Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 51
  1. #21

    Join Date
    September 17, 2001
    Posts
    29,098
    "Our biggest improvement is from game 1 to game 2" - CFB (ditto)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaCat View Post
    Plan your trip around family, friends and Hokie Nation. Represent as we always do. Be realistic about the game at this point. I don't see us staying within 28 on this one.
    "That's some catch, that Catch 22!" - Capt. Yossarian

  2. #22

    Join Date
    January 08, 2002
    Location
    Blacksburg, VA
    Posts
    16,926
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaCat View Post
    Plan your trip around family, friends and Hokie Nation. Represent as we always do. Be realistic about the game at this point. I don't see us staying within 28 on this one.
    Not sure...I trust in Bud, and everyone (including me) has been focused on who we DON'T have playing, but we DO have Logan Thomas, DJ Coles, Trey Edmunds (who I believe will be a star), the Fullers, the fastest WR since A Davis in D Knowles, our DL, etc. I really don't think we will win, but historically this is the type of game where we really gut out a performance and put a scare into a heavily favored opponent

  3. #23

    Join Date
    May 23, 2003
    Posts
    2,681
    Quote Originally Posted by Pride_and_Joy View Post
    LSU dismantled our defense by picking on our inexperienced Whip (C. Martin) and Rover (K. Chancellor) in 2007. This Bama offense is more talented, IMO, and will similarly be able to exploit matchups. On offense, I hope Grimes can get the most out of our offensive line, but he's working with very limited pieces. Wang is constantly injuried (not his fault, just saying), Shuman is out, Goins is out, Taraschke has given up football -- this to a unit that was generally regarded as one of, if not THE, weakest units on the team BEFORE the injuries.
    This isn't the same team that played LSU. The team that played LSU thought they had a chance and I'll wager many of them even thought that VT would win. They were overconfident. No overconfidence on the 2013 team. It will be an inexperienced enigma at a ton of positions. Huge disadvantages on paper for VT, but all it takes is a strong start to create doubt for Alabama. With so many unknowns (RB,WR,OL,WHIP,CB) I absolutely cannot expect no one to step up and play strong. Someone is going to be way better than anyone expected.


    Quote Originally Posted by Pride_and_Joy View Post
    Our defensive line is good and deep. That's the strength of the team. But what about linebacker? Tyler is a stud. Edwards was great 2 years ago, but he's admitted he's playing with pain. Will he be as good as we'll need him to be? That's an unknown IMO.
    .

    The one player you quote as a stud is the one player I'm not sure anyone expected to be a stud. I do agree though that if VT is beaten soundly, we'll look back and say it was here. Regardless of the high opinion of McCarron, if VT can't slow down/stop occasionally the Bama rushing game, then we have no chance. Tyler and Edwards must have great games

    Quote Originally Posted by Pride_and_Joy View Post
    Finally, the injury to RVD is devestating. We have two walk-ons at that position now (Trimble and DiNardo). They may turn out to be good players (ala Cody Grimm), but I cannot imagine they won't be in over the heads against Bama. It generally takes a year or two to really get that position down -- and Bama is going to attack the Whip and attack our freshman cornerbacks.
    Can't argue here either. In order to win, someone has to step up and be adequat at WHIP and the DL must help the secondary out by slowing down the running game and getting consistent pressure on McCarron.

  4. #24

    Join Date
    November 11, 1999
    Posts
    108
    yes well i remember Commander Spock telling Captain Kirk the odds of them being destroyed is 1087 to 1. And, Captain Kirk replied "never tell me the odds". And that is the way the coaches and team should prepare.

    I recall someone pointing out that Alabama has more talent and experience this year than when we played them in 2009. However, that team went on to win their first National Championship. BTW what team on the Bama schedule that year scored the most points on their defense?

  5. #25

    Join Date
    January 19, 2004
    Posts
    15,980
    It was C3PO to Han Solo and what's your point?

    We scored 17 "offensive" points against Alabama -- I don't know if that was more than anyone else or not. Again, what's your point?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reston Hokie2 View Post
    yes well i remember Commander Spock telling Captain Kirk the odds of them being destroyed is 1087 to 1. And, Captain Kirk replied "never tell me the odds". And that is the way the coaches and team should prepare.

    I recall someone pointing out that Alabama has more talent and experience this year than when we played them in 2009. However, that team went on to win their first National Championship. BTW what team on the Bama schedule that year scored the most points on their defense?

  6. #26
    IllinoisHokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 20, 2010
    Location
    Three guesses...
    Posts
    3,416
    Play with heart for 60 minutes and forget the score. That's what I want to see in ATL, and then 11 more times this year. For once I could give a crap less about Ws and Ls. I want to watch a culture change happen.

    This season is ALL about the Hokies in my mind. Our biggest opponent is old tendencies, mindsets, and complacencies.

