Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

Post This explains why I believe we will never give up independence.

Differentiation Through Independence -
    The Fighting Irish football program has never belonged to a conference. For the last century, it has competed against the best competition it could play and committed itself to face an all or nothing mentality when it came to pursuing a national championship. While this has created numerous difficulties when it comes to scheduling and travel, it is also what makes the university uniquely identifiable. Notre Dame has drawn tremendous criticism for maintaining their independence during the ever shifting landscape of college sports, but such criticism also serves as proof that they are doing something right.

According to Swarbrick, “The more clearly defined and unique the brand, the greater the passions that attach to it. No sports fan is neutral when it comes to the New York Yankees, the Dallas Cowboys or Notre Dame Football. You can choose to fit in and go unnoticed, or you can choose to standout and be criticized. Of course, if you build your entire strategy on avoiding criticism, you’re setting yourself up for failure from day one.”

That being said, the greatest challenge a brand faces is (1) maximizing its value during its time as a market leader and (2) figuring out how to reinvent itself before its competitors catch on. Fortunately, Notre Dame has been able to do both.
    The whole article is interesting but I pulled out just a section.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonbel...during-brands/

Quote Originally Posted by goldendomer View Post

Here is a Brian Kelly interview and conference realignment comes up.

My thinking.......

I think Notre Dame will go into a league. Why? Simply they cannot recruit like they use to. Conferences most noteably SEC get the best talent. Sure if you guy's wanna stay INDY you can. But if playoff happens and conf. champs only make it then where will any smart BIGTIME recruit. It will not be INDY Notre Dame. When will this happen.? Well that is solid question. I would guess next 10 years. ND had to help ACC and vice versa. There is a reason. Both ACC and ND need each for the long haul. JMHO

Here is a Brian Kelly interview and conference realignment comes up.

The conference talk comes around the 8:40 mark. BK talks abut being "allowed" to keep the schedule they've had, playing some high profile games in the regular season. ND is "allowed" to keep the schedule because those other schools agree to play them. Solution to the "problem" of ND not being in conference (of course, it's not ND's problem, it's everybody else's "problem") - those schools he mentions on their schedule need just to stop scheduling ND. Refuse to play them until they are in a conference. ND is the tail wagging the BCS dog. Level the playing field (that is the money field) by not scheduling them. ND needs everybody else, not vice versa.

ND won't be making that decision. Unless you consider a drop to a lower division and never having am opportunity at a NC a real option. Just how long do you suppose bama

ND won't be making that decision. Just how long do you suppose Bama, OSU, Oregon, and FSU wish to allow them special privileges?

Quote Originally Posted by MrFantastic! View Post
    I think Notre Dame will go into a league. Why? Simply they cannot recruit like they use to. Conferences most noteably SEC get the best talent. Sure if you guy's wanna stay INDY you can. But if playoff happens and conf. champs only make it then where will any smart BIGTIME recruit. It will not be INDY Notre Dame. When will this happen.? Well that is solid question. I would guess next 10 years. ND had to help ACC and vice versa. There is a reason. Both ACC and ND need each for the long haul. JMHO
    We recruit really well now. Will that be affected later? Don't know . That is one reason the acc deal helps us, it get us in the south more and it will help us pull more elite recruits from there.

ND goes into a league the first day that they do not get special dispensation into the national championship playoff. Just like in basketball, it forced their hand and made them join a league. The playoff was the worst possible scenario for ND and it will ultimately force them out of independence. You can have your bullet proof brand but the minute you cannot win a championship then things will change.

Quote Originally Posted by laphroaig View Post
    The conference talk comes around the 8:40 mark. BK talks abut being "allowed" to keep the schedule they've had, playing some high profile games in the regular season. ND is "allowed" to keep the schedule because those other schools agree to play them. Solution to the "problem" of ND not being in conference (of course, it's not ND's problem, it's everybody else's "problem") - those schools he mentions on their schedule need just to stop scheduling ND. Refuse to play them until they are in a conference. ND is the tail wagging the BCS dog. Level the playing field (that is the money field) by not scheduling them. ND needs everybody else, not vice versa.

USC and Stanford already nixed the Big 10 and Pac 12 agreement to have cross conference games. The main reason that happened was the Notre Dame game would have been affected. They will not cancel that game with us, too much money and exposure.
    Last edited by goldendomer; Mon Aug 26 2013 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CobbCountyHokie View Post
    ND goes into a league the first day that they do not get special dispensation into the national championship playoff. Just like in basketball, it forced their hand and made them join a league. The playoff was the worst possible scenario for ND and it will ultimately force them out of independence. You can have your bullet proof brand but the minute you cannot win a championship then things will change.
    Now this could be true.. It would take more then one time I bet though. ND admin would have to have an airtight case to bring to the Alumni and show them that it has to happen. The letter writing campaign and the threat of withholding donations will make the Admin very cautious. Heck when their were just "rumors" of us joining they Alumni started writing in earnest. The board to watch is ndnation(Mostly Alumni) and if they catch wind of any rumor they go on the offensive. Actually it is quite funny to watch.

USC and Stanford already nixed the Big 10 and Pac 12 agreement to have cross conference games. The main reason that happened was the Notre Dame game would have been affected. They will not cancel that game with us, too much money and exposure.
    So immediate money is the reason to keep ND on the regular season schedule. Isn't allowing (BK's word used in the video) ND to keep these games on the schedule also allowing ND to take in more money than other schools. Division 1 football doesn't need a successful ND for D1 to be successful. D1 football did just fine when ND was irrelevant for years (the Davie years), didn't it?