Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4vt View Post
    NO WAY Tex. and Okl have their student athletes on an island like that. IF they come, it will be with at least 3 or 4 others in their region.
    We're not only talking about fball. Football is no big deal because they would make 4 trips, primarily on Saturdays, a year east. The problem is putting your basketball or softball teams out on an island like that. They would have to be making 10-15 LONG trips/semester. There's a HUGE difference. AND that's pretty expensive to boot. And PS, College Station isn't too incredibly far away from the SEC West schools.
    And as somebody pointed out, these aren't professionals. These are student athletes that would need to attend classes. I couldn't imagine making 10 1000 mile trips per semester, even by private plane. And they would still have to practice and weight train and the likes. Anyhow, NOT GONNA HAPPEN. Okl. and Texas ARE NOT going to be left on an island like that. Though, you're right in that Tallahassee isn't too incredibly far away.

You guys don't mind being the Big Dog in the Mid-West because you pull eye balls, students and alums from the east...don't be so sure that Texas and OU won't like the east coast spot light to themselves. The others will land in a Big Conference too...just not the ACC.

Now if ND doesn't want Navy and Army...then they will not get in, but if they do like many have said, then they will be in the ACC. There are some moving parts and pieces here and what ND wants is a huge one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by goldendomer View Post
    Okay lets look at this closely.
    1. Texas and OU would not want to be on such an island. So that brings Baylor and Tech along for the ride. Plus it will keep Baylor from saying they will sue.
    2. Navy and Army will not do well in the ACC. Imagine GT but with a lot smaller players. They should not join unless we say they're a mandatory add for us to join in full which nothing has changed in any regard to say that is likely.
    3. UConn- no comment.
    4. If you were to add OU,Texas, TT, Baylor and us then the ACC could become the "top-dog". However this all seems terribly unlikely unless ESPN pulls the plug on the LHN.

UT and Oklahoma and any 3 more is fine with me

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    How about ND, Texas, Oklahoma, UConn, Navy and Army? Do you think that will get you eye balls and keep the academically focused first University Presidents happy?

Remember VT's total annual athletic budget is 67 million while the Academic budget is 1.28 Billion. The Academic side still rules the roost...BY FAR!

PS If Navy and Army don't come, look for Tulane and Cincy to take their place.
    I just worry about schools with excessive travel.

Understand I heard 10 years ago on Navy and Army being a part of this, but I still have some doubt about whether want to be a part of it or not with the scholarship stipend now likely.

As far as travel, Navy or Army-(who I have the greatest doubt about) don't come, then I could see another Big 12 school or two coming too. Also, Tulane brings another state and very good academics. That could make the travel thing easier.

Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    I just worry about schools with excessive travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    Understand I heard 10 years ago on Navy and Army being a part of this, but I still have some doubt about whether want to be a part of it or not with the scholarship stipend now likely.

As far as travel, Navy or Army-(who I have the greatest doubt about) don't come, then I could see another Big 12 school or two coming too. Also, Tulane brings another state and very good academics. That could make the travel thing easier.
    Yeah it seems to go against the comments Navy made when it joined the Big East only in football. Then they said they weren't interested in joining a conference in all sports as they wouldn't be able to compete outside of football. Let's also remember their schedule would be come A LOT more difficult (Navy 2013 schedule). Would Navy be willing to spend the kind of money it would need to competitive? If they are like the vast majority of schools that need to fund their sports by more than football revenues, would we, as tax payers, want them to?

Further, while I understand the desire to play the 'big boys', I don't see why this would be a big deal to the academies. Their priorities put them at distinct disadvantages to competing and being killed on the field isn't the best advertising. As completely gov't funded institutions, I'd expect them to be working towards educating our future military leaders, not competing to put players in the league. The only thing that would make sense is that they are doing it completely from an academics perspective. But then again there are some pretty darn good schools outside of the FBS, including 8 of the top ten according to USN&WR