Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    Well if Army doesn't want to come then I think Baylor and Tulane are options. However, there is this weird relationship between Texas and Texas Tech. The question is who does Texas want?

SEC: I see K-State, Okie State etc...they will want new states like all of the other Big Conferences. Think along those lines.

Texas will hold grudge on RED RAIDERS. Didnt they stir up something that hurt the LHN?

Answer me this question. Does ND want Navy and Army in the ACC and do they want to come?

PS I see all of the Big 4 going to 20 to keep the politicians at bay and the TV folks getting more eye balls. I am not sure the Big 4 see it that way, but that is where I think it will end up to get what they want done.
    Are you hearing that there is any interest in these two by the ACC? They are really small schools, less than 5K students, which is smaller than Wake Forest. I look at Navy as being better for the ACC out of conference because they will travel with Notre Dame to markets Notre Dame wants to play in. If they were members of the ACC along with Notre Dame, Notre Dame would have to go to Annapolis to play.

If the ACC does take Navy, it should also take Army to get the Army Navy Game. That single game could generate $20-25 million. I think CBS has the contract for it today. They would get the ACC Network onto the Armed Forces Network, which has a lot of viewers worldwide.

Both currently compete in the Patriot League. It would be a huge jump from there to the ACC.

Answer me this question. Does ND want Navy and Army in the ACC and do they want to come?

PS I see all of the Big 4 going to 20 to keep the politicians at bay and the TV folks getting more eye balls. I am not sure the Big 4 see it that way, but that is where I think it will end up to get what they want done.
    WRT Army and Navy, are you thinking they would be football-only members in the ACC or full members? I do not believe Army has any interest in leaving the Patriot League for other sports. I think Navy has no problem with either option, but will only join as a full member if Army is a part of the deal. Is the ACC content with having 18 full members and 2 football-only members? Are the other 3 conferences happy with that arrangement especially if they have 20 full members? Now where things could get interesting is the role the DoD could play in all this; especially when factoring in Air Force. At minimum the DoD will want all 3 to play in the same subdivision/division. In the past the DoD has assumed the position that the 3 service academies will participate in the highest division of college football because of the exposure it gives the military. Given the current economic situation in the Government, it will be interesting to see if the DoD still assumes that position or is willing to let the 3 service academies play in a lower subdivision/division. If the new subdivision/division does not allow schools to be an Independent, then I believe they would be forced to invite the MWC (assuming Air Force is not a member of the PAC-20 or Big 20). If Air Force is invited to the party, then that would force Army and Navy to be invited to the party too. If the ACC wants 20 full members and the DoD wants all 3 service academies together, then that could force Army's hand to accept full membership even though it isn't happy about it for competitive reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    Are you hearing that there is any interest in these two by the ACC? They are really small schools, less than 5K students, which is smaller than Wake Forest. I look at Navy as being better for the ACC out of conference because they will travel with Notre Dame to markets Notre Dame wants to play in. If they were members of the ACC along with Notre Dame, Notre Dame would have to go to Annapolis to play.

If the ACC does take Navy, it should also take Army to get the Army Navy Game. That single game could generate $20-25 million. I think CBS has the contract for it today. They would get the ACC Network onto the Armed Forces Network, which has a lot of viewers worldwide.

Both currently compete in the Patriot League. It would be a huge jump from there to the ACC.
    I am not sure I would assume that Notre Dame will play any games in Annapolis. Navy has publicly stated that it has no problem playing its "home" game against Notre Dame in a neutral stadium. It gives the academy great exposure that it normally would not obtain by playing the game in Annapolis. If the ACC decides to add Navy as either a football-only or full member, then I believe 1 of the conditions will be to allow Navy the freedom to continue this established relationship as long as it wants.

Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    I am not sure I would assume that Notre Dame will play any games in Annapolis. Navy has publicly stated that it has no problem playing its "home" game against Notre Dame in a neutral stadium. It gives the academy great exposure that it normally would not obtain by playing the game in Annapolis. If the ACC decides to add Navy as either a football-only or full member, then I believe 1 of the conditions will be to allow Navy the freedom to continue this established relationship as long as it wants.
    I know this. That's why it makes more sense to have Navy outside the ACC playing Notre Dame at Neutral Stadiums anywhere Notre Dame wants to play them. The ACC put a stop to neutral site conference games other than the Championship Game in the 90s. Maryland played a Maryland home game against FSU in Miami, and Wake Forest played a Wake Forest home game against FSU in the Citrus Bowl in Orlando. That was distinctly an unfair advantage for FSU over anyone else trying to compete for the ACC Championship even though FSU was going to win those games anyway. Maryland and Wake Forest were terrible in the 90s. You can imagine who had the home crowd in Orlando and Miami between FSU and these two.

So if Navy joins the ACC along with Notre Dame, the Navy home games against Notre Dame would be in Annapolis in order to maintain fairness. Having seen the outrage from schools like Clemson, Georgia Tech, Virginia, etc. when this went on before, I don't think that the ACC would relax this rule even for Notre Dame.

