Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Can anyone recall when the ACC Championship Game was good television? If Army/Navy becomes a conference game, they will have to move the game to the week of Thanksgiving in order to complete the season prior to the championship game. Also, I think there is a contract with CBS that will have to be bought out to get that game onto ACC (ESPN) properties.

Agreed. Tell WVU Administration the rules with respect to fan behavoir. Act like normal people and you get your full paycheck. Act up and your revenue will be docked 10% for each offense. Presidential committee to be formed makes the final decision.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4vt View Post
    I think WVU would be considered an affirmative action type move. It's pretty decent of the ACC to invite the flagship school from the poorest state. And WVU brings actual fball fans, a decen fball team, and some ready made rivalries within the ACC. The WVU/Pitt, WVU/Louisville, WVU/VT, and WVU/UVA games would generate quite a bit of interest. I think the Pitt vs. WVU game could elevate BOTH programs and the league as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by hokie4ever View Post
    Agreed. Tell WVU Administration the rules with respect to fan behavoir. Act like normal people and you get your full paycheck. Act up and your revenue will be docked 10% for each offense. Presidential committee to be formed makes the final decision.
    WVU will never go for that, which is an ingenious way of keeping them out. Was that your double secret intention?

I would hope the ACC would pursue these schools only as a last resort.

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    the table for TV for Big Conference? I heard 10 years ago they would be a part of the new upper division and honestly I go back and forth on them at this level, but I would like to know what they would bring from a TV stand point of their regional and national pull on TV/Cable/Digital etc.

PS For others I know they would never win a National Championship in football, but Navy goes to bowls regularly and Army has proven they can make bowls too. I see them being like a GT with the right coach. A sentimental spoiler from time to time that you somewhat hate to play because of their grit on the field.
    Army can't play football or basketball, and Navy is only competitive in football. If football diminishes in importance in the next decade due to injury concerns, will these schools add enough athletic value to the league in other sports? Lacrosse maybe? Soccer? I doubt it.

I could see inviting Navy if Notre Dame came on board full time and agreed to play - at least - an eight game ACC schedule. Army football just isn't that compelling, and even Army soldiers aren't that interested (this is coming from an Army guy from an Army family, in case you're interested).

Expanding to 20 with schools other major conferences didn't want seems like a mistake to me. Plus, I'm not sure what service academies will do for VT's research mission. If Army and Navy help us land some massive TV deal then maybe it's an option, but who is watching Army and Navy? Not me.

Pursuing Army and Navy to make Notre Dame happy sounds like the same foolishness that resulted in the BC invitation back in 2003, when Pitt or Rutgers would have made more sense. The ACC should learn from that mistake and try for 5 B12 state universities if they want to get to 20.

I'm in favor of Army and Navy staying independent. They are national universities and shouldn't be confined by a conference--especially one where they can't compete. They should be playing all over the country for numerous reasons. I feel the same way about Notre Dame to some extent.

I think the DoD, or whoever makes the rules, should work something out to allow them to bring athletes with NFL aspirations.

After reading that, you just convinced me...

Quote Originally Posted by CobbCountyHokie View Post
    I can see where adding Navy and Army may make it more appealing for ND to come aboard full time for football into the ACC. I also agree that there is some romanticism to adding them academically and politically. Unfortunately, from a business perspective on the TV side, I just don't see them moving the needle.

Feel free to now lob any insults my way that you wish.
    Inviting Army and Navy to make Notre Dame happy is exactly the kind of mistake the ACC is likely to make.

Quote Originally Posted by laphroaig View Post
    this why I said if ND goes ACC in football, Navy comes with them and the Army/Navy game as an ACC regular season conference game would be better TV than the ACCCG.
    What about the other 7 ACC games for Army? Army vs Wake couldn't even sell out Wake's tiny stadium last year - pretty much the same attendance as Wake v Duke actually.

I just can't get behind bringing in service academies based on the ACC owning the Army-Navy game. Where is the business case for diluting essentially every sport in the ACC? If an ACC network were contingent on adding Army, maybe it's worth it, but who thinks that is true?

