Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by laphroaig View Post
    So immediate money is the reason to keep ND on the regular season schedule. Isn't allowing (BK's word used in the video) ND to keep these games on the schedule also allowing ND to take in more money than other schools. Division 1 football doesn't need a successful ND for D1 to be successful. D1 football did just fine when ND was irrelevant for years (the Davie years), didn't it?
    They did fine with us being in the gutter. The thing is I bet the AD's and Coaches will want us in full but at the Presidential level is were that support dies. Now I may be biased but I think College Football is better when we're competitive. Now that doesn't mean we should get everything we want but I think the Big 10 is happy with us maintaining our Independence. They don't want to invite another Big boy conference in their backyard. Not only that but inviting one of the biggest names in the game into to a rivals arms. I think the Big 10 is content where we are and won't push it. The SEC won't because they want the ability to get 2 teams in the playoff so they like the exclusion that we get.

And as long as there are conferences like the BigEast and the ACC - ND will never have to belong to one.

Quote Originally Posted by 133193Hokie View Post
    And as long as there are conferences like the BigEast and the ACC - ND will never have to belong to one.
    Exactly. Not saying that is bad really. The ACC got more out of us then the Big East ever could. I do believe though if the ACC held firm and waited for all the domino's to fall we may have joined in full. Now assuming the Big Ten was going to invite Maryland and Rutgers no matter what and Louisville would have been leaving the Big East we would have been in a pickle. We weren't going to stay in the Big East with the left-overs and the Big 12 was just a leverage ploy. We were never going to join them because we have nothing in common with them. The New Big East(C-7) out because as our AD said that joining the Catholic 7 would be good only for Catholicism and lousy for everything else. I know their is a lot of what-if's in there but it makes me wonder how close we would have come to joining in full.

I tend to agree. The ACC had desperation written all over it and ND knew it. Now the ACC is in a real pickle - how do you now get ND to go all of the way with you? Would have been tough to get ND all of the way before, but it will be even tougher now.

Quote Originally Posted by 133193Hokie View Post
    I tend to agree. The ACC had desperation written all over it and ND knew it. Now the ACC is in a real pickle - how do you now get ND to go all of the way with you? Would have been tough to get ND all of the way before, but it will be even tougher now.
    See that is why I don't see us joining in full anytime soon. If D-4 takes shape they will have independents from everything I have read about(except message boards). So I just don't see the need to join in full.

But I do believe that the relationship can/is beneficial for both parties.

The Yankees are in the AL East, the Cowboys are in the NFC East, but if ND can stay independent and make it to the Football National Championship they will not move. However, where we disagree is whether the other schools in the long run are going to allow them to get there without being in a conference. There is going to be a new division of college football with a stipend and you will have to be in a conference to get to the Football top division National Championship. The good news for ND is the divisions will be small and you will still be able to play a national schedule and win your division and you are in the playoff. As big as ND is and they are big, they are not bigger than the rest of the top tier of college football and where they want to go with what will be a Billion Dollar Plus playoff for the top tier.

Quote Originally Posted by goldendomer View Post
    Differentiation Through Independence -

The whole article is interesting but I pulled out just a section.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonbel...during-brands/

Exactly. Not saying that is bad really. The ACC got more out of us then the Big East ever could. I do believe though if the ACC held firm and waited for all the domino's to fall we may have joined in full.
    Since ND values their football independence over everything, had the ACC had held firm, ND would have just done the same deal with the Big-12. Once ND is backed into a corner to join a conference for all sports, they may have jumped conferences (long shot) to make a deal with the ACC, but odds are they would have gone "all in" with the Big-12. Although far from perfect, the ACC is probably in a better situation with ND now than if they had taken the Big-12 deal.

I felt the Big-12 was in worse situation than the ACC before ND joined, even with their bowl "deal" with the SEC. Conferences that have multiple long time member schools looking to, and/or actually jumping ship speaks volumes. Nebraska wanted out bad, and was invited to the Big-10. Colorado was working their exit plan behind the scenes with the Pac-10. Mizzou hiked their skirt up further than anyone begging for a Big-10 invite, only to be denied. They got lucky the SEC needed another school to balance the addition of aTm, who was looking to get out from under Big TX's oppressive demands of the Big-12. Guess ND noticed the same, and was still able to leverage a better deal (for them) using the Big-12's offer.
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

IMO, it will take an ND getting shut out of a 4 team playoff, even going 10-2 or 11-1. 10-2, and your alums can rationalize that independence wasn't a problem. 11-1, and get passed over by 2 SEC teams, the B1G champ and PAC champ and watch the fireworks begin.

Now this could be true.. It would take more then one time I bet though. ND admin would have to have an airtight case to bring to the Alumni and show them that it has to happen. The letter writing campaign and the threat of withholding donations will make the Admin very cautious. Heck when their were just "rumors" of us joining they Alumni started writing in earnest. The board to watch is ndnation(Mostly Alumni) and if they catch wind of any rumor they go on the offensive. Actually it is quite funny to watch.
    BCS level college football is a resource war, not a morality play.

At least the NYY and Cowboys are in conferences/leagues...

Differentiation Through Independence -

The whole article is interesting but I pulled out just a section.
    Just like Stech said below. All I know is that I was very excited in 2004 when Tech joined the ACC. With ND back in our lives, I feel very uncomfortable. It wasn't exactly a fair deal last time in the Big East and it's not really on the up-and-up now.

2004 to 2012 was a good time without ND, but short lived IMO.
    Last edited by Calamitous; Mon Aug 26 2013 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Calamitous View Post
    Just like Stech said below. All I know is that I was very excited in 2004 when Tech joined the ACC. With ND back in our lives, I feel very uncomfortable. It wasn't exactly a fair deal last time in the Big East and it's not really on the up-and-up now.

2004 to 2012 was a good time without ND, but short lived IMO.
    I understand where you're coming from. My first thought when this deal happened was shock that they went for it(The ACC) I viewed it as a weakening of the conference by being the only major conference to have a Partial football member. A lot of alumni thought we got hosed on the deal and should have agreed to fewer games but I thought it was fair. Up until the GoR I thought the ACC wasn't going to survive but Swofford pulled a rabbit out of his hat.

The more I view the deal though I see it can be a benefit to both sides. But I do understand/except that not everyone is excited over this deal. But I have to say I have been surprised that the overall tone from boards I visit has been generally positive.
    Last edited by goldendomer; Mon Aug 26 2013 at 11:05 PM.