Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I'd be ok with a full BXII-ACC merger to get UT & OU. If KU or some other schools other than UT & OU find an invite from one of the other Big 3, then all the better. Move to 10 or 11 conference games and cut the crap. If word is out that we're taking the whole conference, some conferences might come in and take, say a TT (Pac12) or an OkSt (SEC). But the way it is now, they aren't getting sole invites to those conferences.

ACC and BXII need to recognize that they are now second tier to the others. They are the hunted if you will. If they merge, it might even bring in ND. But even if it doesn't, no biggie. Everyone would be more secure and then we can worry about on the field stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    I'd love to have have five southwestern schools in a group (or pod, if you're into that). Put Notre Dame in a northeast pod and let them play as many conference games at they like - at least all four pod members though. They can call themselves independent but still be eligible for the ACCCG; I don't care.

Let's get this done. Pay Texas more if you have to. Pay Oklahoma more too - take OSU if they demand it. They're worth it. Pride and academic snobbery by schools like Duke, UNC, et al. can scuttle this deal, so the ACC needs for Duke to STFU and listen Marsellus Wallace's advice on pride. Texas will want to earn more than Wake because they are worth more. Pay them - they are the rising tide that will lift all ACC boats. We will all be some smilin' m&*^$%%#&s.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFantastic! View Post
    Shouldn't we be thinking 18 or 20? Texas is going to want a division(pod) of their own. I would believe the ACC would also want that. I do not think OU will come to ACC. I think like A and M they will look for their own place. Sorta get away from Texas shadow. Still play em of course.(Oh and besides MONEY is TEXAS really worth it). Yes Money drives this but oh my what a headache the Horns could be potentially. My think is if ACC goes to a number it will be 20. Why? Well like said above the Horns will want their own division.......

THE ACC 20

SW DIVISION......... TEXAS, TULANE(LA MARKET), BAYLOR, BYU(ND AND TEXAS pals) and either (TEX TECH, RICE or Houston).
    NE Division...........ND, PITT, CUSE, BC, and the U of Miami(great ND rival plus NE feel to school)
    SE Division............ FSU, Clemson, State, Wake and the VIlle
    MID ATL div............ VT UNC GT DUKE and UVA

You would have two crossover games.............VT would be THE U and BC
    ND would be TEXAS and GT
    I could go on but crossovers can be how you guys perceive.

Now why would IMHO this work. Well the ACC need's to expand it's territory. The SW division would have a rivalry feel to it and one BIG DOG with a few others with potential. Let's face it the ACC would want TEXAS good IMO. Likewise for NE division where ND being good is what makes league better. Hate to say that but.....Travel would be easier for all in this scenario I do believe. Other logistics may be problem BUT I will let smarter people figure that out.

Oh you ask about Oklahoma? They will go west like they have wanted. They still play Texas and most likely renew the Nebraska rivalry. One in which NEVER EVER should have ended. People the only way we can get great games and renew some rivalries is by the BIGS breaking away and not fearful of scheduling great games.

Ok this would breakup the Big 12. If the above happens. KU and others would either follow OU west or join the BIG. So you ask about good ol WVU? Well good question. I do not see ACC or BIG taking them. Would the SEC? maybe. I do believe the EERS will be ok. Just cannot see how it plays out. Maybe OU takes em out west. A renewal of the show the BEVERLY HILLBILLIES............LOL just a joke any Eer fan reading this post. Truly this matter shows why the DUD of WV trolls his tells. The eers are on a island with a history of fighting. They have a lot to lose. Right now the eers and the frogs are pawns in a TEXAS chess match.

For VT I see our scheduling be so good if this would happen. Yes I agree the ACC would need to inprove. But with potential of a TEXAS, ND, BAYLOR or ever BYU on schedule that is somewhat helpful. Plus playing the likes of PSU A and M and OSU is solid. Sure in future we will get better games OOC. In the division setup our rivalry with UNC I think is getting bigger. I dislike the Heels. I am sure most of ya do. Louisville would be interesting game.

Stech, COBB, HOOS86 anything to add?
    This is all wrong. Here is the solution:

You need to break the Big XII GOR so you've got to get 6 teams on board. Here's how you do it--you offer Texas, Oklahoma, Baylor (politically powerful in Texas), WVU and Kansas (that's 5) and then you offer Kansas State preferred scheduling out of conference so that they can always easily fill their schedule with ACC teams.

With Notre Dame joining that puts the ACC at 20. That allows for 4 pods of 5:

Western subdivision (permanent crossover partner):
    Texas (UNC)
    Oklahoma (NCSU)
    Kansas (Syracuse)
    Baylor (Miami)
    WVU (FSU)

Northeast subdivision:
    Pittsburgh (Virginia Tech)
    Boston College (Clemson)
    Syracuse (Kansas)
    Notre Dame (Georgia Tech)
    Miami (Baylor) - Miami is actually a "northern" cultured team with many alumni in northeast

Mid-Atlantic subdivision:
    Virginia Tech (Pittsburgh)
    Virginia (Louisville)
    NC State (Oklahoma)
    UNC (Texas)
    Duke (Wake Forest)

Southeast subdivision:
    Wake Forest (Duke)
    Georgia Tech (Notre Dame)
    Clemson (Boston College)
    FSU (West Virginia)
    Louisville (UVA)

You play each team in your subdivision, 1 permanent crossover, and 4 rotating games for a total of 9 conference games. You'll play every team once every 4 years. Notre Dame gets to keep its traditional rivalries with Miami, Georgia Tech, Syracuse, Pittsburgh and Boston College and can maintain a balanced national schedule with 4 rotating ACC teams + 3 out of conference games.
    Last edited by Hokie Hi VPI; Mon Aug 26 2013 at 01:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie Hi VPI View Post
    This is all wrong. Here is the solution:

You need to break the Big XII GOR so you've got to get 6 teams on board. Here's how you do it--you offer Texas, Oklahoma, Baylor (politically powerful in Texas), WVU and Kansas (that's 5) and then you offer Kansas State preferred scheduling out of conference so that they can always easily fill their schedule with ACC teams.