  7. #27

    Join Date
    January 19, 2004
    Posts
    15,980
    I've never heard the argument that we lost 48-7 because we were overconfident. We got whipped because our OL was owned by the defensive line (because their defensive line was sick and our OL was weak -- not because of over-confidence) and because they exploited our lack of experience at Whip, which in turn caused our Backer and Mike (the best duo we've ever had) to abandon gap-sound football and try to just run to the ball and make plays. At that point, it was game over. IIRC, Hall and Adibi even said as much after the game. They basically said, "We didn't play our gaps/assignments. We were just trying too hard to make plays."

    Perhaps we'll just have to agree to disagree, but we got beat by superior talent and horrendous matchups, not over-confidence.

    Finally, I don't buy the idea that all it will take to create doubt for Bama is a strong start by VT. I don't buy that AT ALL. Bama is the 2-time defending champs. They have great talent and great coaching and have had great success. Teams like that aren't rattled by an early 14 point deficit. Heck, the entire 2010 VT season was an example of falling behind early and then rallying. If VT is mentally tough enough to not get rattled and fall apart, I'm fairly certain Bama is that mentally tough.

    If we win, it won't be because Bama falls apart mentally. It will be because we played a near-perfect game, got some favorable bounces, and Bama just doesn't play particularly well. We'll have to beat them. They're not going to just give it to us.

    Quote Originally Posted by IronBlood View Post
    This isn't the same team that played LSU. The team that played LSU thought they had a chance and I'll wager many of them even thought that VT would win. They were overconfident. No overconfidence on the 2013 team. It will be an inexperienced enigma at a ton of positions. Huge disadvantages on paper for VT, but all it takes is a strong start to create doubt for Alabama. With so many unknowns (RB,WR,OL,WHIP,CB) I absolutely cannot expect no one to step up and play strong. Someone is going to be way better than anyone expected.


    .

    The one player you quote as a stud is the one player I'm not sure anyone expected to be a stud. I do agree though that if VT is beaten soundly, we'll look back and say it was here. Regardless of the high opinion of McCarron, if VT can't slow down/stop occasionally the Bama rushing game, then we have no chance. Tyler and Edwards must have great games



    Can't argue here either. In order to win, someone has to step up and be adequat at WHIP and the DL must help the secondary out by slowing down the running game and getting consistent pressure on McCarron.

  8. #28

    Join Date
    September 09, 2003
    Location
    Leesburg, VA
    Posts
    944
    Quote Originally Posted by Pride_and_Joy View Post
    Bama is not just a smashmouth, run the ball and play good defense team. McCarron is a legit Heisman candidate this year, Yeldon is a really good back, and Cooper is one of the best receivers in the country. They can be really explosive. Even if our defense plays GREAT, we're going to need to score 24 points or so to even be in the game -- IMO.
    I'm not as worried about Cooper, because I think he'll get the Julio Jones treatment. What worries me is that this opens us up to a lot of 1-on-1 with their other WRs, who are damned good in their own right, and the TEs. Like you said, McCarron is one of the best in the game right now and he's playing with a ton of confidence. If we don't find a way to get pressure on him then it's going to get ugly, fast.
    "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

    --Leonardo da Vinci

  9. #29

    Join Date
    May 23, 2003
    Posts
    2,681
    Quote Originally Posted by Pride_and_Joy View Post
    Perhaps we'll just have to agree to disagree, but we got beat by superior talent and horrendous matchups, not over-confidence.
    I never said we lost only because we were over-confident, but I think it was a factor. Put another way, the OL was not good, but they were not ready to play against a team with superior talent. A superior talent that is fundamentally more ready to play the game will dominate their opponent. That's why we got dominated. From a MACRO standpoint, how many people expected VT to be blown out prior to that game? Did you? Don't read me someone else's post game analysis and pass it off as this year's post game analysis. How many people expect VT to be blown out this year? Alot given a spread of 19 points. This team, obviously with help from new coaching, will be fundamentally better prepared for Alabama than the team was against LSU. That's my opinion, but I think it is reasonable. OL is their biggest unknown and we know all about having a poor OL in a big game.

    [QUOTE=Pride_and_Joy;833121]Finally, I don't buy the idea that all it will take to create doubt for Bama is a strong start by VT. I don't buy that AT ALL. Bama is the 2-time defending champs. They have great talent and great coaching and have had great success. Teams like that aren't rattled by an early 14 point deficit. Heck, the entire 2010 VT season was an example of falling behind early and then rallying. If VT is mentally tough enough to not get rattled and fall apart, I'm fairly certain Bama is that mentally tough.[\QUOTE]

    You're probably right, but every year is a new team and stranger things have happened in an opening week game, even with a 2-time defending champ. Maybe it doesn't have to be doubt, but just a slow start. It would not be unheard of for them to take us lightly. You can preach about great talent and great coaching and great success, but there is a huge reason why not many teams can continue that success forever. It is hard to do and there is tremendous pressure. A lot of big time players at big time schools have trouble with that. Not all of their players can carry that mantle.

  10. #30

    Join Date
    December 22, 2005
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaCat View Post
    Plan your trip around family, friends and Hokie Nation. Represent as we always do. Be realistic about the game at this point. I don't see us staying within 28 on this one.
    I do not think that VT will win. However I think that it will be close than people. Tech has always done better when expectations are lower.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •