Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

CobbCounty, I would like to know your thoughts on what Navy and Army would bring to

the table for TV for Big Conference? I heard 10 years ago they would be a part of the new upper division and honestly I go back and forth on them at this level, but I would like to know what they would bring from a TV stand point of their regional and national pull on TV/Cable/Digital etc.

PS For others I know they would never win a National Championship in football, but Navy goes to bowls regularly and Army has proven they can make bowls too. I see them being like a GT with the right coach. A sentimental spoiler from time to time that you somewhat hate to play because of their grit on the field.

Academic integrity, patriotism, and honor.

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    the table for TV for Big Conference? I heard 10 years ago they would be a part of the new upper division and honestly I go back and forth on them at this level, but I would like to know what they would bring from a TV stand point of their regional and national pull on TV/Cable/Digital etc.

PS For others I know they would never win a National Championship in football, but Navy goes to bowls regularly and Army has proven they can make bowls too. I see them being like a GT with the right coach. A sentimental spoiler from time to time that you somewhat hate to play because of their grit on the field.
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

This is a tough one. From an academics viewpoint, there can be no better than Army and Navy. From a position of leadership and integrity, you cannot do any better.

However, in the multi-million dollar world of television rights fees and competing sports networks, Army and Navy really add nothing to the equation. I know that it can be argued that Annapolis and West Point provide a national presence and the Army/Navy game is a wonderful annual event. I can also argue that if Army and Navy were substantial national draws, then they would play on national television every week. We all know that does not happen. Navy is on TV twice per year (Army and Notre Dame)and Army is on national TV one time per year.

Unless they become players competitively on the national stage, then I doubt that Army and Navy would have much national pull besides the Army/Navy game and I believe they will have even less pull regionally. Does anyone think that Navy can deliver the Baltimore-Washington market? Would Army bring the New York market? I don't either.

I commend everything that the service academies stand for but I have to be realistic when I say that they really have little to offer from a regional or national network play.

I am curious as to what you are hearing. I need to find a way to give you my email without exposing it to the whole TSL world. Maybe Will or Chris can help?

I actually like them as options to sure up our position in the current footprint. And I REALLY think they would help with negotiating w/ Dish and Direct TV. I like the ACC adding them.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4vt View Post
    I actually like them as options to sure up our position in the current footprint. And I REALLY think they would help with negotiating w/ Dish and Direct TV. I like the ACC adding them.
    And a couple of more points. The ACC values its hodgepodge makeup for some reason, so service academies would fit right in. They would obviously ensure ND fully joining. GEOGRAPHY matters, it would strengthen the ACC in the already HUGE footprint. I think they could actually develop some rivalries within the conference. Their weaknesses, bball and other sports, are areas in which the ACC will already be dominant. We may value some easy conference bball wins. And I think their actually joining a conference would generate some more alumni/fan interest.

So here's my 20 team ACC

ACC N:
    ND, Cuse, Army, BC, Navy(they just HAVE to be in this pod)

ACC MA:
    UofL, Uconn, Pitt, Temple, WVU

ACC CV:
    VT, UVA, NC St., Duke, UNC

ACC S:
    FSu, Miami, GT, Clemson, Wake

These are obviously currently uneven from a competitive perspective, but I think programs like Cuse and BC could prosper in such a league. The money would be there and the ACC would NEVER be considered second tier w/ these national brands.
    Last edited by chuckd4vt; Wed Aug 21 2013 at 06:12 PM.

And a couple of more points. The ACC values its hodgepodge makeup for some reason, so service academies would fit right in. They would obviously ensure ND fully joining. GEOGRAPHY matters, it would strengthen the ACC in the already HUGE footprint. I think they could actually develop some rivalries within the conference. Their weaknesses, bball and other sports, are areas in which the ACC will already be dominant. We may value some easy conference bball wins. And I think their actually joining a conference would generate some more alumni/fan interest.

So here's my 20 team ACC

ACC N:

ACC MA:

ACC CV:

ACC S:

These are obviously currently uneven from a competitive perspective, but I think programs like Cuse and BC could prosper in such a league. The money would be there and the ACC would NEVER be considered second tier w/ these national brands.
    I agree with most of this - let's make it 19 and leave WVU out or find somebody else.
    The Army/Navy game would be an ACC conference game - that would be great for the conference.

Ask Goldendomer, there is a special bond between ND with Navy, Texas and to a lesser degree with Army. ND will not mind being in a conference if they can maintain their national schedule. So put them in a division with 4 other teams and they can have their cake and eat it too. Win that division and advance while still playing a national schedule.

PS The Super conferences are already proving that you can make more being a part of them than being on your own. Add that to the fact that you will have to be in one to get the Football National Championship and it is not that hard to see ND being better off in one than not being in one.

So here's my 20 team ACC

ACC N:

ACC MA:

ACC CV:

ACC S:

Ask Goldendomer, there is a special bond between ND with Navy, Texas and to a lesser degree with Army. ND will not mind being in a conference if they can maintain their national schedule. So put them in a division with 4 other teams and they can have their cake and eat it too. Win that division and advance while still playing a national schedule.

PS The Super conferences are already proving that you can make more being a part of them than being on your own. Add that to the fact that you will have to be in one to get the Football National Championship and it is not that hard to see ND being better off in one than not being in one.
    Stole this from wikipedia because I was too lazy to do my self. This explains why Navy will NEVER come off the schedule unless they say they want it to end.

Texas is a newer relationship that has formed(Along with OU also)that is interesting one that has grown strong over the years.
    Despite the one-sided result the last few decades, most Notre Dame and Navy fans consider the series a sacred tradition for historical reasons. Both schools have strong football traditions going back to the beginnings of the sport. Notre Dame, like many colleges, faced severe financial difficulties during World War II. The US Navy made Notre Dame a training center and paid enough for usage of the facilities to keep the University afloat. Notre Dame has since extended an open invitation for Navy to play the Fighting Irish in football and considers the game annual repayment on a debt of honor. The series is marked by mutual respect, as evidenced by each team standing at attention during the playing of the other's alma mater after the game, a tradition that started in 2005. Navy's athletic director, on renewing the series through 2016, remarked "...it is of great interest to our collective national audience of Fighting Irish fans, Naval Academy alumni, and the Navy family at large."[7] The series is scheduled to continue indefinitely; renewals are a mere formality

USMA's Michie Stadium is considered one of the best places to watch a football game on a crisp autumn afternoon. It's only has 38,000 seats but still bigger than Wake Forest and about the same size as Duke's after their renovation/expansion.