Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

If Texas went to the B1G, would this be a positive or negative for the ACC? VT?

Been reading some things on UT trying to get around the GOR and B1G wanting to hit a homerun.

Here is an example of some of what I'm talking about

http://northwestern.rivals.com/showm...id=901&style=2

Anyway, if such a deal would go down, I'd be interested to see all of your opinions and prediction on how this would impact VT, the ACC, and college football at large.

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    Been reading some things on UT trying to get around the GOR and B1G wanting to hit a homerun.

Anyway, if such a deal would go down, I'd be interested to see all of your opinions and prediction on how this would impact VT, the ACC, and college football at large.

TIA
    OSU "insiders" are saying that they're talking.
    The OSU Insider says that

The Pac 12 is expanding and has started talking to the schools who would be leftover from a Texas/OU B1G expansion and will grease the wheels of the B1G expansion by making a soft landing spot for Texas Tech, OK State, etc. is what he said (guess this means K-State or Baylor) as the third school. But the fourth school the PAC 12 would take was a surprise. He says its between UNLV and Nevada-Reno right now for the last spot with UNLV in the lead right now.

He said that FOX is brokering the leftovers to the PAC 12 so that FOX will have coast-to-coast football. FWIW.

Also said talks with Texas were heating up.
    It sounds ridiculous to me. UNLV? Anyway to fan the flames a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by goldendomer View Post

Interesting... Wonder what the Big 12-2 would do with that? Surely some would say, "good riddance," but a Texas departure would be a pretty major blow. They'd have Oklahoma and Okie State (their staying power is undetermined), West Virginia, and TCU (another team with questionable staying power). Between Baylor, Kansas, K-State, Iowa State, TCU, and Texas Tech, I doubt they could command the kind of money they're expecting. West Virginia would start camping on the lawn in Greensboro holding up a boom box playing Peter Gabriel on repeat.
    *.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. *.*.*.*.*.*

I just wish we would STOP with the zone blocking read option crap and line up in the I, put a hat on a hat and run the tailback behind the fullback through a designated gosh-danged hole. There is NO REASON why this program shouldn't be able to find 5 fat guys who can move some people out of the way and clear a lane for a back to get through!

UNLV is a great addition for the Pac12. It adds a new state that is mack dab in the middle of their footprint. They could host ball tourneys there.

TIA
    They'll end up in the B1G because ultimately, geography matters. I think this allows for the ACC to pick up WVU, that high horse the ACC was riding is long gone. From there, I think they move to 20 with Cinn., Temple, and others.

Then you get something like this:

ACC 1:
    BC, Cuse, ND, UCONN, (Navy?).

ACC 2:
    Pitt, WVU, Temple, Cinn., UofL

ACC 3:
    Duke, UNC, NC ST., VT, UVA

ACC 4:
    FSU, Miami, GT, Clemson, Wake

That actually seems like a pretty solid grouping of schools if you ask me. VT's 9 game conference schedule would be pretty dang good most years too.

If 16 is the magical number, that means the BIG would be where they wanted to be. That would put an end to the rumors of ACC schools going there. We would have to watch and see what the SEC and PAC12 will do. Do they move right away to counter? Who would the Pac12 go after. The pickings are slim out west but they have the academic superiority complex the ACC has as well, so would that stop them from taking TT and OSU? Would the SEC move on the ACC and invite FSU? Who knows.

TIA

Pac12 taking BXII leftovers from a tu/OU-B1G expansion would be a surprise to me. It seems that the Pac10 could have had Texas and OU a few years back, but there were too many strap hangers (read: Baylor). That's why the Pac10 abruptly offered a single invitation to CU to rule Baylor out of the numbers game. So if that was a deal breaker back then, it would be an astonishing lowering of the bar to take on BXII leftovers while allowing B1G to walk off with the crowned jewels.

Also, the Pac12 is ultra secular, and therefore has religious hangups with Baylor. And they likely have academic hangups K-State and Oklahoma State.

BTW, the OSU insider that you are talking about...is it Okie State or Ohio State?

FWIW, 16 isn't a magical number. And neither is 4 conference. For some conferences, 18 or more might be the number. For others, 14 or less (I could see the SEC not giving a hoot if Vandy and Mizzou went to the B1G). And unless the Pac12 gets Texas and Oklahoma, getting to 16 would be a stretch.

Also, we could have anywhere from 3 to 5 mega conferences depending on how things shake down.
    Quote Originally Posted by corvt2000 View Post
    If 16 is the magical number, that means the BIG would be where they wanted to be. That would put an end to the rumors of ACC schools going there. We would have to watch and see what the SEC and PAC12 will do. Do they move right away to counter? Who would the Pac12 go after. The pickings are slim out west but they have the academic superiority complex the ACC has as well, so would that stop them from taking TT and OSU? Would the SEC move on the ACC and invite FSU? Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4vt View Post
    UNLV is a great addition for the Pac12. It adds a new state that is mack dab in the middle of their footprint. They could host ball tourneys there.
    That's where the bball tourney was last year.
    "Knowledge is good"

--Emil Faber, 1904

Pac12 taking BXII leftovers from a tu/OU-B1G expansion would be a surprise to me. It seems that the Pac10 could have had Texas and OU a few years back, but there were too many strap hangers (read: Baylor). That's why the Pac10 abruptly offered a single invitation to CU to rule Baylor out of the numbers game. So if that was a deal breaker back then, it would be an astonishing lowering of the bar to take on BXII leftovers while allowing B1G to walk off with the crowned jewels.

Also, the Pac12 is ultra secular, and therefore has religious hangups with Baylor. And they likely have academic hangups K-State and Oklahoma State.

BTW, the OSU insider that you are talking about...is it Okie State or Ohio State?

I guess I should have done it like this. tOSU(Ohio St)