Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1

    Join Date
    June 05, 2003
    Posts
    273

    For a Case Study on How to Screw Up and Athletics Department: I present Maryland

    I don't know if any of you here have seen these articles, but Maryland is one screwed up place. It will continue to be for at least the next decade.

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...637_story.html

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...637_story.html

    The ACC will be just fine with Louisville. Thank you Dr. Wallace Loh.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    January 01, 2005
    Posts
    371
    Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    I don't know if any of you here have seen these articles, but Maryland is one screwed up place. It will continue to be for at least the next decade.

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...637_story.html

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...637_story.html

    The ACC will be just fine with Louisville. Thank you Dr. Wallace Loh.
    O Maryland, how we shall miss thee. Good luck in the B1G. You're gonna need it.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 13, 2012
    Posts
    1,186
    I dont see how they get out of the hole. The plan is flawed. Ticket sales very poor....and in a major metropolitan area, a winner is essential. I cannot believe the horrible transition financial plan for the big 10, they were even poor negotiators knowing that the big 10 desperately wanted to encroach into the acc area. ALso, ACC is so smart by just holding back the maryland share of the acc revenues. Appears Maryland just dont have the money to pay.

    What a mis-managed program, probably the worse in college athletics. the only program as bad is Cal Berkeley and the AD at MD was the AD there. hmmmmm

  4. #4
    Old Line Hokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 05, 2001
    Location
    3659′36″N 7813′30″W
    Posts
    3,481
    Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    I don't know if any of you here have seen these articles, but Maryland is one screwed up place. It will continue to be for at least the next decade.

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...637_story.html

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...637_story.html

    The ACC will be just fine with Louisville. Thank you Dr. Wallace Loh.
    Losing Maryland to the Big 10 isn't a good thing. The ACC lost a huge land-grant university with a good academic reputation and a school located in the 7th largest metropolitan region of the country (I know UVa and Tech represent the DC area too but the ACC no longer has a school located in the DC-Baltimore area). I agree Maryland will be facing financial difficulties for at least another decade. I don't think their move was well thought out. The whole thing seemed "rushed" to me. Jim Delany found a buyer in Wallace Loh. UMCP was sold a bill of goods and are hoping all works out well in the future. It will take at least a decade for Terp fans to get used to being in the Big 10 and for their athletics department to hopefully get their act together. All I can say is "Good Luck!"

  5. #5

    Join Date
    December 22, 2002
    Posts
    4,351
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    Losing Maryland to the Big 10 isn't a good thing. The ACC lost a huge land-grant university with a good academic reputation and a school located in the 7th largest metropolitan region of the country (I know UVa and Tech represent the DC area too but the ACC no longer has a school located in the DC-Baltimore area). I agree Maryland will be facing financial difficulties for at least another decade. I don't think their move was well thought out. The whole thing seemed "rushed" to me. Jim Delany found a buyer in Wallace Loh. UMCP was sold a bill of goods and are hoping all works out well in the future. It will take at least a decade for Terp fans to get used to being in the Big 10 and for their athletics department to hopefully get their act together. All I can say is "Good Luck!"
    Get used to? I think it works then opposite way. Ticket sales will go down as fans "get used to" B1G schools coming to town. Do they even have a rival in the ACC now? UVA maybe? They will miss Duke and UNC ball for sure, but they will still have respectable programs coming through. And in fball, OSU, Michigan, Nebraska will sell more tickets than Clemson or FSU would.

  6. #6
    Loh and one other top official at Maryland are former Big 10 people. Delany found some easy marks at Maryland.

    As for Rutgers, any deal they got from the B10 beat what they had at the Little East Football Conference.

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    Losing Maryland to the Big 10 isn't a good thing. The ACC lost a huge land-grant university with a good academic reputation and a school located in the 7th largest metropolitan region of the country (I know UVa and Tech represent the DC area too but the ACC no longer has a school located in the DC-Baltimore area). I agree Maryland will be facing financial difficulties for at least another decade. I don't think their move was well thought out. The whole thing seemed "rushed" to me. Jim Delany found a buyer in Wallace Loh. UMCP was sold a bill of goods and are hoping all works out well in the future. It will take at least a decade for Terp fans to get used to being in the Big 10 and for their athletics department to hopefully get their act together. All I can say is "Good Luck!"

  7. #7

    Join Date
    January 05, 2001
    Posts
    15,119

    This move was still a coup for Maryland.

    Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    I don't know if any of you here have seen these articles, but Maryland is one screwed up place. It will continue to be for at least the next decade.

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...637_story.html

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...637_story.html

    The ACC will be just fine with Louisville. Thank you Dr. Wallace Loh.
    Maryland is in a conference full of massive research universities and research budgets, and that all have the same mission. A decade of lean years in athletics is insignificant compared to the potential gains in academics. Plus, they are no longer in a position where they have to listen to and actually care about what the ADs of schools like Wake Forest, Boston College, Duke, or BC say.

    I wish Maryland only failure and misery in their athletics, but they won this round.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    March 19, 2003
    Posts
    5,363
    Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    Maryland is in a conference full of massive research universities and research budgets, and that all have the same mission. A decade of lean years in athletics is insignificant compared to the potential gains in academics. Plus, they are no longer in a position where they have to listen to and actually care about what the ADs of schools like Wake Forest, Boston College, Duke, or BC say.

    I wish Maryland only failure and misery in their athletics, but they won this round.
    Being in the ACC never prohibited Maryland from partnering academically with any schools in the Big1x...just as I suspect many of Maryland's academic partnerships with ACC schools (including VT) will carry on. In other words, sports conference affiliation may make it easier to open some academic doors, but I think you are WAY overestimating that effect. I think this move was a shortsighted, big-time mistake.

  9. #9
    Old Line Hokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 05, 2001
    Location
    3659′36″N 7813′30″W
    Posts
    3,481
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4vt View Post
    Get used to? I think it works then opposite way. Ticket sales will go down as fans "get used to" B1G schools coming to town. Do they even have a rival in the ACC now? UVA maybe? They will miss Duke and UNC ball for sure, but they will still have respectable programs coming through. And in fball, OSU, Michigan, Nebraska will sell more tickets than Clemson or FSU would.
    Penn State, Ohio State, and Michigan have large alumni bases in the DC metro area. I expect those schools will help fill up Byrd Stadium. I can see Nebraska doing the same when they come every 12-14 (?) years. I don't expect any of the other Big 10 schools will be traveling well to College Park. If Maryland continues to struggle in football, their fans won't care what conference they play in. I doubt OSU and Michigan fans will want to travel in mass to College Park to watch their teams play a terrible Terps team 4 or 5 years down the road when the newness of Big 10 expansion wears off. Penn State fans will help fill Byrd Stadium like Tech fans did no matter how bad the Terps are. Maryland is a basketball school so their fans will focus more on Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State in the winter.

    I think the best thing to come out of Maryland's move to the Big 10 will be the CIC. Maryland should bring in even more research dollars with their move to the Big 10.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by VTBB View Post
    Being in the ACC never prohibited Maryland from partnering academically with any schools in the Big1x...just as I suspect many of Maryland's academic partnerships with ACC schools (including VT) will carry on. In other words, sports conference affiliation may make it easier to open some academic doors, but I think you are WAY overestimating that effect. I think this move was a shortsighted, big-time mistake.
    But it *did* prohibit them from joining the B1G's CIC, which coordinates massive amounts of research grants. The CIC is huge in the realm of academic research. Access to the CIC will be a big bennie for UMd.
    No trees were harmed in the making of this post. However, billions of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •