Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    Penn State, Ohio State, and Michigan have large alumni bases in the DC metro area. I expect those schools will help fill up Byrd Stadium. I can see Nebraska doing the same when they come every 12-14 (?) years. I don't expect any of the other Big 10 schools will be traveling well to College Park. If Maryland continues to struggle in football, their fans won't care what conference they play in. I doubt OSU and Michigan fans will want to travel in mass to College Park to watch their teams play a terrible Terps team 4 or 5 years down the road when the newness of Big 10 expansion wears off. Penn State fans will help fill Byrd Stadium like Tech fans did no matter how bad the Terps are. Maryland is a basketball school so their fans will focus more on Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State in the winter.

I think the best thing to come out of Maryland's move to the Big 10 will be the CIC. Maryland should bring in even more research dollars with their move to the Big 10.
    Who in the ACC travels to Maryland? VT?

Quote Originally Posted by Freddyburg Hokie View Post
    But it *did* prohibit them from joining the B1G's CIC, which coordinates massive amounts of research grants. The CIC is huge in the realm of academic research. Access to the CIC will be a big bennie for UMd.
    Here's an article from a few years back talking about such impact.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100609/NEWS01/706099919

There's no doubt that it will eventually be a win. At least on the academics side.
    "Knowledge is good"

--Emil Faber, 1904

Debbie Yow is the Hindenberg of athletic directors.

Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    I don't know if any of you here have seen these articles, but Maryland is one screwed up place. It will continue to be for at least the next decade.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...637_story.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...637_story.html

The ACC will be just fine with Louisville. Thank you Dr. Wallace Loh.

N. C. State is the next program she will run aground. She is terrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by mancunian View Post
    Debbie Yow is the Hindenberg of athletic directors.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4vt View Post
    They will get a HUGE bump in athletic interest IMO. I've never seen such a stale athletic department. This will, atleast in the near future, renew the energy of their students and fans. And the extra athletic money may actually make them competitive.

They will get a HUGE bump in athletic interest IMO. I've never seen such a stale athletic department. This will, atleast in the near future, renew the energy of their students and fans. And the extra athletic money may actually make them competitive.
    I think attendance will see a boost. Their division has 4 top 10 teams from last year in bball. Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, & Michigan State will all send fans to watch them play football. They'll be over the ACC in no time. It's not like their attendance could have really been worse.
    "Knowledge is good"

--Emil Faber, 1904

Who in the ACC travels to Tech?

Who??? in the ACC travels to Tech? UVa? Clemson and NCSU once every decade.

That's about it. FSU and Clemson are too far for most fans. The thing is, Big 10 fans fall somewhere between ACC and SEC fans. I would say based on my experience, they are much closer to the ACC than they are to the SEC. Are Big 10 fan bases willing to travel to College Park in huge numbers to help fill empty Byrd Stadium? MSU (585 miles/8.25 hrs.), Michigan (522 miles/7.5 hrs.), OSU (416 miles/6 hrs.), Wisconsin (843 miles/12.25 hrs.), Iowa (903 miles/12.25 hrs.), and Nebraska (1203 miles/17 hrs.). I say only if they (the visiting B1G team) are having a national championship-type season. I don't expect much to change with Maryland football and its apathetic fan base for the next decade. At least their research will improve.