With Notre Dame joining that puts the ACC at 20. That allows for 4 pods of 5:

Western subdivision (permanent crossover partner):
    Texas (UNC)
    Oklahoma (NCSU)
    Kansas (Syracuse)
    Baylor (Miami)
    WVU (FSU)

Northeast subdivision:
    Pittsburgh (Virginia Tech)
    Boston College (Clemson)
    Syracuse (Kansas)
    Notre Dame (Georgia Tech)
    Miami (Baylor) - Miami is actually a "northern" cultured team with many alumni in northeast

Mid-Atlantic subdivision:
    Virginia Tech (Pittsburgh)
    Virginia (Louisville)
    NC State (Oklahoma)
    UNC (Texas)
    Duke (Wake Forest)

Southeast subdivision:
    Wake Forest (Duke)
    Georgia Tech (Notre Dame)
    Clemson (Boston College)
    FSU (West Virginia)
    Louisville (UVA)

You play each team in your subdivision, 1 permanent crossover, and 4 rotating games for a total of 9 conference games. You'll play every team once every 4 years. Notre Dame gets to keep its traditional rivalries with Miami, Georgia Tech, Syracuse, Pittsburgh and Boston College and can maintain a balanced national schedule with 4 rotating ACC teams + 3 out of conference games.
    I think we sort of determined the other day that you need at least 8 teams to agree to dissolve the conference and void the grant of rights. If as many as 3 teams remain, they can simply invite more schools and the Big 12 and its grant of rights will remain intact.

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    Due to BXII GOR, enough BXII schools will need to find landing spots all at the same time in order to disband the conference. I doubt the bigtime conferences pick up the pieces so the ACC can walk off with Texas. That's why if you are going to do this, you have to take more BXII schools. I'd be fine taking UT, OU, OkSt, KU, K-state, Iowa State...or some combo like that. You could have 4 pods that might look like this:

UT, OU, OkSt, KU, KSU
    ISU, Syr, Pitt, BC, Louisville
    Miami, GT, Clemson, FSU, Wake
    UVa, VT, UNC, NCSt, Duke

2 pods = 1 division. 9 games. No Crossovers. Rotate pods every year so everyone plays everyone at least every three years.
    You'll need to take 2 more schools. It takes 8 to dissolve the conference.

Banned
    Well, then we're getting close with 6

Key question is, could they get 7 teams to join?

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie Hi VPI View Post
    Well, then we're getting close with 6

Key question is, could they get 7 teams to join?
    Texas is the linchpin holding everything together. If you get Texas to agree to come, they can pull in the other 3 Texas schools and probably Oklahoma too. Oklahoma pulls in Oklahoma state with them. At that point, it would be easy to convince whichever other 2 schools you want out of the leftovers to exit a sinking ship that's on fire.

No, I was the guy saying that the SEC was the safe choice, not optimal.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokiestud View Post
    Weren't you one of those who was raving just a few short months ago about how Swofford was an idiot who'd botched realignment and that VT was going to be marooned in a watered-down ACC that would be little more than The Big East 2.0 once FSU, Clemson and GT left, not to mention how stupid the VT administration was for not begging to be let into the SEC?
    And last time I checked, Texas was not in the ACC. Write down how many bad decisions the ACC has made in the last ten years and then write down the good ones. Impressed? The ACC just lost a founding member, added an academically sub-par member, and cut a special deal just to get Notre Dame. It just seems that we are continually negotiating from a position of weakness, or placating unhappy members (i.e., FSU). Apparently the only pluses we have now are geography and a willingness to bend the rules to stay afloat. So call me when Swofford does something truly impressive - and snatching up Big East sloppy seconds does not count.

I'd take all 10 if need be. Or at least 2 more, then two others such as Tulane, UConn, Ohio, etc to get to 24. If the BXII breaks up, it's essential that the ACC gets Texas and OU or there will be a serious balance of power issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by 133304Hokie View Post
    You'll need to take 2 more schools. It takes 8 to dissolve the conference.

Jump ship to go where? I doubt that most of these schools will get invites from one of the Big Three. If the ACC wants Texas, it will have to take a large amount of straphangers. This is fine by me since they are all pretty decent in football (except Kansas, which is a blueblood in hoops). I'll even take Iowa State and West Virginia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    If Texas and Oklahoma bail...the rest will be jumping ship too. In fact just make that Texas jumping first. Oklahoma pulls many of their best recruits from Texas and they need to stick with them.

I think that Stech is pretty spot on in this comment. It needs to also be noted that the top cable company that serves the Oklahoma City and Tulsa markets (and yes I do work for that company) has picked up the Long Horn Network ONLY for subscribers in Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Louisiana. No LHN for any other part of the country.