Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

I just can't agree with rationalizing the ACC's failure using Temple.

Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    I'm not concerned about losing Maryland. UVA has played Maryland in 175 basketball games and 75 football games. They are leaving, and I along with most of my UVA colleagues have no emotion about it. Goodbye. Our rivalries are with UNC-CH and VT. Maryland is competing for third. Some of the Northern Virginia fans might say differently, but most UVA fans would agree with me.

Rutgers offers nothing. They have not been relevant in college athletics in 50 years, and they aren't about to start being relevant even in the Big Ten.

Temple has not been good in football, but since Al Golden went there, and they have a new President, they are improved. They have been relevant in basketball for a long time. They eliminated NC State from the NCAA men's basketball tournament this past season. Rutgers was nowhere to be found. Nor was Maryland.
    Maryland is important because it's a prestigious research university in the capital area. The ACC made a strategic error by passing on Rutgers - another large, prestigious research university - in a state with a huge population. If the ACC had taken Rutgers and maybe Pitt along with VT and Miami in 2003, I think Maryland would still be around, and maybe PSU would be in the fold too. Who knows?

What I do know is that the Washington Post will spend a lot more space in the sports page on the Big Ten, while whatever newspaper is in Louisville will cover the ACC. Not a good trade imo.

Please don't try to sell me on Temple though. It makes me ill. This is a school that even the Big East didn't want. And I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Maryland-Duke would draw more viewers than Temple-Duke, regardless of recent success. Maryland has an NCAA tourney title that I can still remember pretty clearly.

Let's get Texas and a few others and move on. If we move for Temple the SEC is going to make a lot more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    Maryland is important because it's a prestigious research university in the capital area. The ACC made a strategic error by passing on Rutgers - another large, prestigious research university - in a state with a huge population. If the ACC had taken Rutgers and maybe Pitt along with VT and Miami in 2003, I think Maryland would still be around, and maybe PSU would be in the fold too. Who knows?

What I do know is that the Washington Post will spend a lot more space in the sports page on the Big Ten, while whatever newspaper is in Louisville will cover the ACC. Not a good trade imo.

Please don't try to sell me on Temple though. It makes me ill. This is a school that even the Big East didn't want. And I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Maryland-Duke would draw more viewers than Temple-Duke, regardless of recent success. Maryland has an NCAA tourney title that I can still remember pretty clearly.

Let's get Texas and a few others and move on. If we move for Temple the SEC is going to make a lot more sense.
    I think Maryland president Wallace Loh was leaving the ACC for his beloved Big 10 no matter if Pitt and/or Rutgers joined 10 years ago. Loh wanted the Big 10's CIC and UMCP's athletics department financial mess made the Big 10's BTN sound much better than what the ACC had to offer at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    If OU and tu go to the ACC, why would the other conferences bother going to 20? I've asked this question on this board before and have yet to get an adequate answer. If the ACC takes the two gems of the B12 and get ND, what teams would PAC/B1G/&SEC take to get to 20. I just don't think it will happen this way, but I'm open to your supposition.
    I have the same the question.

This is who each conference would likely seek:
    ACC: Texas, TX Tech, Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, KSU, UConn, Cincinnati. Navy, USF, Tulane, and maybe Memphis, Temple, WVU, and/or Army IF 20 is the "magic" number.

Big 10: Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, and maybe UConn and Iowa State. They would also take Vandy and Mizzou IF they wanted to leave the SEC, which I seriously doubt they would. Maybe KSU in a deal to get KU which is still unlikely.

Big 12: Cincinnati, USF, UCF, UConn, AFA, New Mexico, Boise State, BYU, Fresno State, UNLV, SDSU, Tulane, Memphis, Houston, and Colorado State. Maybe Army, Navy, Southern Miss., and Temple. Will the Big 12 even be around in 10 years?

Pac 12: Texas, TX Tech, Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, KSU, UNLV, Hawaii, New Mexico, and possibly SDSU (Do they really need a 5th California school?), Boise State (academics??) and BYU (doesn't play sports on Sundays).

SEC: Oklahoma, Kansas, and possibly Oklahoma State and Kansas State. Maybe WVU and another Texas school if 20 is the final number?

IMHO, the Big 10 and SEC are very selective in whom they pick. The ACC and Big 12 are willing to take AAC and MWC members. As for the Pac 12, I can't see them going past 16 (because of regional quality) unless they get 4 or 8 Big 12 schools to join. I could realistically see the ACC adding UConn, Cincinnati, Navy, Temple,and Tulane along with Notre Dame if 20 is the final number. That would make so many ACC fans happy. That's why I believe 20 will not be the final number for most of the power 4 or 5 conferences. The ACC, maybe?

Some "expert" please explain to me why 20 will be the final number and how it will come about?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    Some "expert" please explain to me why 20 will be the final number and how it will come about?

I'm no expert but 20 gets you to,four divisions which cuts down on travel, brings back regional rivalries to some degree, more flexible scheduling, larger footprint, more households more content for digital distribution, a semi final game, and possible partial members being eligible for football championship.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD