Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by goldendomer View Post
    Stole this from wikipedia because I was too lazy to do my self. This explains why Navy will NEVER come off the schedule unless they say they want it to end.

Texas is a newer relationship that has formed(Along with OU also)that is interesting one that has grown strong over the years.
    this why I said if ND goes ACC in football, Navy comes with them and the Army/Navy game as an ACC regular season conference game would be better TV than the ACCCG.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    USMA's Michie Stadium is considered one of the best places to watch a football game on a crisp autumn afternoon. It's only has 38,000 seats but still bigger than Wake Forest and about the same size as Duke's after their renovation/expansion.

Interesting that you mention Wake & Duke. I would rather have Army & Navy in conference than Wake & Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    Ask Goldendomer, there is a special bond between ND with Navy, Texas and to a lesser degree with Army. ND will not mind being in a conference if they can maintain their national schedule. So put them in a division with 4 other teams and they can have their cake and eat it too. Win that division and advance while still playing a national schedule.

PS The Super conferences are already proving that you can make more being a part of them than being on your own. Add that to the fact that you will have to be in one to get the Football National Championship and it is not that hard to see ND being better off in one than not being in one.
    I think w/ my setup, they could play a 9 game conference schedule and then play USC every yr and mix in Stanford, Michigan, Purdue, etc... w/ the other two games. They would play Navy and BC Every yr within the league and then be able to play powers such as Miami, FSU, Pitt, GT, UNC, etc... These are teams that they have already been playing fairly regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by goldendomer View Post
    Stole this from wikipedia because I was too lazy to do my self. This explains why Navy will NEVER come off the schedule unless they say they want it to end.

Texas is a newer relationship that has formed(Along with OU also)that is interesting one that has grown strong over the years.
    I just don't see the Texas/Oklahoma relationship as being too big a deal. Perhaps it's the movement of folks to the region and there's certainly many Catholics. However, those aren't the type of Catholics that are likely to be ND fans. Maybe they are attempting to make immigrant Catholics ND fans. That's the only reason I'm sensing a relationship with Texas. I could see them playing a 9 game ACC schedule if it included Navy and BC every year along w/ matchups w/ schools they play regularly such as Pitt, Cuse, FSU, Miami, etc... That would give them USC each yr OOC and they could rotate in Texas, Oklahoma, Stanford, Purdue, Michigan as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by laphroaig View Post
    I agree with most of this - let's make it 19 and leave WVU out or find somebody else.
    The Army/Navy game would be an ACC conference game - that would be great for the conference.
    I think WVU would be considered an affirmative action type move. It's pretty decent of the ACC to invite the flagship school from the poorest state. And WVU brings actual fball fans, a decen fball team, and some ready made rivalries within the ACC. The WVU/Pitt, WVU/Louisville, WVU/VT, and WVU/UVA games would generate quite a bit of interest. I think the Pitt vs. WVU game could elevate BOTH programs and the league as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4vt View Post
    I think WVU would be considered an affirmative action type move. It's pretty decent of the ACC to invite the flagship school from the poorest state. And WVU brings actual fball fans, a decen fball team, and some ready made rivalries within the ACC. The WVU/Pitt, WVU/Louisville, WVU/VT, and WVU/UVA games would generate quite a bit of interest. I think the Pitt vs. WVU game could elevate BOTH programs and the league as a whole.
    Now you're playing dirty - bringing logic and facts into a discussion about WVU is unacceptable.

With Virginia Tech's Corps of Cadets, the Navy or Army game would be special too. Many of us still wish if we are going to play a state FCS school from time to time it would be VMI. I know they don't want to play us, but for traditions sake it would be fun getting the alumni together again simply at the tailgate.

PS I think with the right schedule they would bring eye balls and I think they would get good coaches too...which is the key to their success. (i.e. George Welsh and Paul Johnson)

Quote Originally Posted by laphroaig View Post
    this why I said if ND goes ACC in football, Navy comes with them and the Army/Navy game as an ACC regular season conference game would be better TV than the ACCCG.

Saw Army play Air Force on a late fall day. One of the non-VT highlights of my life. I also saw FSU play Florida in the swamp in 99 half way up on the 50 with winner going to play VT. I would call the two experiences a tie, with maybe a slight lean to the Army versus Air Force because of the pre-game atmosphere. If you ever get to see the Parades go by...it sends chills. At that time Air Force flew the whole senior class out to the game.

PS I would love to have them!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    USMA's Michie Stadium is considered one of the best places to watch a football game on a crisp autumn afternoon. It's only has 38,000 seats but still bigger than Wake Forest and about the same size as Duke's after their renovation/expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    With Virginia Tech's Corps of Cadets, the Navy or Army game would be special too. Many of us still wish if we are going to play a state FCS school from time to time it would be VMI. I know they don't want to play us, but for traditions sake it would be fun getting the alumni together again simply at the tailgate.

PS I think with the right schedule they would bring eye balls and I think they would get good coaches too...which is the key to their success. (i.e. George Welsh and Paul Johnson)
    Yeah, VMI would be great for the tradition. But Victory Stadium is gone.

I can see where adding Navy and Army may make it more appealing for ND to come aboard full time for football into the ACC. I also agree that there is some romanticism to adding them academically and politically. Unfortunately, from a business perspective on the TV side, I just don't see them moving the needle.

Feel free to now lob any insults my way that you wish.