Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 84
  1. #21

    Join Date
    December 28, 1999
    Posts
    7,959
    IF the ACC goes to 20, I believe it should get the best from the B12, not leftovers from the east.

    Quality matters. But if the ACC is going to 20 that likely means other conferences are increasing as well and the below adds would be a dream:

    Texas
    Texas Tech or Baylor
    Oklahoma
    Oklahoma State
    Kansas

    FSU
    Miami
    Clemson
    GT
    Wake

    NCSU
    UNC
    Duke
    VT
    UVA

    ND
    BC
    Pitt
    Syracuse
    Louisville
    Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    If the ACC decides to go to 20 teams, which has not been decided, I still thing we need to wrap up the East. I agree with the discussion about moves into Texas and adding Tulane, etc. Oklahoma is good too.

    What I want is for the ACC to make sure that they get the distribution of the ACC Channel or network. Smarter people than me are working on it.

    Here is an interesting announcement to ponder. The ACC will now be televising 101 Olympic Sports games on ESPN and RSN outlets this fall. Here is the link:

    http://www.theacc.com/#!/news-detail...8-08-13_48z3eu

    The ACC will have coverage everywhere on the East Coast except in Connecticut and the Mid-Atlantic/Philly. I just noticed Fox Sports Indiana has signed up. That's strange to me, but it's motivated by Notre Dame Basketball. The important paragraph in this is the following:

    "An additional 15 games will be broadcast on the league’s regional sports networks (RSN), which include FOX Sports Carolinas, FOX Sports South, FOX Sports Florida, FOX Sports Indiana, Sun Sports, Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic, NESN, YES, ROOT SPORTS, and MSG."

    The ACC is missing 2 major Regional Sports Nets on the East Coast that have not decided to carry the Raycom package. 1) SNY (the network of the NY Mets, Rangers, and Jets), 2) Comcast Sports Net Philadelphia. We have coverage on all the NY Yankees stuff.

    UConn will deliver SNY. Take a look. http://web.sny.tv/uconnhuskies/ Believe it or not, but that Women's Basketball Team has fans.

    Comcast Sports Net Philadelphia can be delivered with either Penn State or Temple. Keep this in mind when discussing an ACC Channel. The ACC Network will experience distribution issues similar to what Raycom is experiencing in different markets in the east.

    The Big Ten Conference has messed with the ACC in the Mid-Atlantic. We'll still get on Comcast Sports Net Mid-Atlantic because it covers Washington Redskins, and UVA and VT will get coverage on it. The question is whether we want Philadelphia. I have read that even though NY and Philly are not college sports towns, NY is #1 college football market in size and Philly is #7. Washington/Baltimore is not in the top ten.

    I love all the talk about Texas, but the ACC cannot ignore this issue in the east if it plans to continue with the strategy it was pursuing despite Dr. Gordon Gee's blocking strategy. We can beat the Big Ten.

  2. #22

    Join Date
    December 28, 1999
    Posts
    7,959
    VT always tries to get one major OOC opponent. I see nothing new here from the VT side.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    Wisconsin pushed back, but another big one coming. You guys still doubting me on where college football is going?

    Not trying to boast here...just trying to tell you with 83, Cobb, Hoo86 etc. you guys are getting stuff before it happens and why it happens more than any other board out there.

    Thank Will and Chris and TSL for running a good enough board that some in the know like to hang out here.

  3. #23

    Join Date
    January 05, 2001
    Posts
    22,160
    Only five conference games and qualify for conference championship? I don't think the rest of the conference would allow that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    The TSL boards (not just me) have been nailing conference expansion for 10 years.

    ND will like this new format, they will most likely be in a division of 5 mainly if not all from the Notheast. If they win it they will be in it (playoff). That also leaves plenty of room for OOC games since they only have to play 4 division games and 1 cross over.

    They will get a better TV contract than what they have and draw students and alums from their hot bed the northeast.

  4. #24

    Join Date
    October 14, 2003
    Posts
    10,282
    Well answer this then: Let's say Texas and Oklahoma decide to go to the B1G. Tell me then, how do the ACC, PAC12, and even SEC get to 20-plus without watering down their product (academically or athletically) in a way that the current members find acceptable?

    What? The ACC has been passing over West Virginia? Well, they'll have them now.

    I'm not saying that 3 megas over 4 or 5 is going to happen. I'm just saying it would be better.

    Quote Originally Posted by anchorsteam88 View Post
    Um, no...ACC is going nowhere but inclusive
    Last edited by Maroon Baboon; Sat Aug 10 2013 at 11:14 AM.

  5. #25
    BUGGZY's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 15, 2002
    Location
    Annandale, VA
    Posts
    13,709
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    If conferences go mega (20 plus teams), I could see 3 rather than 4 major conferences with the ACC and B12 both getting dissolved. Ideally, most if not all of the B12 would join the Pac12. And the SEC and B1G would split the desirable teams from the ACC. For the tourney: 3 conference champs, one at-large. ND can stay independent.

    I'm just not as bullish on the ACC as many on this board. I don't put them on equal footing as the three major conferences. Most people know it even if they don't want to admit it. That's why there is so much handwringing about ND and Texas.
    there could be some truth in this. the problem is, as conferences get larger, i think there is less and less loyalty at all of them.

    i used to say no one would leave the SEC, but i have a feeling Mizzou still has an eye to the north and the CIC.

    i used to think no original member of the ACC would leave, but umd proved me wrong.

    The B1G, because of the CIC, and the Pac12, because of geography, seem to be the 2 MOST stable conferences, followed by the SEC (losing Mizzou wouldn't hurt them), the ACC (geography and TV sets), and the Big12 (GOR and 2 of the biggest brands in college football holding the league together....for now).

    i think 4 major conferences and 2 pseudo majors survive for a total of 6 leagues (ACC, B1G, Pac12, SEC, AAC, and MWC), they won't necessarily have the same number of schools, but all will host a championship game, and all 6 leagues will remain in the same competitive division whatever that is. all 6 leagues will have the same access to the post season whether it is a 4 team playoff with a committee or an 8 team playoff with 6 auto-bids.

    that is my non-insider view of things based on years of following the various insiders on message boards, twitter, etc.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

  6. #26

    Join Date
    October 14, 2003
    Posts
    10,282
    You are on to something that no one else seems capable of answering here. In order for 4 conferences to get to 20, there are going to have to be some serious compromises. I just don't see that happening. The PAC12, SEC, B1G, and ACC are going to have to take on quite a few programs that they aren't interested in at present, in order to get to 20-plus.

    Why in the world would the SEC want to take on more programs that will prevent many rivalries from being played. Even though A&M was a nice addition, many are complaining now about the loss of traditional rivalries that everyone in the South wants played. Now, just add, say, ECU, Kansas State, Old Dominion, Oklahoma State, Marshall, and New Mexico to the mix.
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4vt View Post
    You REALLY think UT and Okl would come w/out anyother teams within 1000 miles? And as somebody else pointed out, Okl st will not be left behind by the Sooners. The only way that happens is if Okl St. is picked up by the SEC, which may struggle looking for additional members to get to 20.

  7. #27
    BUGGZY's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 15, 2002
    Location
    Annandale, VA
    Posts
    13,709
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    You are on to something that no one else seems capable of answering here. In order for 4 conferences to get to 20, there are going to have to be some serious compromises. I just don't see that happening. The PAC12, SEC, B1G, and ACC are going to have to take on quite a few programs that they aren't interested in at present, in order to get to 20-plus.

    Why in the world would the SEC want to take on more programs that will prevent many rivalries from being played. Even though A&M was a nice addition, many are complaining now about the loss of traditional rivalries that everyone in the South wants played. Now, just add, say, ECU, Kansas State, Old Dominion, Oklahoma State, Marshall, and New Mexico to the mix.
    if the SEC could expand in a way that worked well for them (big state schools with big football history), it may actually be better for them than staying at 14. if 4 divisions and conference semi-finals are the future, that may allow the SEC to preserve/restore more annual rivalries.

    that said, i agree that i don't see everyone making all the compromises necessary to absorb everyone, so i think the AAC and MWC will survive as #5 and #6 behind the top 4 in whatever the top division of college sports is.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

  8. #28

    Join Date
    September 03, 2002
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    1,989
    Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    if the SEC could expand in a way that worked well for them (big state schools with big football history), it may actually be better for them than staying at 14. if 4 divisions and conference semi-finals are the future, that may allow the SEC to preserve/restore more annual rivalries.

    that said, i agree that i don't see everyone making all the compromises necessary to absorb everyone, so i think the AAC and MWC will survive as #5 and #6 behind the top 4 in whatever the top division of college sports is.
    I guess the question there is whether the AAC and MWC would be able to afford the pay for players that the rest are clearly going to.

  9. #29

    Join Date
    October 14, 2003
    Posts
    10,282
    I agree about the two current non-AQs surviving. I also appreciate your insight and your admission that you don't have inside info and are just putting 2 and 2 together. I try to do the same thing. While some on this board claim to have inside information (and I don't doubt that), the information is likely one-sided or incomplete.

    Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    there could be some truth in this. the problem is, as conferences get larger, i think there is less and less loyalty at all of them.

    i used to say no one would leave the SEC, but i have a feeling Mizzou still has an eye to the north and the CIC.

    i used to think no original member of the ACC would leave, but umd proved me wrong.

    The B1G, because of the CIC, and the Pac12, because of geography, seem to be the 2 MOST stable conferences, followed by the SEC (losing Mizzou wouldn't hurt them), the ACC (geography and TV sets), and the Big12 (GOR and 2 of the biggest brands in college football holding the league together....for now).

    i think 4 major conferences and 2 pseudo majors survive for a total of 6 leagues (ACC, B1G, Pac12, SEC, AAC, and MWC), they won't necessarily have the same number of schools, but all will host a championship game, and all 6 leagues will remain in the same competitive division whatever that is. all 6 leagues will have the same access to the post season whether it is a 4 team playoff with a committee or an 8 team playoff with 6 auto-bids.

    that is my non-insider view of things based on years of following the various insiders on message boards, twitter, etc.

  10. #30

    Join Date
    September 08, 2002
    Posts
    3,282

    Stech, you and others have been close to this for a while, why not WVU in the list?

    Stech, you and others have been close to this for a while, why not WVU in the list to the ACC?

    WVU brings in rivalries with Pitt, VT, Miami, BC, Syracuse, and Louisville. Clemson probably hates the mountaineers big time as well (after the bowl plastering) and would probably be another potential rival for WVU.

    Don't get me wrong, Texas and Oklahoma look great (lots of money, get them first) ... but this is West Virginia ... a rival ... one of OUR rivals!

    I would hate to see WVU in the SEC or B1G when they could have been added to the ACC.

    While we are at it, if a Texas joins along with Notre Dame, what is to prevent the ACC (with even more TV money) from raiding the SEC (which has no GOR)?

    I am wondering how the Big 12 GOR or any GOR could be dissolved though.

    Just my two cents.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    ACC and the other Big 4 will go to 20 IMHO.

    ND will be one of the teams to ACC football...when it is the only way they can get to the top tier National Football Championship. It will evenutally be the only way.

    I see Texas and Oklahoma to the ACC...GOR's in the Big 12 will fall apart with enough teams getting invitations to one of the more stable Big 4.

    Other possible teams: Navy, Army, Tulane, UConn, Texas Tech, Cincy...maybe more if Navy and Army don't want to come. I do think we get to 20 to get enough politicians to support it.

    What did I miss?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •