Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

WRT Temple, we already have a PA team. I think losing MD hurts us more than adding a Philly team would help.

Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    Today the Dude is saying that The Big Ten Conference is considering State University of New York at Buffalo. They do not really have an athletic tradition, but they are a large public state research university that is an AAU member. They are also the only school that plays FBS football in the State of New York other than Syracuse.

Now if something like this happens, then we'll know that the Big Ten is thinking more like a TV network than an athletic conference. This would only be to get the BTN into the state of New York's cable subscribers.

I would go back to saying that the ACC would need Temple for the same reason in the Mid-Atlantic regarding an ACC network.

Quote Originally Posted by FrederickHokie View Post
    Seems simple to me, get all member schools to agree to an amendment of the Big12 GoR, then you can change it. Else things look to be on the hook until the GoR expires.

Assuming the Big12 GoR looks like all the other GoRs. Then you just get all the schools covered by related GoRs to agree to change the landscape, and the landscape gets changed.

Or have I missed something?
    First, getting everyone in the conference to agree to do away with the GoR is hardly "simple".

Secondly, it's possible that TV networks now own those rights. If the new TV contracts the Big 12 signed with the TV networks say that Big 12 schools transferred their home football broadcast rights to the conference and then the conference turned around and transferred those TV rights to the networks, then the TV networks would also have to agree to undo the GoR.

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    The Dude: Clemson & FSU to the Big 12, UNC & UVa to the B1G and now Texas and Oklahoma to the B1G. What next?

PS I know I missed UVa and VT to the B1G too, but I think you get the point.
    He also predicted Missouri and A&M to the SEC, Maryland and Rutgers to the B1G, and VT to the SEC. All of those came to pass or had plenty of potential to be true. Here's the deal, Dude is operating from a Big12 perspective and he is reporting what I believe the WVU people are hearing. Though, I admit Dude has probably jumped the shark and started making up much of what he's blogging about. Anyhow, Dude has generally been right in that there were honest to goodness discussions about all of the scenarios you just mentioned. I feel, ESPN saved the day and prevented EVERY SINGLE ONE of your "jokes" from becoming reality. Had ESPN decided to not offer the ACC comparable money, and they weren't exactly contractually obligated to do so, FSU and Clemson would be gone and UVA and others would be in the B1G. Dude was right! The Big12 lost this battle with the ACC for sure, but only because ESPN made it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Tango View Post
    Had ESPN not decided to step up, DuDe would be considered a prophet right now. MOST of what he's predicted either happened or nearly happened. FSU was REALLY trying to find a way out of the ACC. Does anybody seriously doubt that? And we now know that the B1G was REALLY trying to gain additional ACC teams. Does anybody seriously doubt that?

Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    Today the Dude is saying that The Big Ten Conference is considering State University of New York at Buffalo. They do not really have an athletic tradition, but they are a large public state research university that is an AAU member. They are also the only school that plays FBS football in the State of New York other than Syracuse.

Now if something like this happens, then we'll know that the Big Ten is thinking more like a TV network than an athletic conference. This would only be to get the BTN into the state of New York's cable subscribers.

I would go back to saying that the ACC would need Temple for the same reason in the Mid-Atlantic regarding an ACC network.
    Honestly, that makes as much sense as the ACC going after Temple. I think the ACC COULD do something like take Delaware and require them to go FBS. If they were a part of an 80 school break away division, they would have plenty of money and encouragement to become a player. What about Villanove or Georgetown considering how much the ACC is obsessed w/ private schools and bball?

How texas can beat the gor and join the b1g:

Quote Originally Posted by FrederickHokie View Post
    Seems simple to me, get all member schools to agree to an amendment of the Big12 GoR, then you can change it. Else things look to be on the hook until the GoR expires.

Assuming the Big12 GoR looks like all the other GoRs. Then you just get all the schools covered by related GoRs to agree to change the landscape, and the landscape gets changed.

Or have I missed something?
    Pure conjecture on my part.
    The secret is "reassignment of media rights." Just as ESPN was able to reassign ACC media rights, and Raycom further reassigned them, then to Fox and to YES... None of these downstream tansactions disturbed the original ESPN & ACC deal. We know that ACC gets $260 Million, or so, per year regardless of how ESPN disposes of the content. We know that Raycom pays $50 million per year for their games but we don't know what Fox paid Raycom, or what YES or MSG paid. It doesn't matter because the ESPN/ACC deal isn't affected by the subsequent deals.

The Big XII tier 1 & 2 rights are divided between ESPN/ABC and Fox, no other players. The Texas Tier 3 rights have been assigned to ESPN as content for LHN. ESPN is taking a bath on the LHN. Texas is cashing a $15 million dollar ESPN check every year and the LHN continues to flop.

Texas could persuade ESPN to return their Tier 3 rights and fold the LHN tent. Absent any prohibitions in the GOR about rights-holders reassigning the content to others, they could also ask that ESPN/ABC reassign their Tier 1 & 2 rights (Texas home games, only) to Fox (at a markup). This would not change the ownership of the original content. The basic rights would still lie with the Big XII, but Texas could go to the B1G with their Tier 3, knowing that their Tier 1 & 2 have been reassigned to Fox (all in the family with the BTN). Questions about rebroadcast might be a snag. Are those rights committed to the Big XII as part of the GOR? Would Texas leave them behind? Would BTN insist on having them?

Would ESPN want to dump LHN badly enough to lose Texas? Maybe. How badly do they need to cut those losses? Could resale to Fox of the Texas Tier 1 & 2 be made sweet enough? Maybe, maybe not. But that is at least one convoluted scenario toward a Big XII exit for Texas.

The dude....lol.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4vt View Post
    He also predicted Missouri and A&M to the SEC, Maryland and Rutgers to the B1G, and VT to the SEC. All of those came to pass or had plenty of potential to be true. Here's the deal, Dude is operating from a Big12 perspective and he is reporting what I believe the WVU people are hearing. Though, I admit Dude has probably jumped the shark and started making up much of what he's blogging about. Anyhow, Dude has generally been right in that there were honest to goodness discussions about all of the scenarios you just mentioned. I feel, ESPN saved the day and prevented EVERY SINGLE ONE of your "jokes" from becoming reality. Had ESPN decided to not offer the ACC comparable money, and they weren't exactly contractually obligated to do so, FSU and Clemson would be gone and UVA and others would be in the B1G. Dude was right! The Big12 lost this battle with the ACC for sure, but only because ESPN made it happen.

Has a bigger NOSE then Pinnochio......The ACC was never really in big trouble. FSU probably indeed used BIG 12 for some leverage. So ACC would take care of football matters. FSU did not want that travel to BIG 12 places like MOTOWN or AMES. Now SEC might have been different. The DUDE is making up have stuff and hoping!

Had ESPN not decided to step up, DuDe would be considered a prophet right now. MOST of what he's predicted either happened or nearly happened. FSU was REALLY trying to find a way out of the ACC. Does anybody seriously doubt that? And we now know that the B1G was REALLY trying to gain additional ACC teams. Does anybody seriously doubt that?
    FSU was using the BIG 12 as leverage. That I don't doubt.

Honestly, that makes as much sense as the ACC going after Temple. I think the ACC COULD do something like take Delaware and require them to go FBS. If they were a part of an 80 school break away division, they would have plenty of money and encouragement to become a player. What about Villanove or Georgetown considering how much the ACC is obsessed w/ private schools and bball?
    I rather they go after Penn if they want a school in the Philly area.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then