Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MrFantastic! View Post
    Shouldn't we be thinking 18 or 20? Texas is going to want a division(pod) of their own. I would believe the ACC would also want that. I do not think OU will come to ACC. I think like A and M they will look for their own place. Sorta get away from Texas shadow. Still play em of course.(Oh and besides MONEY is TEXAS really worth it). Yes Money drives this but oh my what a headache the Horns could be potentially. My think is if ACC goes to a number it will be 20. Why? Well like said above the Horns will want their own division.......

THE ACC 20

SW DIVISION......... TEXAS, TULANE(LA MARKET), BAYLOR, BYU(ND AND TEXAS pals) and either (TEX TECH, RICE or Houston).
    NE Division...........ND, PITT, CUSE, BC, and the U of Miami(great ND rival plus NE feel to school)
    SE Division............ FSU, Clemson, State, Wake and the VIlle
    MID ATL div............ VT UNC GT DUKE and UVA

You would have two crossover games.............VT would be THE U and BC
    ND would be TEXAS and GT
    I could go on but crossovers can be how you guys perceive.

Now why would IMHO this work. Well the ACC need's to expand it's territory. The SW division would have a rivalry feel to it and one BIG DOG with a few others with potential. Let's face it the ACC would want TEXAS good IMO. Likewise for NE division where ND being good is what makes league better. Hate to say that but.....Travel would be easier for all in this scenario I do believe. Other logistics may be problem BUT I will let smarter people figure that out.

Oh you ask about Oklahoma? They will go west like they have wanted. They still play Texas and most likely renew the Nebraska rivalry. One in which NEVER EVER should have ended. People the only way we can get great games and renew some rivalries is by the BIGS breaking away and not fearful of scheduling great games.

Ok this would breakup the Big 12. If the above happens. KU and others would either follow OU west or join the BIG. So you ask about good ol WVU? Well good question. I do not see ACC or BIG taking them. Would the SEC? maybe. I do believe the EERS will be ok. Just cannot see how it plays out. Maybe OU takes em out west. A renewal of the show the BEVERLY HILLBILLIES............LOL just a joke any Eer fan reading this post. Truly this matter shows why the DUD of WV trolls his tells. The eers are on a island with a history of fighting. They have a lot to lose. Right now the eers and the frogs are pawns in a TEXAS chess match.

For VT I see our scheduling be so good if this would happen. Yes I agree the ACC would need to inprove. But with potential of a TEXAS, ND, BAYLOR or ever BYU on schedule that is somewhat helpful. Plus playing the likes of PSU A and M and OSU is solid. Sure in future we will get better games OOC. In the division setup our rivalry with UNC I think is getting bigger. I dislike the Heels. I am sure most of ya do. Louisville would be interesting game.

Stech, COBB, HOOS86 anything to add?
    BYU is too far west. I don't think they would work geographically at all in the ACC. Funny you mention them as we are getting ready to play them next Saturday.

The rest I could see, but I just don't like the idea of more than 2 Texas schools. I would take Texas and 1 other. Baylor is the more politically connected, but Texas Tech and even TCU could be options. I like Tulane because of the additional state and possibility of picking up the Sugar Bowl for the ACC. The Big XII is tied into it now, but if the Big XII falls apart, the ACC could be in position with Texas and other Big XII schools. Tulane also brings the possiblility of another ACC-SEC season ending rivalry with Tulane-LSU. I know Tulane has a lot of work to do to make that matchup competitive. Texas and Texas A&M could resume as another ACC-SEC season ending rivalry game. I see where Louisville and Kentucky have moved their game to the season end starting in 2014.

I'd go with trying to bring in Oklahoma and Oklahoma State along with Texas, Baylor, and Tulane. This of course would leave the East vulnerable to the Big Ten with Connecticut, but the ACC would get a strong presence in the Southwest areas of Texas, Oklahoma, and Louisiana. This would make the ACC Network viable nationally. Idealy I would trade Oklahoma State for Connecticut, but I think Oklahoma and Oklahoma State are an inseparable pair.

Let's just get Texas and Oklahoma in the fold.

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    I would be shocked if Texas and Oklahoma aren't in the same conference. Texas and Oklahoma have a much different relationship than Texas and Texas A&M. I also see BYU in the PAC if they go anywhere, but it would not surprise me to see them not get into one of the Big Conferences.
    I'd love to have have five southwestern schools in a group (or pod, if you're into that). Put Notre Dame in a northeast pod and let them play as many conference games at they like - at least all four pod members though. They can call themselves independent but still be eligible for the ACCCG; I don't care.

Let's get this done. Pay Texas more if you have to. Pay Oklahoma more too - take OSU if they demand it. They're worth it. Pride and academic snobbery by schools like Duke, UNC, et al. can scuttle this deal, so the ACC needs for Duke to STFU and listen Marsellus Wallace's advice on pride. Texas will want to earn more than Wake because they are worth more. Pay them - they are the rising tide that will lift all ACC boats. We will all be some smilin' m&*^$%%#&s.
    Last edited by lawhokie; Sun Aug 25 2013 at 08:09 PM.

