Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

UNLV could be a player...

Quote Originally Posted by goldendomer View Post
    It sounds ridiculous to me. UNLV? Anyway to fan the flames a bit more.
    I think UNLV has a very good chance of getting in the PAC even without UT/OU's potential B1G domino effect. Their city and potential state-of-the-art stadium alone could get them in that conference.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-...00--ncaaf.html
    Last edited by Calamitous; Sun Aug 18 2013 at 05:36 PM.

Given what Stech, Cobb, others are saying about Texas & ACC the B1G would have to be talking to Texas too. Probably an interesting game of Texas Hold Em going on. I would guess Notre Dame is Swofford's ace in the hole or so he hopes. What's it all mean to Tech? Money and the ability to compete with the tycoon's of the college elite going forward.

This is where the Maryland defection could kick us right in the ass....

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    Been reading some things on UT trying to get around the GOR and B1G wanting to hit a homerun.

Here is an example of some of what I'm talking about

http://northwestern.rivals.com/showm...id=901&style=2

Anyway, if such a deal would go down, I'd be interested to see all of your opinions and prediction on how this would impact VT, the ACC, and college football at large.

TIA
    Stech seems to think that a connection with the northeast is attractive to Texas, and that makes sense. With Maryland in the B1G, as well as Rutgers and Penn State, I'd say they have a stronger presence in the northeast than the ACC - at least in football fans.

Northeast presence - B1G gets the nod.

Oh, and Texas is a heck of a lot closer to the bulk of B1G schools. Money: B1G has a lot more, and research - B1G in a BIG WAY. Conference network: BTN is in place while made-for-TV ACC is still evaluating. So what does the ACC have going for it?

The ACC has the proven ability to sacrifice its principles to take Texas and whoever the heck they demand (hey, you want Oklahoma and OK State? No AAU? NO PROBLEM!). We have the ability to cut them a deal the B1G would never make. I say we start using our lack of principles and try and get these now.
    Last edited by lawhokie; Sun Aug 18 2013 at 10:25 PM.

Well stated. Here is how I think this could hurt VT: if B1G goes the Texas-OU route, and maybe even lures in ND, the B1G might lose interest in the mid-Atlantic as an expansion target. If so, they won't be taking UVa or VT. And if that happens, the SEC might expand and decide it prefers UVa to VT. Then we will be truly screwed. That's why I say if we have an opening to the B1G or the SEC, we should take it. Even if the ACC survives, it will be a second-hand conference.
    Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    Stech seems to think that a connection with the northeast is attractive to Texas, and that makes sense. With Maryland in the B1G, as well as Rutgers and Penn State, I'd say they have a stronger presence in the northeast than the ACC - at least in football fans.

Northeast presence - B1G gets the nod.

Oh, and Texas is a heck of a lot closer to the bulk of B1G schools. Money: B1G has a lot more, and research - B1G in a BIG WAY. Conference network: BTN is in place while made-for-TV ACC is still evaluating. So what does the ACC have going for it?

The ACC has the proven ability to sacrifice its principles to take Texas and whoever the heck they demand (hey, you want Oklahoma and OK State? No AAU? NO PROBLEM!). We have the ability to cut them a deal the B1G would never make. I say we start using our lack of principles and try and get these now.

What do you mean by ND is the ACCs ace in the hole? Do you think ND would agree to come full time, if Texas is on the verge of going to the B1G, as way of getting Texas to come to the ACC as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by 244oshag View Post
    Given what Stech, Cobb, others are saying about Texas & ACC the B1G would have to be talking to Texas too. Probably an interesting game of Texas Hold Em going on. I would guess Notre Dame is Swofford's ace in the hole or so he hopes. What's it all mean to Tech? Money and the ability to compete with the tycoon's of the college elite going forward.

First, Texas is not impressed with the long term future of the big 12, second they dont want anything to do with the SEC due to lack of commitment to academics by the institutions.

With the discussion withe the ACC, they would desperately like to get the same deal as the Notre Dame, but I believe the ACC schools will not offer. THey really like the institutions, the robust sports programs and commitments to academics and the market share into fla, and the east coast. THey would like to make sure that if they sign up Notre Dame will follow.....However, ESPN is pushing this due to the linkage with the Longhorn Network, simply ESPN would like to package the Long horn network with the proposed ACC network. TExas wants to make sure they get the same or more revenue and 'control ' of the airways in the texas footprint.

THe big 10 offers good schools but they dont like the northern focus mid east schools, and MD and Rutgers really don't deliver the east coast. Also the big 10 comes in and demand sign away the entire rights, for long term so you can never get out. Simply the big 10 runs your media operations. THat kinda grinds Texas.

We will see what happens--- interesting times. however, the ACC GOR agreement allows ACC to be aggressive in the stealth while not worrying about teams leaving....

I don't have any inside info but I do have an opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    Been reading some things on UT trying to get around the GOR and B1G wanting to hit a homerun.

Here is an example of some of what I'm talking about

http://northwestern.rivals.com/showm...id=901&style=2

Anyway, if such a deal would go down, I'd be interested to see all of your opinions and prediction on how this would impact VT, the ACC, and college football at large.

TIA
    I think that the folks in Austin have decided that it is time to force something to happen. They see that the Big 12 has a limited future and that the LHN is still struggling. They now have a choice to make...go North or go East or even maybe go West. If the scuttlebutt is true then I am not surprised to hear that they may be playing the ACC vs the Big 10 to see who will give them a better deal. I still think that the LHN component will make negotiations with the Big 10 a little challenging but if the numbers and the deal are right then who knows?

I will say that if Texas goes to the Big 10 that it will hurt a potential ACC Network in a big way. If I am the folks in Greensboro, I would not want this to happen. Fox Sports 1 and 2 just went into over 90 million homes and if you can get a similar footprint for an ACC Network that includes ND and Texas, then everybody wins. However, if I am the Big 10 and I have the sweetest current deal in college sports, I would want to make sure that the ACC could not challenge me for king of the hill. They know the SEC will be formidable starting next year but they would not want to fight a national television rights war on another front as well.

Once again...this is just my educated opinion so take it for what it is worth.

Also...the Dude's comments on Tech and UVa going to the Big 10 are hilarious. Utterly hilarious.

I wonder how history will view the poppycocking of the SEC.

Quote Originally Posted by CobbCountyHokie View Post
    I think that the folks in Austin have decided that it is time to force something to happen. They see that the Big 12 has a limited future and that the LHN is still struggling. They now have a choice to make...go North or go East or even maybe go West. If the scuttlebutt is true then I am not surprised to hear that they may be playing the ACC vs the Big 10 to see who will give them a better deal. I still think that the LHN component will make negotiations with the Big 10 a little challenging but if the numbers and the deal are right then who knows?

I will say that if Texas goes to the Big 10 that it will hurt a potential ACC Network in a big way. If I am the folks in Greensboro, I would not want this to happen. Fox Sports 1 and 2 just went into over 90 million homes and if you can get a similar footprint for an ACC Network that includes ND and Texas, then everybody wins. However, if I am the Big 10 and I have the sweetest current deal in college sports, I would want to make sure that the ACC could not challenge me for king of the hill. They know the SEC will be formidable starting next year but they would not want to fight a national television rights war on another front as well.

Once again...this is just my educated opinion so take it for what it is worth.

Also...the Dude's comments on Tech and UVa going to the Big 10 are hilarious. Utterly hilarious.
    VT certainly put all of its eggs in one basket with the ACC. If the B1G eats Texas, and the SEC remains powerful or grows by two more, the ACC could be stuck in second-tier obscurity forever.

I keep hearing how attractive the ACC is to Texas, but the realist in me says that if I were Deloss Dodds, I'd much rather join an organization like the B1G and not have my university's athletics governed by a bunch of buffoons in tobacco country. Oh, and I'm sure the UT academics wouldn't mind joining the CIC. Just my opinion.

VT certainly put all of its eggs in one basket with the ACC. If the B1G eats Texas, and the SEC remains powerful or grows by two more, the ACC could be stuck in second-tier obscurity forever.

I keep hearing how attractive the ACC is to Texas, but the realist in me says that if I were Deloss Dodds, I'd much rather join an organization like the B1G and not have my university's athletics governed by a bunch of buffoons in tobacco country. Oh, and I'm sure the UT academics wouldn't mind joining the CIC. Just my opinion.
    If the ACC offers Texas, Kansas, KSU, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State, it may be tough for those 5 to turn down. I doubt the Big 10 will offer KSU or Oklahoma State. Since the ACC has already made Louisville a member, the whole academic thing is out the window. Remember, Dodds is a proud Kansas State graduate and former KSU AD. Taking 2 from the Sunflower State and 2 from Sooner State could be the trick. Texas, like Texas A&M, will go it alone in their new conference and leave the other Big 12 Texas schools behind. It would be a coup to get 5 state universities into the ACC. Everyone knows Texas doesn't give a damn about anyone else, but the Kansas and Oklahoma schools are looking out for their in-state conference rivals.

History will not acknowledge it because there is zero evidence from either side that Virginia Tech ever had an SEC invitation to turn down. We never blew them off because neither they nor we were interested in a move at the time. No matter how many times we stated that we were happy with the ACC's current configuration, rumors persisted that somehow the SEC was waiting for us to jump into their arms. That is when the Poppycock statement came out because nobody was hearing the message... The rumors simply were not true.
    *.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. *.*.*.*.*.*

I just wish we would STOP with the zone blocking read option crap and line up in the I, put a hat on a hat and run the tailback behind the fullback through a designated gosh-danged hole. There is NO REASON why this program shouldn't be able to find 5 fat guys who can move some people out of the way and clear a lane for a back to get through!