Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

You don't need to apologize for being optimistic -- its a free country. Optimistic people tend to be happier and more successful than pessimistic people, so that is a good thing.

However, I'm not sure I would call it "being optimistic" when you respond to people who have opinions different than your own with sarcasm and hyperbole -- which is a very consistent trend in how you post.

You take, what appears to me, to be a reasonable position (e.g., "Our game against Bama is going to be painful") and you exaggerate it and respond with childish sarcasm. I don't know anyone who things VT is "doomed" or that VT should choose not to show up in Atlanta. No one is suggesting those sorts of responses. Does expressing the opinion that our game against Bama will be painful really warrant that sort of sarcastic response? I'm just curious, what do you think those sorts of responses accomplish? I really am interested -- are you trying to shame people into being more positive about the VT football program? Are you simply angry at or frustrated by people who disagree with you and this is the best way you know to respond? It has been a pattern for years and I really am trying to understand why you post the way you do.

Look, I'm not perfect and I sometimes make sarcastic posts (I did it just yesterday), but it seems to diminish the quality of the discourse on the boards. Just curious what drives this style of posting for you.

And for the record, before the injuries started mounting up, I gave us a puncher's chance to actually BEAT Bama. But if I'm being realistic, I think these injuries make it very difficult for us to legitimately compete with them.

LSU dismantled our defense by picking on our inexperienced Whip (C. Martin) and Rover (K. Chancellor) in 2007. This Bama offense is more talented, IMO, and will similarly be able to exploit matchups. On offense, I hope Grimes can get the most out of our offensive line, but he's working with very limited pieces. Wang is constantly injuried (not his fault, just saying), Shuman is out, Goins is out, Taraschke has given up football -- this to a unit that was generally regarded as one of, if not THE, weakest units on the team BEFORE the injuries.

Add to that that JC Coleman will be lucky to be back for Bama, Holmes got dismissed, Assante was dismissed, Caleb is suspended for the first game, and Coles does not appear to be entirely healthy. There just aren't a lot of pieces on offense that are bright spots. Bama isn't just a good team -- they are a juggernaut and I think it would take our best effort and our best game to position ourselves for a win. I just don't see that on offense.

On defense, Exum -- who was our best cover corner last year -- is out. Manning left the team. Tookes left the team. That means we're down THREE cornerbacks from where we were last spring. No problem, right? Because Faycson and Kendall Fuller have emerged as really good young players. Ok, we've got three good corners, I'll buy that.

Our defensive line is good and deep. That's the strength of the team. But what about linebacker? Tyler is a stud. Edwards was great 2 years ago, but he's admitted he's playing with pain. Will he be as good as we'll need him to be? That's an unknown IMO.

Finally, the injury to RVD is devestating. We have two walk-ons at that position now (Trimble and DiNardo). They may turn out to be good players (ala Cody Grimm), but I cannot imagine they won't be in over the heads against Bama. It generally takes a year or two to really get that position down -- and Bama is going to attack the Whip and attack our freshman cornerbacks.

I just don't see how we sore more than 10-14 points without immense help from special teams or defense. It could happen on special teams -- Knowles (KR) and Jarrett (PR) are both dangerous.

Bama is not just a smashmouth, run the ball and play good defense team. McCarron is a legit Heisman candidate this year, Yeldon is a really good back, and Cooper is one of the best receivers in the country. They can be really explosive. Even if our defense plays GREAT, we're going to need to score 24 points or so to even be in the game -- IMO.

I say all of this because I'm not "trying to be pessimistic" -- I want you to see that I have actual REASONS for having the perspective I have -- which I don't think warrants ridicule or sarcasm -- but rather reasoned discussion and debate. JMO. Have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by cwtcr hokie View Post
    The team had issues in 2012, we made changes, we have different personnel but more returning starters from last year, we have a senior QB, we have Edmunds, and so darn sorry I am optimistic to start the year. Do you think 2012 is the new normal? Not for me with the recruits we are getting but no it does not take 5 years to get back to bcs bowls. What will this year bring, who knows but I don't go thru life negative, it is a sucky way to be to me anyways.

Can we beat bama, sure, it is possible, it will be very difficult if the espn hype machine is correct about bama but it is a win win for us, we lose then we are one of the 14 teams that bama ran over on their way to another MNC, if we win we pull off the upset of the century

Quote Originally Posted by Pride_and_Joy View Post
    You don't need to apologize for being optimistic -- its a free country. Optimistic people tend to be happier and more successful than pessimistic people, so that is a good thing.

However, I'm not sure I would call it "being optimistic" when you respond to people who have opinions different than your own with sarcasm and hyperbole -- which is a very consistent trend in how you post.

You take, what appears to me, to be a reasonable position (e.g., "Our game against Bama is going to be painful") and you exaggerate it and respond with childish sarcasm. I don't know anyone who things VT is "doomed" or that VT should choose not to show up in Atlanta. No one is suggesting those sorts of responses. Does expressing the opinion that our game against Bama will be painful really warrant that sort of sarcastic response? I'm just curious, what do you think those sorts of responses accomplish? I really am interested -- are you trying to shame people into being more positive about the VT football program? Are you simply angry at or frustrated by people who disagree with you and this is the best way you know to respond? It has been a pattern for years and I really am trying to understand why you post the way you do.

Look, I'm not perfect and I sometimes make sarcastic posts (I did it just yesterday), but it seems to diminish the quality of the discourse on the boards. Just curious what drives this style of posting for you.

And for the record, before the injuries started mounting up, I gave us a puncher's chance to actually BEAT Bama. But if I'm being realistic, I think these injuries make it very difficult for us to legitimately compete with them.

LSU dismantled our defense by picking on our inexperienced Whip (C. Martin) and Rover (K. Chancellor) in 2007. This Bama offense is more talented, IMO, and will similarly be able to exploit matchups. On offense, I hope Grimes can get the most out of our offensive line, but he's working with very limited pieces. Wang is constantly injuried (not his fault, just saying), Shuman is out, Goins is out, Taraschke has given up football -- this to a unit that was generally regarded as one of, if not THE, weakest units on the team BEFORE the injuries.

Add to that that JC Coleman will be lucky to be back for Bama, Holmes got dismissed, Assante was dismissed, Caleb is suspended for the first game, and Coles does not appear to be entirely healthy. There just aren't a lot of pieces on offense that are bright spots. Bama isn't just a good team -- they are a juggernaut and I think it would take our best effort and our best game to position ourselves for a win. I just don't see that on offense.

On defense, Exum -- who was our best cover corner last year -- is out. Manning left the team. Tookes left the team. That means we're down THREE cornerbacks from where we were last spring. No problem, right? Because Faycson and Kendall Fuller have emerged as really good young players. Ok, we've got three good corners, I'll buy that.

Our defensive line is good and deep. That's the strength of the team. But what about linebacker? Tyler is a stud. Edwards was great 2 years ago, but he's admitted he's playing with pain. Will he be as good as we'll need him to be? That's an unknown IMO.

Finally, the injury to RVD is devestating. We have two walk-ons at that position now (Trimble and DiNardo). They may turn out to be good players (ala Cody Grimm), but I cannot imagine they won't be in over the heads against Bama. It generally takes a year or two to really get that position down -- and Bama is going to attack the Whip and attack our freshman cornerbacks.

I just don't see how we sore more than 10-14 points without immense help from special teams or defense. It could happen on special teams -- Knowles (KR) and Jarrett (PR) are both dangerous.

Bama is not just a smashmouth, run the ball and play good defense team. McCarron is a legit Heisman candidate this year, Yeldon is a really good back, and Cooper is one of the best receivers in the country. They can be really explosive. Even if our defense plays GREAT, we're going to need to score 24 points or so to even be in the game -- IMO.

I say all of this because I'm not "trying to be pessimistic" -- I want you to see that I have actual REASONS for having the perspective I have -- which I don't think warrants ridicule or sarcasm -- but rather reasoned discussion and debate. JMO. Have a nice day.
    This is an outstanding post. Not to pil eon with the "pessimism" here but I would like to point out that the last time we played 'Bama they were breaking in a new offensive line as well and many believed our Dline would be able to win that matchup. It was an even fight at best until the end of the game when they wore us down and started to gash the Hokies in the running game. That Oline had a few freshman on it and they sure didn't play like it.

You sir, deserve the reward for Best Post of the Year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pride_and_Joy View Post

---

"In Bud We Trust."

Yea. Alabama attacked Jake Johnson's position like VT had 10 defenders, not 11
    Quote Originally Posted by GMSAHokie View Post
    This is an outstanding post. Not to pil eon with the "pessimism" here but I would like to point out that the last time we played 'Bama they were breaking in a new offensive line as well and many believed our Dline would be able to win that matchup. It was an even fight at best until the end of the game when they wore us down and started to gash the Hokies in the running game. That Oline had a few freshman on it and they sure didn't play like it.
    ---

"In Bud We Trust."

I'm surprised it isn't more with the news of all of our injuries

Quote Originally Posted by VTizzle View Post
    Yea. Alabama attacked Jake Johnson's position like VT had 10 defenders, not 11
    Haha- yep. Backer was a BIG problem that whole year.

Hmmm so let me get this straight, you see no way that VT can win the game in Atlanta? On paper yes and with the injuries the team has sustained. However, there are an infinite number of scenarios regarding the outcome of the game. For example, you are assuming that Bama shows up and plays
    their A game. Maybe yes, maybe no. You are assuming the football gods will smile favorably on Bama and not VT. Maybe yes, maybe no. You assume
    that VT's young and inexperienced players will not perform well. And so on and so on.

Bama comes out uninspired, Bama receivers tip three passes to the waiting arms of VT corners, a Bama fumble jumps right into the arms of a blitzing VT DE who runs the ball into the end zone. Young VT players play their hearts out. Anything can happen, that is why they still play the game instead of plugging in the numbers and running computer simulations.

Your realism goes so far left that me thinks it is pessimism.

Have a nice day.

Nah only on this web site, i have been to other VT web sites and they are significantly more positive. It is infectious over here and to some degree you have to look at the attitude displayed by the managers of this site.

Quote Originally Posted by Reston Hokie2 View Post
    Hmmm so let me get this straight, you see no way that VT can win the game in Atlanta? On paper yes and with the injuries the team has sustained. However, there are an infinite number of scenarios regarding the outcome of the game. For example, you are assuming that Bama shows up and plays
    their A game. Maybe yes, maybe no. You are assuming the football gods will smile favorably on Bama and not VT. Maybe yes, maybe no. You assume
    that VT's young and inexperienced players will not perform well. And so on and so on.

Bama comes out uninspired, Bama receivers tip three passes to the waiting arms of VT corners, a Bama fumble jumps right into the arms of a blitzing VT DE who runs the ball into the end zone. Young VT players play their hearts out. Anything can happen, that is why they still play the game instead of plugging in the numbers and running computer simulations.

Have a nice day.
    You are right. The Hokies can win this game. I think it's a long shot but like the guys say, "we have 85 players on scholarship too". Our guys are not out there preparing like they think they are going to lose and neither is the coaching staff. Lefty is a man on a mission, in fact.

If Chris and Will ask me to do preview articles agin this year, I will be picking Alabama and I will have a long list of reasons why, based on the matchups. On gameday, though? You won't be able to convince me the Hokies aren't goingto win that game. My guess is that it'll be the same way for "Pride_And_Joy".

That's fine. I think what I did was focus on the factors related to talent, experience, and depth -- the factors that are, to some extent, known.

The notion that we have a better chance of winning than I'm suggesting because freak plays could all go in our favor doesn't seem to be a compelling argument to me. Freak plays go also go against VT and the game could get out of hand early.

I'm not trying to predict or prognosticate with absolute certainty -- I'm simply laying out what I believe is the most likely scenario given the data at hand. I mean, we were a 19 point underdog BEFORE the rash of injuries, dismissals, suspensions, and guys quitting the team/football. There is a reason for that -- Bama has a better team! That doesn't make me a pessimist, IMO.

The most likely scenario, in my opinion, is that we lose by a fairly wide margin. If we take care of the football, play great defense, and Bama isn't hitting on all cylinders, the score might look more respectable. If VT plays their game of the decade (offense plays to its potential, defense plays really tough AND forces turnovers, and our special teams make game-changing plays), then certainly we have a chance to win.

But that is an awful lot of "ifs" strung together. Being a realist means you don't EXPECT all those "ifs" to line up just perfectly -- they could and they might -- but it isn't a reasonable expectation.

Quote Originally Posted by Reston Hokie2 View Post

Have a nice day.