Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Can we count on Swofford to be so bold?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    If the ACC offers Texas, Kansas, KSU, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State, it may be tough for those 5 to turn down. I doubt the Big 10 will offer KSU or Oklahoma State. Since the ACC has already made Louisville a member, the whole academic thing is out the window. Remember, Dodds is a proud Kansas State graduate and former KSU AD. Taking 2 from the Sunflower State and 2 from Sooner State could be the trick. Texas, like Texas A&M, will go it alone in their new conference and leave the other Big 12 Texas schools behind. It would be a coup to get 5 state universities into the ACC. Everyone knows Texas doesn't give a damn about anyone else, but the Kansas and Oklahoma schools are looking out for their in-state conference rivals.
    I doubt it. This offer to Texas et al. should have already been made by the ACC. I'd bet a much more likely scenario is the B1G announcing Texas as a new member, catching everybody in Greensboro off guard, or no movement at all.

Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    I doubt it. This offer to Texas et al. should have already been made by the ACC. I'd bet a much more likely scenario is the B1G announcing Texas as a new member, catching everybody in Greensboro off guard, or no movement at all.

ACC Dream. I see the problem already, too many schools from North Carolina. They can't all fit correctly on the map.

ACC Dream. I see the problem already, too many schools from North Carolina. They can't all fit correctly on the map.
    Why not just go to 24 with ISU (or Baylor), WVU, UConn, and Ohio (or Army & Navy)? 2 more Big 12 schools in the mix would make it much easier for them to dissolve their conference and void their GOR. The rest would help round out east coast coverage.

PS - Why is the VT logo the only one that looks like it was drawn in MS Paint?

Quote Originally Posted by hokieball View Post
    Because Jim Weaver didn't have enough money in the budget?

1. Who, if anyone, would you take as a 20th team? Tulane? UConn? WVU? ISU? Baylor? TT? an Ohio school (Ohio, Cincy MiamiU)? Or would you expect ND to be on board if UT comes?

2. I am waiting for one conference to pull off "the big one". By grabbing a half an dozen or so schools from another major conference in one fell swoop. Pac10 almost did it a few years ago. I think B1G just tried it with UVa/UNC/GT and possible others. When is someone going to land a knock out blow? It's high stakes fun for sure.

BTW, ISU would be interesting; big time in wrestling, AAU school, in BigTen country. In fact, adding OU, OkSt, and ISU would be huge for ACC wrestling.

BTW again, the five schools you mention above? All pretty darn good in basketball.
    If the ACC offers Texas, Kansas, KSU, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State, it may be tough for those 5 to turn down. I doubt the Big 10 will offer KSU or Oklahoma State. Since the ACC has already made Louisville a member, the whole academic thing is out the window. Remember, Dodds is a proud Kansas State graduate and former KSU AD. Taking 2 from the Sunflower State and 2 from Sooner State could be the trick. Texas, like Texas A&M, will go it alone in their new conference and leave the other Big 12 Texas schools behind. It would be a coup to get 5 state universities into the ACC. Everyone knows Texas doesn't give a damn about anyone else, but the Kansas and Oklahoma schools are looking out for their in-state conference rivals.
    Last edited by Maroon Baboon; Mon Aug 19 2013 at 11:50 PM.

4 Pods

"Ole Tex"
    Texas
    Oklahoma
    Oklahoma State
    Kansas
    Kansas State
    Iowa State

"SEC Light"
    GT
    FSU
    Miami
    Clemson
    Wake
    Tulane

"ACC Old Guard"
    UVa
    VT
    UNC
    NCSt
    Duke
    Ohio (my darkhorse)

"Old East"
    BC
    Syracuse
    Pitt
    WVU
    Louisville
    UConn

8 new states. 4 new AAU schools. 1 new basketball blueblood. Each football pod has at least one new team. 2 pods=one division (rotate each year). Heck of a title game.
    Quote Originally Posted by hokieball View Post
    Why not just go to 24 with ISU (or Baylor), WVU, UConn, and Ohio (or Army & Navy)? 2 more Big 12 schools in the mix would make it much easier for them to dissolve their conference and void their GOR. The rest would help round out east coast coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    4 Pods

"Ole Tex"
    Texas
    Oklahoma
    Oklahoma State
    Kansas
    Kansas State
    Iowa State

"SEC Light"
    GT
    FSU
    Miami
    Clemson
    Wake
    Tulane

"ACC Old Guard"
    UVa
    VT
    UNC
    NCSt
    Duke
    Ohio (my darkhorse)

"Old East"
    BC
    Syracuse
    Pitt
    WVU
    Louisville
    UConn

8 new states. 4 new AAU schools. 1 new basketball blueblood. Each football pod has at least one new team. 2 pods=one division (rotate each year). Heck of a title game.
    You eliminated ND. Are you assuming they won't join for football?
    IMHO, a better 24 team conference for VT would be in my fantasy B1G:

B1G SOUTH - VT, UVA, UMD, UNC, GT, Duke
    B1G EAST - Rutgers, PSU, OSU, Michigan, MSU, Indiana
    B1G NORTH - Purdue, ND, Illinois, Northwestern, Minnesota, Wisconsin
    B1G WEST - Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Iowa

This setup would essentially keep key ACC schools together, key Big 12 schools together, and key current B1G schools together: all under one umbrella. Plus, the academic benefits for VT would be the kicker.

[Edit: Maybe I would swap ND with Indiana in the alignment. Other than that I think this setup looks good.]
    Last edited by hokieball; Tue Aug 20 2013 at 12:20 PM.

I don't understand Texas trying to get out now. What has really changed since the GOR was signed? Were they expecting an expansion of ACC teams? I don't think so because they weren't all-in on getting FSU and company.

Quote Originally Posted by CobbCountyHokie View Post
    I think that the folks in Austin have decided that it is time to force something to happen. They see that the Big 12 has a limited future and that the LHN is still struggling. They now have a choice to make...go North or go East or even maybe go West. If the scuttlebutt is true then I am not surprised to hear that they may be playing the ACC vs the Big 10 to see who will give them a better deal. I still think that the LHN component will make negotiations with the Big 10 a little challenging but if the numbers and the deal are right then who knows?

I will say that if Texas goes to the Big 10 that it will hurt a potential ACC Network in a big way. If I am the folks in Greensboro, I would not want this to happen. Fox Sports 1 and 2 just went into over 90 million homes and if you can get a similar footprint for an ACC Network that includes ND and Texas, then everybody wins. However, if I am the Big 10 and I have the sweetest current deal in college sports, I would want to make sure that the ACC could not challenge me for king of the hill. They know the SEC will be formidable starting next year but they would not want to fight a national television rights war on another front as well.

Once again...this is just my educated opinion so take it for what it is worth.

Also...the Dude's comments on Tech and UVa going to the Big 10 are hilarious. Utterly hilarious.

I'm just assuming ND wants to stay indy, even if UT joins.

4 pods of 5

Texas, OU, OSU, KU, KSU
    ND, BC, Syracuse, FSU, Miami (ND cannot just be in a Big East pod w/ no marquee games)
    VT, UVA, Pitt, Louisville, Wake
    UNC, NCSU, Duke, Clemson, GT