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4vt View Post
    And a couple of more points. The ACC values its hodgepodge makeup for some reason, so service academies would fit right in. They would obviously ensure ND fully joining. GEOGRAPHY matters, it would strengthen the ACC in the already HUGE footprint. I think they could actually develop some rivalries within the conference. Their weaknesses, bball and other sports, are areas in which the ACC will already be dominant. We may value some easy conference bball wins. And I think their actually joining a conference would generate some more alumni/fan interest.

So here's my 20 team ACC

ACC N:
    ND, Cuse, Army, BC, Navy(they just HAVE to be in this pod)

ACC MA:
    UofL, Uconn, Pitt, Temple, WVU

ACC CV:
    VT, UVA, NC St., Duke, UNC

ACC S:
    FSu, Miami, GT, Clemson, Wake

These are obviously currently uneven from a competitive perspective, but I think programs like Cuse and BC could prosper in such a league. The money would be there and the ACC would NEVER be considered second tier w/ these national brands.
    LOL. You slipped West Virginia in there when no one was looking. LOL.

Actually that lineup would certainly solidify the ACC as truly the "Atlantic Coast" conference. I think in order to get this through, we'd have to add someone else from the South to appease the ACC schools in the South like Clemson and FSU. So here goes:

ACC North: UConn, Syracuse, Boston College, Army, Miami

ACC MA: Louisville, Pittsburgh, Temple, Navy, Notre Dame

ACC CV: Virginia, Virginia Tech, North Carolina, Duke, NC State

ACC South: Wake Forest, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Florida State, South Florida

Miami wanted BC and Syracuse when they joined. Put Miami with them.

Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    ACC North: UConn, Syracuse, Boston College, Army, Miami

ACC MA: Louisville, Pittsburgh, Temple, Navy, Notre Dame

ACC CV: Virginia, Virginia Tech, North Carolina, Duke, NC State

ACC South: Wake Forest, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Florida State, South Florida
    That conference setup stinks. Better off just going to 16, than adding all that dead weight. The day Temple and USF join the ACC is the day VT and UVA should leave the conference for greener pastures. We might as well just add Tulane and Rice if that what we're getting down to (Better schools in an expanded southern footprint).

Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    Army can't play football or basketball, and Navy is only competitive in football. If football diminishes in importance in the next decade due to injury concerns, will these schools add enough athletic value to the league in other sports? Lacrosse maybe? Soccer? I doubt it.

I could see inviting Navy if Notre Dame came on board full time and agreed to play - at least - an eight game ACC schedule. Army football just isn't that compelling, and even Army soldiers aren't that interested (this is coming from an Army guy from an Army family, in case you're interested).

Expanding to 20 with schools other major conferences didn't want seems like a mistake to me. Plus, I'm not sure what service academies will do for VT's research mission. If Army and Navy help us land some massive TV deal then maybe it's an option, but who is watching Army and Navy? Not me.

Pursuing Army and Navy to make Notre Dame happy sounds like the same foolishness that resulted in the BC invitation back in 2003, when Pitt or Rutgers would have made more sense. The ACC should learn from that mistake and try for 5 B12 state universities if they want to get to 20.
    Pretty much agree. Would there ever be a situation in which the 4 power conferences agree to go to 20 each? If that is ever the case, I think they are options for the ACC. I think the Big12 schools would much more naturally end up in the SEC and Big10. And the Pac12 has many options out west that I think are OK for them too. Anyhow, if they all sit down and work together, which would obviously have to be the case when leaving the NCAA or creating a new division, the academies would probably be included. And the ACC watering down its bball wouldn't be too horrendous. I wonder sometimes that if the SEC simply went and got Oklahoma and Texas, who would lose games there? Somebody has to lose and it may end up being some existing SEC members like LSU or Tennessee. They may be better off inviting some merely decent fball programs like UNC, Baylor, or NC ST. They could easily justify inviting Duke as well.