Remember now that the ACC has 14+1 all the Carolina votes together only equal 4. State has never been a problem and honestly neither has Wake. Duke and North Carolina now have their Bball schools...so IMHO the hard part is done.

PS The new ACC agreement pays the teams that make it to the big football games more...that's a bigger deal than most have made it out to be for the football powers and powers to be.

Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    I'd love to have have five southwestern schools in a group (or pod, if you're into that). Put Notre Dame in a northeast pod and let them play as many conference games at they like - at least all four pod members though. They can call themselves independent but still be eligible for the ACCCG; I don't care.

Let's get this done. Pay Texas more if you have to. Pay Oklahoma more too - take OSU if they demand it. They're worth it. Pride and academic snobbery by schools like Duke, UNC, et al. can scuttle this deal, so the ACC needs for Duke to STFU and listen Marcellus Wallace's advice on pride. Texas will want to earn more than Wake because they are worth more. Pay them - they are the rising tide that will lift all ACC boats. We will all be some smilin' m&*^$%%#&s.

Quote Originally Posted by Synaesthesia View Post
    I will bet you a zillion dollars that Tokyo University is part of the PAC-12 before BYU is.
    BYU is quite a peach to get left out of the final cut. Very large school, billion dollar endowment, highly rated and connected. Bigger and much more highly rated than Utah. How often does that happen between state and private universities in the same state?

As secular as the P12 is, if I were a P12 AD I'd keep BYU in mind when the scramble to 16, or 20 begins. Who else west of Texas is there?

Remember now that the ACC has 14+1 all the Carolina votes together only equal 4. State has never been a problem and honestly neither has Wake. Duke and North Carolina now have their Bball schools...so IMHO the hard part is done.

PS The new ACC agreement pays the teams that make it to the big football games more...that's a bigger deal than most have made it out to be for the football powers and powers to be.
    I could possibly see Duke and UNC lobby for Kansas if the ACC was adding several schools from the Big XII. When it looked like the Big XII was in trouble in 2011, both Roy Williams and Coach K were trying to support Kansas. It's a basketball thing. I don't think I want Kansas in the ACC. If we go the Texas route, let's stick with the southern end of the Big XII. Let the Big Ten have Kansas.

Fair enough. No objections, so let's get this done. If the B1G scoops the ACC on this Swofford should be fired into nonexistence.

I read the B12 GOR and it depends from the B12 membership agreement; for term/termination presumably. If the B12 membership agreement has a provision to dissolve the conference they'll have to get to work on that for the move - GOR should fall with the membership deal because it incorporates it by reference. I'm not sure how many members have to vote to dissolve - at least 7 I'd guess.

BYU is quite a peach to get left out of the final cut. Very large school, billion dollar endowment, highly rated and connected. Bigger and much more highly rated than Utah. How often does that happen between state and private universities in the same state?

As secular as the P12 is, if I were a P12 AD I'd keep BYU in mind when the scramble to 16, or 20 begins. Who else west of Texas is there?
    If 20 is the "required" number, then each conference is going to be forced to take a couple they might otherwise leave out. And don't forget that Utah now has a vote in what happens there. They would likely be quite aggressive in lobbying the rest of the league.

I said several times I thought Rutgers would go to the B1G 10 and I feel the same way about Kansas. It also would not surprise me to see K-State eventually to the SEC. It's a cultural thing...not north versus south, but more of a what they both like to emphasize.

Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    I could possibly see Duke and UNC lobby for Kansas if the ACC was adding several schools from the Big XII. When it looked like the Big XII was in trouble in 2011, both Roy Williams and Coach K were trying to support Kansas. It's a basketball thing. I don't think I want Kansas in the ACC. If we go the Texas route, let's stick with the southern end of the Big XII. Let the Big Ten have Kansas.

If Texas and Oklahoma bail...the rest will be jumping ship too. In fact just make that Texas jumping first. Oklahoma pulls many of their best recruits from Texas and they need to stick with them.

Fair enough. No objections, so let's get this done. If the B1G scoops the ACC on this Swofford should be fired into nonexistence.

I read the B12 GOR and it depends from the B12 membership agreement; for term/termination presumably. If the B12 membership agreement has a provision to dissolve the conference they'll have to get to work on that for the move - GOR should fall with the membership deal because it incorporates it by reference. I'm not sure how many members have to vote to dissolve - at least 7 I'd guess.

Weren't you one of those who was raving just a few short months ago about how Swofford was an idiot who'd botched realignment and that VT was going to be marooned in a watered-down ACC that would be little more than The Big East 2.0 once FSU, Clemson and GT left, not to mention how stupid the VT administration was for not begging to be let into the SEC?