the extra $1.5 million per team that the 5 games is bringing. We also look forward to competing with Notre Dame in the other 24 sports.

I think that the perception that the ACC is weak is because Notre Dame is still projecting independence. But when the public starts to see the rotation of all the ACC schools playing against Notre Dame football, it's going to look to the average viewer that Notre Dame is playing in the ACC. 5 games is almost half of Notre Dame's schedule every year. The independence is down to 3 games and the NBC contract for home games.

As long as Notre Dame doesn't cause the ACC to be hesitant on making decisions and moves regarding what it needs to do around 14 vs 16 or even 20 members, it's fine. If the ACC makes bad decisions because they have the wrong expectations of Notre Dame, that's not good.

The SEC will get 4 teams in the playoff (win your 4-5 team division and you are in) and so will the other Big 4...this stuff is everywhere if you want to see it. Last year this time you did not want to see ND leaving the Big East for the ACC...well?

See now I have seen or read nothing that has said the stipend(D4) will change the playoff. I have heard nothing about making it Conference champs or only conference members (Shutting out BYU and ND). The problem with this is the SEC will never agree to limit themselves to just one team so they like another way in. We help them their with our exclusion that we(All indys)have a road in. I just have a hard time believing that all the conference will come to an agreement that conference members only. Like I posted in another thread that the Big 10 is content where we are at. They don't want us as full members because that invites a big dog in their backyard. I just don't think any of this is likely. Who is going to vote to make us join a conference? The SEC may.. The Big 10 will be content because they know were we will go.. I just don't see them getting the votes to make this happen.

Therein lies the rub....

Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    It will remain positive as long as Notre Dame isn't seen as keeping the ACC stuck on 14 football members because the ACC is waiting on Notre Dame to reach 16. The long term schedule of 8 conference games per year with 14 members in 2 divisions stinks because the time between meetings with teams in the opposite division is 6 years. This is too long.
    Notre Dame will hold the ACC hostage at 14 or 15 teams, and won't care about the repercussions. I fully expect a day will come that every major conference is at 16 teams except for the ACC. I can see Notre Dame becoming a "full" member, but receiving special treatment by having to play only 5 conference games (3 games in their BC/SU/Pitt pod and 2 against other ACC schools). Either that, or I can see the ACC eventually conceding to allow Notre Dame to be eligible to win a 3 team BC/SU/Pitt ACC pod without being an ACC football member or playing at least 8 conference games. If this happens, Notre Dame will never have a reason to play as a REAL conference member. Either way, BC, Pitt and SU will continue to feel the main brunt of ND's wrath.

The domers will probably still cry foul with either deal above, as this will make them a football conference or quasi-conference member.

I admire your desire to always play the best. What's bull crap is you've always had the option to steal or spot in a big game. If it rotated conferences or something is be fine but it's always stealing a big East or acc spot which is horse crap

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk 4

That's a pretty simplistic view. Both ND and the ACC benefited from that deal.

Quote Originally Posted by geauxsaints View Post
    As an SEC fan, ND got exactly what they wanted in the deal...have their olympic sports taken care of in a viable conference. If there was a way that there other sports could compete without being tied down, I can guarantee that they would have never joined the ACC. IMO, ND got the best of the deal and will never join the ACC. That was a terrible deal by the ACC and they should have forced ND's hand, and they likely wouldn't have worked because ND would have just joined the B10 if there hand was ultimately forced, but the ACC comes and saves the day.
    And the fact that so many SEC fans come here to bash Texas just tells me that the last thing they want is a southwest pod with Texas and Oklahoma in the ACC. Why? Easy- because that would officially make the ACC the most important conference in the country. Plus, there wouldn't be many schools left for the SEC to get to 20, or even 16. The B1G is the baddest academic power in the US, but the ACC could challenge that too with Texas and OK in the conference. The P12 has the entire western 1/3 of the US to itself, so where would that put the SEC on the totem pole? The SEC would be a regional conference with middling academics who play really good football. That's it.

And conclusory statements about how Notre Dame could qualify for a playoff are silly. We could place Notre Dame in a northeast pod and let them claim to be independent. Let them play 5, 6, 7 or whatever number of games they want, and still let them qualify for the ACC championship. Some people, including me, think being independent is important to their identity.

Quote Originally Posted by hokiehunter07 View Post
    I admire your desire to always play the best. What's bull crap is you've always had the option to steal or spot in a big game. If it rotated conferences or something is be fine but it's always stealing a big East or acc spot which is horse crap

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk 4
    That's a micro not a macro view. In some cases, the spot that is 'stolen' would not exist if Notre Dame were not in the mix. The ACC, like any other contractual partner, looks to maximize its wealth - if the deal they sign involves Notre Dame being eligible for a bowl in their lineup then that was the best deal they could get. Step back and put yourself at the bargaining table before the deal is signed, not looking at the consequences.