Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NY Times has two articles about ESPN and college sports

First is on how ESPN has a general monopoly on college sports broadcasting,and is able to tell all but the biggest programs what to do and when to do it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/25/sp...tml?ref=sports

The second is about how Louisville has built it's program over the last 10 years, leveraging ESPN to jump conferences up to the ACC.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/26/sp...tml?ref=sports
    BCS level college football is a resource war, not a morality play.

ESPN has been the King Maker in many sports for 3 decades. Their volume dwarfs the others in college football. The ACC just needs to keep winning big games like they did last year and they can move up quickly. (Yes I am counting the Louisville win over Florida)

Quote Originally Posted by PadrosWindup View Post
    First is on how ESPN has a general monopoly on college sports broadcasting,and is able to tell all but the biggest programs what to do and when to do it.

The second is about how Louisville has built it's program over the last 10 years, leveraging ESPN to jump conferences up to the ACC.

THis is where Texas connection with the ACC comes in

With ESPN partnership with texas and the Longhorn Network, they are going to find a way to maximize profits and limit expenses. ESPN has a strategy partnership with the ACC, much is not been reported. ESPN will be part of the projected ACC network, just like the SEC network; however I see the deal is merging the (losing) Longhorn Network with the projected ACC network and getting Texas to join the ACC (with Notre dame).

In the future, ESPN 'owns' an expanded ACC and SEC, while FOX owns the PAC 12, and future Big 10 network and in 2015-16 the expanded big 10.

ESPN will behind the scheme will advocate the desolution of the Big 12. (as well as Fox Some interesting transactions.

Texas to the ACC.
    Kansas and Oklahoma to the Big 10
    Ok State and Kansas State SEC.

(will ACC be convinced to role to 20 and take Texas Tech Baylor TCU and WVU or Pac 10 be encouraged to take the remaining texas schools and BYU by the Big 10

Just my thoughts

I agree with most of what you said, but Oklahoma recruits Texas hard and they can not afford to leave that fertile ground which helps them a great deal by playing Texas every year. They will follow Texas IMHO. They are also a top 100 academic school, so that makes them a natural for the ACC.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    With ESPN partnership with texas and the Longhorn Network, they are going to find a way to maximize profits and limit expenses. ESPN has a strategy partnership with the ACC, much is not been reported. ESPN will be part of the projected ACC network, just like the SEC network; however I see the deal is merging the (losing) Longhorn Network with the projected ACC network and getting Texas to join the ACC (with Notre dame).

In the future, ESPN 'owns' an expanded ACC and SEC, while FOX owns the PAC 12, and future Big 10 network and in 2015-16 the expanded big 10.

ESPN will behind the scheme will advocate the desolution of the Big 12. (as well as Fox Some interesting transactions.

Texas to the ACC.
    Kansas and Oklahoma to the Big 10
    Ok State and Kansas State SEC.

(will ACC be convinced to role to 20 and take Texas Tech Baylor TCU and WVU or Pac 10 be encouraged to take the remaining texas schools and BYU by the Big 10

Just my thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by PadrosWindup View Post

Give credit for UL understanding the importance of football. This was a "basketball" school. What if schools such as UNC and Duke had seen that football was driving the bus? What if Syracuse, Pitt, Uconn et al had this vision back in VT's Big East days? Who knows what could have been if the "basketball' schools "got it"?
    "We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by IB4TECH View Post
    Give credit for UL understanding the importance of football. This was a "basketball" school. What if schools such as UNC and Duke had seen that football was driving the bus? What if Syracuse, Pitt, Uconn et al had this vision back in VT's Big East days? Who knows what could have been if the "basketball' schools "got it"?
    Mack Brown had the Tar Heels rolling along pretty well in the mid '90s right before he jumped ship for Texas.

Ok stech what about these 5

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    I agree with most of what you said, but Oklahoma recruits Texas hard and they can not afford to leave that fertile ground which helps them a great deal by playing Texas every year. They will follow Texas IMHO. They are also a top 100 academic school, so that makes them a natural for the ACC.

I had OU pegged west but I see your points.

If ACC goes to 18..... Texas OU and Baylor

If ACC goes to 20.......Texas OU Baylor Tulane and OK State(If they do not get SEC offer with KSU). If not OK State I would wonder about the 20th team.

Answer me this question. Does ND want Navy and Army in the ACC and do they want to come?

PS I see all of the Big 4 going to 20 to keep the politicians at bay and the TV folks getting more eye balls. I am not sure the Big 4 see it that way, but that is where I think it will end up to get what they want done.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFantastic! View Post
    I had OU pegged west but I see your points.

If ACC goes to 18..... Texas OU and Baylor

If ACC goes to 20.......Texas OU Baylor Tulane and OK State(If they do not get SEC offer with KSU). If not OK State I would wonder about the 20th team.

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    Answer me this question. Does ND want Navy and Army in the ACC and do they want to come?

PS I see all of the Big 4 going to 20 to keep the politicians at bay and the TV folks getting more eye balls. I am not sure the Big 4 see it that way, but that is where I think it will end up to get what they want done.

Navy maybe. I see ARMY as a NO. They simply do not really compete with NAVY now. I may be wrong. My question for you is how does SEC get to 20 teams? Without VT and a Carolina school I cant see it. ECU? ODU?(oh oh if so). WVU? They need 6 more. Right?

Well if Army doesn't want to come then I think Baylor and Tulane are options. However, there is this weird relationship between Texas and Texas Tech. The question is who does Texas want?

SEC: I see K-State, Okie State etc...they will want new states like all of the other Big Conferences. Think along those lines.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFantastic! View Post
    Navy maybe. I see ARMY as a NO. They simply do not really compete with NAVY now. I may be wrong. My question for you is how does SEC get to 20 teams? Without VT and a Carolina school I cant see it. ECU? ODU?(oh oh if so). WVU? They need 6 more. Right?