Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29
  1. #21
    VTizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22, 2006
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    42,773
    I don't feel the same way as him, but I don't disagree with him. Two different things. I'm aware of the situation at hand but my assessments are not the same.

    Quote Originally Posted by vtdavis4321 View Post
    So, does that mean, "you are feeling it?"
    His premise or the jest of his post from my interpretation was.....we are going to have a tough season compared to our past seasons due to offensive woes and now adding injuries to the mix. I think it's a fair assessment that this is the jest of his post.

    Do you actually disagree with his assessment?
    ---

    "In Bud We Trust."

  2. #22

    Join Date
    June 05, 2002
    Posts
    2,760
    Quote Originally Posted by VTizzle View Post
    I don't feel the same way as him, but I don't disagree with him. Two different things. I'm aware of the situation at hand but my assessments are not the same.
    Tizz, we all want the same thing and I greatly respect your opinion...I just think the O situation is in dire straits given all that has gone down over the past several years. I think its unfair that the responsibility for winning always seems to fall on Bud and his fellas, and given RVD's departure, I am worried we'll be put in situations this year where the D simply won't be able to win these games by themselves...ST's are also no longer a threat either, so I am just putting 1+1+1 together and I am getting essentially 1 when I do the math. I am hopeful you simply are aware and have seen things I am not exposed to...and thus have a more valid opinion.

  3. #23

    Join Date
    October 31, 2004
    Location
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Posts
    1,873
    you need to check your facts on the O ranking the past 10 years. Not even close to 30. Much higher.
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtcr hokie View Post
    nothing on a message board is brilliant or for the most part even relevant, its just folks jawing about a subject. To answer your question our O will be better than last year, why? We have IMO better WR's, we have a more solid OL, we have a senior QB that is very good, our RB's have more experience now and we have Edmunds. For the we hae 22 players comment injuries happen to EVERY team EVERY fall practice session in the run up to the first game, its not unusual and it is expected by the coaches, thus they make adjustments along the way so just because we have some guys nicked up or out for the season does not mean we are doomed, not good for the particular guy but not the end of the world for the team. Yes we have talent, the guys we recruit are highly talented and are wanted by other teams, its not like we only get the players nobody else wants, so again, you have said for months that our recruiting sucks the last 4, 10 or whatever year you choose, so are the guys we got in that time period on O no talent hacks? Was Tyrod, Wilson, Evans, just to name a few? 2012 was bad, yep, tough confluence of events but no the O was not awful for the last 10 years, in fact ranked in the 30's during that time period at times which is darn good considering we have been a defense first type team since the 90's.

  4. #24

    Join Date
    October 31, 2004
    Location
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Posts
    1,873
    Let me clarify, we had a couple decent O teams over the past 10 years but the vast majority ranked from poor to horrid (in the 100's). So the average over 10 years is pretty bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by 949hokie View Post
    you need to check your facts on the O ranking the past 10 years. Not even close to 30. Much higher.

  5. #25
    VTizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22, 2006
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    42,773
    Oh I totally understand, and actually agree with you for the most part. I just like to be optimistic until the team actually touches the field. Also, whatever the outcome is vs Alabama will not really matter in my opinion because even the #2 team in the country could lose to them by 4 touchdowns. Our schedule is much easier than last year's w/o Clemson or Florida State.

    It looks bad now, but I've learned in college football that it's never as bad as it looks but it's also not as good as it seems. I'm leveling my expectations both ways. I don't expect to win the ACC but I don't think we'll have a losing record either.

    So, we'll see.

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Hokie View Post
    Tizz, we all want the same thing and I greatly respect your opinion...I just think the O situation is in dire straits given all that has gone down over the past several years. I think its unfair that the responsibility for winning always seems to fall on Bud and his fellas, and given RVD's departure, I am worried we'll be put in situations this year where the D simply won't be able to win these games by themselves...ST's are also no longer a threat either, so I am just putting 1+1+1 together and I am getting essentially 1 when I do the math. I am hopeful you simply are aware and have seen things I am not exposed to...and thus have a more valid opinion.
    ---

    "In Bud We Trust."

  6. #26

    Join Date
    August 23, 2001
    Posts
    60,626
    I know we had some rough years on the O, but we had enough O to still get 10 wins and get bowl games. But we are a defensive team, have been and will be so we may never have a highly ranked O. Our philosophy is to control the ball, not turn it over and score enough to win but lean on the D to create turnovers and limit the points from the opponents O. I have no problem with the coaching changes, lets see what they do, I do get bothered with the revisionist history these days tho. We had a very good run and one .500 year, not bad

    Quote Originally Posted by 949hokie View Post
    Let me clarify, we had a couple decent O teams over the past 10 years but the vast majority ranked from poor to horrid (in the 100's). So the average over 10 years is pretty bad.

  7. #27

    Join Date
    August 06, 2008
    Posts
    745
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtcr hokie View Post
    I know we had some rough years on the O, but we had enough O to still get 10 wins and get bowl games. But we are a defensive team, have been and will be so we may never have a highly ranked O. Our philosophy is to control the ball, not turn it over and score enough to win but lean on the D to create turnovers and limit the points from the opponents O. I have no problem with the coaching changes, lets see what they do, I do get bothered with the revisionist history these days tho. We had a very good run and one .500 year, not bad
    What revisionist history? Nobody is disputing the wins or the bowl games. They are stating that the offense has sucked out loud for the last decade, give or take a season or two when all the stars aligned with an all world RB, senior OL, and veteran QB.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtcr hokie View Post
    I know we had some rough years on the O, but we had enough O to still get 10 wins and get bowl games.
    More like we had enough D to still get 10 wins and bowl games despite the worst offense conceivable...

  9. #29

    Join Date
    October 31, 2004
    Location
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Posts
    1,873
    We won 10 games in spite of our very bad O and the fact Miami and other teams generally had a down decade in the ACC. A testimate to how far a very good defense can take you. I think most people feel that we missed a big opportunity to take the program to the next level and even win an NC if we just had an average to good offense most of the time. [
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtcr hokie View Post
    I know we had some rough years on the O, but we had enough O to still get 10 wins and get bowl games. But we are a defensive team, have been and will be so we may never have a highly ranked O. Our philosophy is to control the ball, not turn it over and score enough to win but lean on the D to create turnovers and limit the points from the opponents O. I have no problem with the coaching changes, lets see what they do, I do get bothered with the revisionist history these days tho. We had a very good run and one .500 year, not bad

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •