Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by FF Hokie View Post
    I wonder if Frank still "wants to take ours and play theirs" with regards to our recruiting
    It feels like Alice and Wonderland around here sometimes with respect to the O, but I am really confident Scott/Grimey will be able to turn it around...however, this is a 2 year project at a miniumum. I don't think its wise for folks to dilute themselves into thinking this season is going to miraculously change from last season's O debacle. That is why its so critical for our D to perform and remain healthy...hence, losing RVD is a HUGE loss...we can't afford too much more of this, and I am afraid that Bama is literally going to beat the crap out of us. Fingers are crossed and Hail Mary's are being sent up to heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by IronBlood View Post
    I can guarantee you he does. And even with the huge disparity in talent level, he's gonna stick up for his guys. That shouldn't be lost on so many people, but apparently it is. Our fan base decided several years ago that if we can't win with what we have then we should throw it out and start over, but anyone who claims to be a realist should understand why that isn't so easy or sometimes even possible. What exactly have any of our current players done to deserve such disrespect from their own schools students/fans/alumni?
    From my standpoint this has ZERO to do with the kids we have...they are doing their best, and that is all we can ask from them, as they pour out blood, sweat and everything else they give for the program, themselves, and the fans. My assertion all along has been simple: If you see a chronic problem and fail to do something about it, then you shouldn't complain about the results. We have had coaches being paid LOTS OF $$$ to produce mediocre results (offensive coaches mind you) for years...this failure to recognize, let alone, ACT to do what's in the best interest of the program is a major failure from the top down. This failure has lead us to where we are now; ineffective recruiting, and perceptions that we don't have a clue on how to manage offensive football.

Finally, our offensive morass has been acted upon, but make no mistake, we will be paying for these failures, lack of leadership on this issue for years..That is the sad truth of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Hokie View Post
    From my standpoint this has ZERO to do with the kids we have...they are doing their best, and that is all we can ask from them, as they pour out blood, sweat and everything else they give for the program, themselves, and the fans. My assertion all along has been simple: If you see a chronic problem and fail to do something about it, then you shouldn't complain about the results. We have had coaches being paid LOTS OF $$$ to produce mediocre results (offensive coaches mind you) for years...this failure to recognize, let alone, ACT to do what's in the best interest of the program is a major failure from the top down. This failure has lead us to where we are now; ineffective recruiting, and perceptions that we don't have a clue on how to manage offensive football.

Finally, our offensive morass has been acted upon, but make no mistake, we will be paying for these failures, lack of leadership on this issue for years..That is the sad truth of it.
    EDIT: My bad Irish, I thought I was responding to FF - but it was you. Obvioiusly you didn't quote the "we'll take ours and play theirs". That's what I get for not paying attention. My apologies.
    Last edited by IronBlood; Fri Aug 16 2013 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IronBlood View Post
    EDIT: My bad Irish, I thought I was responding to FF - but it was you. Obvioiusly you didn't quote the "we'll take ours and play theirs". That's what I get for not paying attention. My apologies.
    No worries at all...I am as concerned as everyone is about our state of the state, but the kids are the kids and we will always back them up 100%. CHEERS!

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Hokie View Post
    AH, is that a trick question Mr. Stinespring? The answer is obvious, and of course begs the question if your marvelous efforts in recruiting that masterful offense scheme over the years had been successful, we probably wouldn't be pinning all of WR hopes on a guy running around on 1leg...let alone relying on the other key cogs in the machine being a WR who is effectively a track star (Knowles) with limited experience, or a former Canadian, masquerading as a kid from Georgia (Stanford), who's also still learning the game as well.

Personally, just not good odds, but then again, you are by 'default' immune to these realities of dysfunction which have pervaded our O existence for what, 5-7 years now. What's the saying, 'you reap what you sow'? We are now reaping what we have sowed according to your cumulative offensive brilliance.

All I can say is God Bless Scott, Grimey, and Emery Morehead's Son)
    I think you underestimate the talent of Knowles. But that would interfere with your Stiney joke.
    I will never understand people.
    They're the worst!

Quote Originally Posted by cwtcr hokie View Post
    none of us know who is going to get injured but are you saying Knowles can't be a good WR, he showed well last year and that was with limited plays. Are you saying the WR's we recruited that are not starters now but probably will play this year are not talented? I assume we were not the only team recruiting them, they may be young but for a WR that is not a huge problem. My guess is they know how to run routes, know how to play football and can catch the ball (or else we probably would not have recruited them).
    Yep, who cares if the wide receivers have no experience? That shouldn't be any problem at all! The fact that only 2 receivers on our whole team have ever caught a pass in a college game is no problem. These guys have talent, and after all, someone else recruited them, too!

In fact, I don't know why anyone ever even discusses experience in terms of athletic performance. As long as they are on VT's roster it doesn't really matter. Because experience, and both physical and mental maturity, don't have any bearing on how good a player plays.

Quote Originally Posted by 48zip View Post
    I think you underestimate the talent of Knowles. But that would interfere with your Stiney joke.
    I think Knowles is going to be an excellent receiver too. The point above related to experience (thus far) and the fact that with the exception of Coles (who's injury prone), we are very thin from an experience standpoint. There's no arguing that point.

The Stiney joke is in 'a joke' as well...i.e. its our offensive that has been a joke for quite some time.

Of course it matters what game experience they have but for the WR position IMO it is not as vital as other positions, for instance in other programs tr fr WR's seem to pick it up rather quickly, we have done that also, for instance Fuller last year. So no, the fact that most of our WR guys are young and some have little to no experience in game days is not a huge concern for me. It can be for you and that is ok

Quote Originally Posted by King of Hokies View Post
    Yep, who cares if the wide receivers have no experience? That shouldn't be any problem at all! The fact that only 2 receivers on our whole team have ever caught a pass in a college game is no problem. These guys have talent, and after all, someone else recruited them, too!

In fact, I don't know why anyone ever even discusses experience in terms of athletic performance. As long as they are on VT's roster it doesn't really matter. Because experience, and both physical and mental maturity, don't have any bearing on how good a player plays.

huh?

Quote Originally Posted by cwtcr hokie View Post
    Of course it matters what game experience they have but for the WR position IMO it is not as vital as other positions, for instance in other programs tr fr WR's seem to pick it up rather quickly, we have done that also, for instance Fuller last year. So no, the fact that most of our WR guys are young and some have little to no experience in game days is not a huge concern for me. It can be for you and that is ok
    What? Is this a joke? Fuller was a 22-23 year old redshirt senior last year who had played in 6 previous college football games, 57 plays total. He was named the Bullock Most Improved offensive player the year before his senior year. He ran a 4.36 forty. We have only two players on our roster this year with that combination of talent and experience, Coles and Knowles.

I'm not dogging our players. But we have serious, serious roster problems this year. If we win 8 games if might be the best coaching job ever done at VT (2006 with 10 wins is tops in my opinion). It's just super foolish to look at our WR corps and predict we will be fine. Especially with Coles (in my mind anyway) a super big question mark due to his lingering injury.