In Notre Dame's current arrangement, they are playing Syracuse in Giants Stadium and Louisville is playing in one of those Shamrock Series things. That's OK because Notre Dame isn't competing for the division and getting away with a road game that isn't a hostile crowd.

I know this. That's why it makes more sense to have Navy outside the ACC playing Notre Dame at Neutral Stadiums anywhere Notre Dame wants to play them. The ACC put a stop to neutral site conference games other than the Championship Game in the 90s. Maryland played a Maryland home game against FSU in Miami, and Wake Forest played a Wake Forest home game against FSU in the Citrus Bowl in Orlando. That was distinctly an unfair advantage for FSU over anyone else trying to compete for the ACC Championship even though FSU was going to win those games anyway. Maryland and Wake Forest were terrible in the 90s. You can imagine who had the home crowd in Orlando and Miami between FSU and these two.

So if Navy joins the ACC along with Notre Dame, the Navy home games against Notre Dame would be in Annapolis in order to maintain fairness. Having seen the outrage from schools like Clemson, Georgia Tech, Virginia, etc. when this went on before, I don't think that the ACC would relax this rule even for Notre Dame.

In Notre Dame's current arrangement, they are playing Syracuse in Giants Stadium and Louisville is playing in one of those Shamrock Series things. That's OK because Notre Dame isn't competing for the division and getting away with a road game that isn't a hostile crowd.
    You are partially correct that the ACC did put a stop to schools (i.e. Duke X2) selling their home game. However, the ACC did not put an stop to an ACC school deciding to play a home conference game at a neutral site. If that was the case, then the Maryland would not have been allowed to schedule its 2014 conference against VT in M&T Bank Stadium (Baltimore Ravens' stadium) instead of College Park - which was announced prior to Maryland's announcement to leave the conference. In fact, I do not recall any uproar over that announcement by any other ACC schools because it was still showing up as the venue on hokiesports.com until Maryland announced it was cancelling the 2014 (the now would be non-conference game).

If Maryland (and any other ACC school) can get away with it, then why not Navy? The only reason the ACC would consider adding Army and Navy is because both schools offer the conference global exposure. If Navy wants to play its home game against Notre Dame in San Diego, CA, then I do not believe the ACC (Swofford) would prevent it from happening because there is no other school (except maybe Army) that would give the ACC that kind of exposure in the state of California as what it would get from the Navy vs. Notre Dame game.

Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    You are partially correct that the ACC did put a stop to schools (i.e. Duke X2) selling their home game. However, the ACC did not put an stop to an ACC school deciding to play a home conference game at a neutral site. If that was the case, then the Maryland would not have been allowed to schedule its 2014 conference against VT in M&T Bank Stadium (Baltimore Ravens' stadium) instead of College Park - which was announced prior to Maryland's announcement to leave the conference. In fact, I do not recall any uproar over that announcement by any other ACC schools because it was still showing up as the venue on hokiesports.com until Maryland announced it was cancelling the 2014 (the now would be non-conference game).

If Maryland (and any other ACC school) can get away with it, then why not Navy? The only reason the ACC would consider adding Army and Navy is because both schools offer the conference global exposure. If Navy wants to play its home game against Notre Dame in San Diego, CA, then I do not believe the ACC (Swofford) would prevent it from happening because there is no other school (except maybe Army) that would give the ACC that kind of exposure in the state of California as what it would get from the Navy vs. Notre Dame game.
    I didn't realize that Maryland had scheduled that game in Baltimore. I doubt most in the league knew. The complaints would have come after you played it because it's the same Broke School selling home games albeit to a stadium closer to home than in Florida. Most of the league wants each member to play their league home games in their home stadiums. If Maryland was planning to have Byrd Stadium under construction or something then, that's a different story.

Now having said this, Swofford is talking about playing games in Europe. Maybe we'll all be throwing our own rules out the window to play games all over the world. I really don't know what he has in mind with this notion.

I didn't realize that Maryland had scheduled that game in Baltimore. I doubt most in the league knew. The complaints would have come after you played it because it's the same Broke School selling home games albeit to a stadium closer to home than in Florida. Most of the league wants each member to play their league home games in their home stadiums. If Maryland was planning to have Byrd Stadium under construction or something then, that's a different story.

Now having said this, Swofford is talking about playing games in Europe. Maybe we'll all be throwing our own rules out the window to play games all over the world. I really don't know what he has in mind with this notion.
    The announcement was made on July 7, 2011, so it is safe to assume that everyone else in the league knew about it. At the time it was announced, there was no plans for Byrd to go through any rennovation that would require them to move only 1 game to M&T Bank Stadium since there were/are no plans to play its entire 2014 home schedule there.

WRT to games in Europe, it is about trying to gain exposure and additional revenue for the conference. The more exposure the conference gets, then more interest it could have in its network and ultimately drive up the revenue earned from TV contracts. I think Swofford may believe the ACC market may be very limited within the US, so if the ACC network is going to ever take off then it may require overseas (or ex-patriate) help. Since exposure it the primary driving factor for games in Europe, then it is logical to assume that Swofford would be very flexible with scheduling requirements for Army, Navy, and Notre Dame especially if it meant having Notre Dame as a full member of the ACC.