Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: VT to Big10

Quote Originally Posted by hokiefan86 View Post
    Exactly. Isn't the GOR in effect now too? Also, last I heard we weren't very high on the B1G list.
    After every other decent school on their southern border rejected them, we have probably moved up a tad. They've made it quite clear that they want to expand southward, but there aren't a ton of schools to chose from. It seems GT, UVA, and UNC turned them down and they probably don't want most of the SEC. One of the few schools they may actually want AND have a chance at getting is Vandy.

Quote Originally Posted by laphroaig View Post
    Payola for not jumping to the B12? Is that possible?
    Meanwhile, we "poppycocked" any chance we had at gaining leverage within the ACC. FSU has been granted pretty much everything imaginable lately. Notice where ND is playing first.

Before I reply to this post, let me explain where I come from. Went to Catholic grade school for 8 years with Irish nuns as teachers, went to Catholic hi school all 4 years. Was a huge ND football fan, ND even had a Sunday replay of their game and I was glued to the tube. So don't take this lightly when I say -

ND won't do any thing to save any body, any team, or any conference, any time. Maybe when pigs fly, but not one second sooner.
    I would agree with you that maybe in a normal setting ND would play the fiddle as Rome burned but the ACC is ND's last refuge in reality. The Big Ten is out and is not a possibility, the Big 12 we have NO history with and would be in a Texas centric conference(Can you imagine the ego's of TEXAS and ND in the same conference?), SEC nope, Pac 12 we would be on such an island that we would make WVU laugh at us. The Big East(Catholic 7) is not an option as Our AD put it so perfectly saying it would be great for Catholicism but lousy for everything else.We're a east Coast team stuck in the Mid-west so the ACC provides everything we need. So we do have a vested interest in the survival of the ACC.

But in reality none of this matters because unless the GoR has a loop hole in it than no one will be leaving. What school beside ND,UNC,Duke could afford to buy out the GoR and a 50 million exit fee?
    Last edited by goldendomer; Wed Aug 14 2013 at 12:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4vt View Post
    After every other decent school on their southern border rejected them, we have probably moved up a tad. They've made it quite clear that they want to expand southward, but there aren't a ton of schools to chose from. It seems GT, UVA, and UNC turned them down and they probably don't want most of the SEC. One of the few schools they may actually want AND have a chance at getting is Vandy.
    Yeah, I thought about that. Still don't see it happening. Sounds more like a play to the Clemson ego. Doesn't sound like they think our leaving would be a big loss. Probably too busy planning their ACC Championships.

Payola for not jumping to the B12? Is that possible?
    If it was ever going to happen, we just have no information what was going on exactly.
    I hope we did not fold the banners to let FSU and CU dictate politics just to save the ACC. I mean we are still holding the most ACC titles in the conference since the first expansion, hope that counts for something.
    Last edited by mainaman; Wed Aug 14 2013 at 12:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4vt View Post
    The B1G has supposedly suggested it would help w/ those fees if need be. When you're talking about an extra $10-$15 million/yr, the $50 million seems to be reasonable.
    Is that extra 10-15 million a year guaranteed money or just rosy projections?

He's getting it from Mhers just like "The Dude of WV". Demographically, I would hope VT and UVA will resist the temptation of the Big Ten. The country's population is moving away from them.

Quote Originally Posted by 133304Hokie View Post
    Is that extra 10-15 million a year guaranteed money or just rosy projections?
    Well they have a network that's paying major coin and the ACC is still contemplating whether or not they will even go that route. I would wager the $50 mill would be payed off before the ACC gets any network on the air at all. Additionally, the B1G's other contract pays more than anybody is suggesting the ACC's will.

Quote Originally Posted by goldendomer View Post
    I would agree with you that maybe in a normal setting ND would play the fiddle as Rome burned but the ACC is ND's last refuge in reality. The Big Ten is out and is not a possibility, the Big 12 we have NO history with and would be in a Texas centric conference(Can you imagine the ego's of TEXAS and ND in the same conference?), SEC nope, Pac 12 we would be on such an island that we would make WVU laugh at us. The Big East(Catholic 7) is not an option as Our AD put it so perfectly saying it would be great for Catholicism but lousy for everything else.We're a east Coast team stuck in the Mid-west so the ACC provides everything we need. So we do have a vested interest in the survival of the ACC.

But in reality none of this matters because unless the GoR has a loop hole in it than no one will be leaving. What school beside ND,UNC,Duke could afford to buy out the GoR and a 50 million exit fee?
    Um, Maryland? And if they don't pay, nobody else will either.

We would go to the SEC with NCSU. Exit fee and GOR is negotiable if the final arrangement benefits (especially financially) everyone. JMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by hokiefan86 View Post
    Exactly. Isn't the GOR in effect now too? Also, last I heard we weren't very high on the B1G list.