Need help understanding the "Blown Save" stat in baseball. I saw the box score for

the Round Rock Express (Rangers AAA team) against the Tacoma Rainiers (Seattle) from Wednesday night. Ben Rowen entered the game in the top of the 8th inning with one out.

I suspect the formatting below will be all screwed up when I post this, so if it is, I apologize.

Here is the line for Rowen:

Player IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA
    Ben Rowen (BS, 1) 1.2 0 0 0 0 2 0 0.38

Here is the recap of the top of the 8th inning (Express up 6-3 heading into the 8th)

Tacoma Top of the 8th
    Pitching Change: Justin Miller replaces Johan Yan.
    Ty Kelly walks.
    Franklin Gutierrez walks. Ty Kelly to 2nd.
    Rich Poythress strikes out swinging.
    Stefen Romero singles on a line drive to center fielder Engel Beltre. Ty Kelly scores. Franklin Gutierrez to 2nd.
    Carlos Triunfel reaches on a fielding error by second baseman Alex Buchholz. Franklin Gutierrez to 3rd. Stefen Romero to 2nd.
    Joseph Dunigan walks. Franklin Gutierrez scores. Stefen Romero to 3rd. Carlos Triunfel to 2nd.
    Pitching Change: Ben Rowen replaces Justin Miller.
    Jason Jaramillo grounds out, second baseman Alex Buchholz to first baseman Chris McGuiness. Stefen Romero scores. Carlos Triunfel to 3rd. Joseph Dunigan to 2nd.
    Leury Bonilla reaches on a throwing error by third baseman Mike Bianucci. Carlos Triunfel scores. Joseph Dunigan scores.
    With Abraham Almonte batting, Leury Bonilla steals (1) 2nd base.
    Abraham Almonte flies out to center fielder Engel Beltre.

This link may make it easier http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...g_box&sid=milb

Why is Rowen charged with a Blown Save??
    Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

That's a great question. I'm no authority but if a reliever comes in with winning runs on base and they end up scoring, then the reliever is credited with a blown save, even if the runs were unearned. Otherwise, a 'save' could be blown and nobody got charges with the BS. Actually, it was the fielder who made the err that 'blew the save'.

Stats can be very misleading, especially for relievers who get wins and losses at times for no apparent reason except they are the pitcher of record when something kinky happens. Tonight in NFL, Michael Vick had a great game but on the last play of the half, he took a 1% chance for a last second score and threw a hail mary pass that was intercepted. This resulted in his QB rating for the game to be must less than if he had just taken a knee.
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasGobbler View Post
    the Round Rock Express (Rangers AAA team) against the Tacoma Rainiers (Seattle) from Wednesday night. Ben Rowen entered the game in the top of the 8th inning with one out.

I suspect the formatting below will be all screwed up when I post this, so if it is, I apologize.

Here is the recap of the top of the 8th inning (Express up 6-3 heading into the 8th)

Tacoma Top of the 8th
    Ty Kelly walks.
    Stefen Romero singles on a line drive to center fielder Engel Beltre. Ty Kelly scores. Franklin Gutierrez to 2nd.
    Carlos Triunfel reaches on a fielding error by second baseman Alex Buchholz. Franklin Gutierrez to 3rd. Stefen Romero to 2nd.
    Joseph Dunigan walks. Franklin Gutierrez scores. Stefen Romero to 3rd. Carlos Triunfel to 2nd.
    Jason Jaramillo grounds out, second baseman Alex Buchholz to first baseman Chris McGuiness. Stefen Romero scores. Carlos Triunfel to 3rd. Joseph Dunigan to 2nd.
    Leury Bonilla reaches on a throwing error by third baseman Mike Bianucci. Carlos Triunfel scores. Joseph Dunigan scores.

This link may make it easier http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...g_box&sid=milb

Born and bred a Hokie

Tacoma Top of the 8th
    Ty Kelly walks.

If I read that correctly, I think it is because the runners who scored the go-ahead runs were on as a result of Miller (although that error by the 2nd baseman may blow THAT theory, I don't know). It is like a starting pitcher getting the loss if he leaves the game up a run, with 2 men on, and they both score. at THAT point, he has the loss iirc.
    Last edited by HOKIERIT; Sun Aug 18 2013 at 09:23 AM.

it is just as simple as he came in the game under a save situation and the runs that eliminated the save situation, and in this instance, the win, were allowed while he pitched. the score was 6-5 when he entered the game. the runs weren't charged to him, but rather the pitcher prior to him that took the loss.

Tacoma Top of the 8th
    Ty Kelly walks.

I see a northern VA guy, Mike Bianucci, made the big error as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokies23 View Post
    it is just as simple as he came in the game under a save situation and the runs that eliminated the save situation, and in this instance, the win, were allowed while he pitched. the score was 6-5 when he entered the game. the runs weren't charged to him, but rather the pitcher prior to him that took the loss.

I guess I have a problem with the Save and Blown Save stat. You're right. The runs were charged to the previous pitchers. However, other than giving up a ground out (probably a fielder's choice, I don't know) with the runner already on third, he pitched fairly well. The error on Bianucci allowed 2 more runs to score. It just makes a reliever look bad when he is charged with a blown save through no fault of his own. I suppose there are numerous cases similar to this and on the flip side, sometimes a pitcher is credited with a save when he comes into the game and only faces one batter. Seems like it could be a very mis-leading stat.

Don't get me started on the "hold" stat for pitchers. I guess the real baseball GMs and Managers know how to weed through the stats to determine a player's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokies23 View Post
    Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.