Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Another roadblock for texas to b1g...

Quote Originally Posted by 33laszlo99 View Post
    Pure conjecture on my part.
    The secret is "reassignment of media rights." Just as ESPN was able to reassign ACC media rights, and Raycom further reassigned them, then to Fox and to YES... None of these downstream tansactions disturbed the original ESPN & ACC deal. We know that ACC gets $260 Million, or so, per year regardless of how ESPN disposes of the content. We know that Raycom pays $50 million per year for their games but we don't know what Fox paid Raycom, or what YES or MSG paid. It doesn't matter because the ESPN/ACC deal isn't affected by the subsequent deals.

The Big XII tier 1 & 2 rights are divided between ESPN/ABC and Fox, no other players. The Texas Tier 3 rights have been assigned to ESPN as content for LHN. ESPN is taking a bath on the LHN. Texas is cashing a $15 million dollar ESPN check every year and the LHN continues to flop.

Texas could persuade ESPN to return their Tier 3 rights and fold the LHN tent. Absent any prohibitions in the GOR about rights-holders reassigning the content to others, they could also ask that ESPN/ABC reassign their Tier 1 & 2 rights (Texas home games, only) to Fox (at a markup). This would not change the ownership of the original content. The basic rights would still lie with the Big XII, but Texas could go to the B1G with their Tier 3, knowing that their Tier 1 & 2 have been reassigned to Fox (all in the family with the BTN). Questions about rebroadcast might be a snag. Are those rights committed to the Big XII as part of the GOR? Would Texas leave them behind? Would BTN insist on having them?

Would ESPN want to dump LHN badly enough to lose Texas? Maybe. How badly do they need to cut those losses? Could resale to Fox of the Texas Tier 1 & 2 be made sweet enough? Maybe, maybe not. But that is at least one convoluted scenario toward a Big XII exit for Texas.
    I just read that IMG is the owner of Texas' Tier 3 content and the agent between Texas and ESPN. They would have to agree to shut-down the LHN and would expect compensation. Texas would have to want this move very badly.

It was this was 6 months ago we would be gone. The Dude is dumb. Stop following him on twitter and save your eyes.

No one in the ACC is going anywhere including ND

If anything, UT to B1G would kill WVU, so it wouldn't be something he'd want to report or promote if he's just being a BXII homer. So I don't completely discount what he's saying like some do.
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4vt View Post
    He also predicted Missouri and A&M to the SEC, Maryland and Rutgers to the B1G, and VT to the SEC. All of those came to pass or had plenty of potential to be true. Here's the deal, Dude is operating from a Big12 perspective and he is reporting what I believe the WVU people are hearing. Though, I admit Dude has probably jumped the shark and started making up much of what he's blogging about. Anyhow, Dude has generally been right in that there were honest to goodness discussions about all of the scenarios you just mentioned. I feel, ESPN saved the day and prevented EVERY SINGLE ONE of your "jokes" from becoming reality. Had ESPN decided to not offer the ACC comparable money, and they weren't exactly contractually obligated to do so, FSU and Clemson would be gone and UVA and others would be in the B1G. Dude was right! The Big12 lost this battle with the ACC for sure, but only because ESPN made it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by SWEETPEA 05 View Post
    It was this was 6 months ago we would be gone. The Dude is dumb. Stop following him on twitter and save your eyes.

No one in the ACC is going anywhere including ND
    Good

Your insight into "Reassignment of Media Rights" adds quite a wrinkle doesn't it?

So now you have all the member institutions, the conference entity, and all the network entities affected by the telecast agreement(s).

The sales of rights to other networks only help to cement the GoR. Now the light bulb turns on. What a mess, or what a blessing ... depending on whether you wish to leave, or wish to stay.

Your conjecture sounds sane to me.

Wondering now, how much ESPN, IMG, and Texas are losing on LHN?

Quote Originally Posted by 33laszlo99 View Post
    I just read that IMG is the owner of Texas' Tier 3 content and the agent between Texas and ESPN. They would have to agree to shut-down the LHN and would expect compensation. Texas would have to want this move very badly.

Agree, the transfer of rights to other networks is the wrinkle.

Agree, the transfer of rights to other networks is the wrinkle. That makes all of this anything but simple. That would point to July 1, 2025 as the date that the Big 12 would morph "potentially" into something else.

I can't help but ponder that some workaround deals are being discussed though, with all of the rumors out there. I believe that if Texas goes somewhere else before 2025, that they must have one heck of a workaround!

Quote Originally Posted by 133304Hokie View Post
    First, getting everyone in the conference to agree to do away with the GoR is hardly "simple".

Secondly, it's possible that TV networks now own those rights. If the new TV contracts the Big 12 signed with the TV networks say that Big 12 schools transferred their home football broadcast rights to the conference and then the conference turned around and transferred those TV rights to the networks, then the TV networks would also have to agree to undo the GoR.

I don't think any Ivy League school would want to go FBS.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamburger View Post
    I rather they go after Penn if they want a school in the Philly area.

Quote Originally Posted by FrederickHokie View Post
    Agree, the transfer of rights to other networks is the wrinkle. That makes all of this anything but simple. That would point to July 1, 2025 as the date that the Big 12 would morph "potentially" into something else.

I can't help but ponder that some workaround deals are being discussed though, with all of the rumors out there. I believe that if Texas goes somewhere else before 2025, that they must have one heck of a workaround!
    i think the workaround is for 5 of the 10 teams in the Big12 to all find suitable landing spots. IIRC, dropping to less than 6 schools would disband the league and the GoR the league owns.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

Very interesting.

The Texas rumor mill will be interesting to watch for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    i think the workaround is for 5 of the 10 teams in the Big12 to all find suitable landing spots. IIRC, dropping to less than 6 schools would disband the league and the GoR the league owns.

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    If they add Buffalo, it shows you what a fraud the whole BTN and cable-satellite matrix is. I can't imagine many people in NY state give a rip about UB (man, I even forgot what their nickname is). But even non-football fans in the Empire State will be forced to pay up. Meanwhile B1G lovers elsewhere have to accept a watered down product. Taking University of Toronto would have more credibility.

The rumor mill right now is unbelievable. On one end of the B1G expansion target spectrum is Texas...and now Buffalo on the other? I can't keep up!
    If the Big Ten did add UB, then the Bulls would have to do some serious upgrade to their athletic facilities especially since their football stadium only holds 30,000. University of Toronto would be an interesting addition to the conference. Since their football team currently plays Canadian rules football (shocker there), then I would assume they would make the switch to American football. I guess it is possible that they could field a Canadian football team and American football team, but I am not sure what impact that would have on Title IX (if any). If the Blues did join the Big Ten, the Varsity Centre would have to be converted to fit the dimensions of an American football field. I am not sure what impact the conversion would have on the outdoor track that surrounds the field or the arena that exists on the field during the winter (see link).

http://physical.utoronto.ca/Faciliti...ty_Centre.aspx