Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 84
  1. #11

    Join Date
    December 22, 2002
    Posts
    4,351
    Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    If the ACC decides to go to 20 teams, which has not been decided, I still thing we need to wrap up the East. I agree with the discussion about moves into Texas and adding Tulane, etc. Oklahoma is good too.

    What I want is for the ACC to make sure that they get the distribution of the ACC Channel or network. Smarter people than me are working on it.

    Here is an interesting announcement to ponder. The ACC will now be televising 101 Olympic Sports games on ESPN and RSN outlets this fall. Here is the link:

    http://www.theacc.com/#!/news-detail...8-08-13_48z3eu

    The ACC will have coverage everywhere on the East Coast except in Connecticut and the Mid-Atlantic/Philly. I just noticed Fox Sports Indiana has signed up. That's strange to me, but it's motivated by Notre Dame Basketball. The important paragraph in this is the following:

    "An additional 15 games will be broadcast on the league’s regional sports networks (RSN), which include FOX Sports Carolinas, FOX Sports South, FOX Sports Florida, FOX Sports Indiana, Sun Sports, Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic, NESN, YES, ROOT SPORTS, and MSG."

    The ACC is missing 2 major Regional Sports Nets on the East Coast that have not decided to carry the Raycom package. 1) SNY (the network of the NY Mets, Rangers, and Jets), 2) Comcast Sports Net Philadelphia. We have coverage on all the NY Yankees stuff.

    UConn will deliver SNY. Comcast Sports Net Philadelphia can be delivered with either Penn State or Temple. Keep this in mind when discussing an ACC Channel. The ACC Network will experience distribution issues similar to what Raycom is experiencing in different markets in the east.

    The Big Ten Conference has messed with the ACC in the Mid-Atlantic. We'll still get on Comcast Sports Net Mid-Atlantic because it covers Washington Redskins, and UVA and VT will get coverage on it. The question is whether we want Philadelphia. I have read that even though NY and Philly are not college sports towns, NY is #1 college football market in size and Philly is #7. Washington/Baltimore is not in the top ten.

    I love all the talk about Texas, but the ACC cannot ignore this issue in the east if it plans to continue with the strategy it was pursuing despite Dr. Gordon Gee's blocking strategy. We can beat the Big Ten.
    IMO, it was a pretty big blow losing MD and Rutgers. With those two, ND, UConn, Temple, WVU, and Penn ST we would have a VERY strong league that would dominate the most heavily populated parts of the country. The B1G got one over on Swofford and the boys, that's for sure.

    ACC North:
    ND, BC, Cuse, Uconn, Louisville
    ACC MA:
    MD, PSU, Rutgers, Pitt, WVU
    ACC.MA:
    VT, UVA, UNC, Duke, NC ST.
    ACC South:
    Wake, Clemson, GT, Miami, FSu

    THAT league would own college sports from Boston to Miami.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    December 22, 2002
    Posts
    4,351
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4vt View Post
    IMO, it was a pretty big blow losing MD and Rutgers. With those two, ND, UConn, Temple, WVU, and Penn ST we would have a VERY strong league that would dominate the most heavily populated parts of the country. The B1G got one over on Swofford and the boys, that's for sure.

    ACC North:
    ND, BC, Cuse, Uconn, Louisville
    ACC MA:
    MD, PSU, Rutgers, Pitt, WVU
    ACC.MA:
    VT, UVA, UNC, Duke, NC ST.
    ACC South:
    Wake, Clemson, GT, Miami, FSu

    THAT league would own college sports from Boston to Miami.
    And oh, had the ACC went with Rutgers initially, instead of BC, I think this would be a true reality. We left a hole wide open in our footprint and the B1G took advantage. I think it would be quite appealing to PSU to have had such nearby rivals as Pitt, Rutgers, and Md. And they wouldn't have balked at the eventual addition of ND and other northern playmates.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    June 05, 2003
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4vt View Post
    IMO, it was a pretty big blow losing MD and Rutgers. With those two, ND, UConn, Temple, WVU, and Penn ST we would have a VERY strong league that would dominate the most heavily populated parts of the country. The B1G got one over on Swofford and the boys, that's for sure.

    ACC North:
    ND, BC, Cuse, Uconn, Louisville
    ACC MA:
    MD, PSU, Rutgers, Pitt, WVU
    ACC.MA:
    VT, UVA, UNC, Duke, NC ST.
    ACC South:
    Wake, Clemson, GT, Miami, FSu

    THAT league would own college sports from Boston to Miami.
    Take a look at the Comcast Sports Net Philly website. They talk about 2 teams. Penn State, Villanova, and Temple. The ACC can regain much of what it lost with Maryland by adding either Penn State or Temple. Villanove will not be playing football.

    http://www.csnphilly.com/ncaa/

    Temple is more of a basketball school. To me, that's OK. The ACC plays basketball. Most of the moves by the ACC in the last decade have all been about football. It has contributed to saving the league. Maybe the basket ball side of the league can make a contribution to get us on the air in Philadelphia. We are a diverse conference. And if we get Texas and Notre Dame football in the process. More the better.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    December 22, 2002
    Posts
    4,351
    Quote Originally Posted by goldendomer View Post
    So were talking 10 years out?
    I still don't see a compelling enough reason for us to join in full yet.
    IF we join the ACC then hell all bets are off. We will try to attract the best of the best .
    Seriously though I have heard nothing about this except from this very board. So if you're right that is quite amazing. I just don't see it
    The move to mega conferences has been predicted for years, and it's pretty much unfolding as we speak. Additionally, the move to another division, one in which athletes will be paid, is being publicly discussed right now. And when that happens, ND will have to convince these other programs they deserve preferential treatment. And now that everybody knows the Irish will not be joining their conference EVER, they will be forced to join the ACC. Frankly, they just don't carry the weight they did when the BCS was first organized. As I posted earlier, what makes you think anybody in Columbus, Tallahassee, Eugene, Blacksburg, Norman, or Tuscaloosa thinks it's good for them for ND to receive such special accomadations?

  5. #15
    Senior Member anchorsteam88's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 22, 2012
    Location
    RVA
    Posts
    271
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    If conferences go mega (20 plus teams), I could see 3 rather than 4 major conferences with the ACC and B12 both getting dissolved. Ideally, most if not all of the B12 would join the Pac12. And the SEC and B1G would split the desirable teams from the ACC. For the tourney: 3 conference champs, one at-large. ND can stay independent.

    I'm just not as bullish on the ACC as many on this board. I don't put them on equal footing as the three major conferences. Most people know it even if they don't want to admit it. That's why there is so much handwringing about ND and Texas.
    Um, no...ACC is going nowhere but inclusive
    “You better take care of me Lord, if you don't you're gonna have me on your hands."

  6. #16

    Join Date
    June 05, 2003
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4vt View Post
    And oh, had the ACC went with Rutgers initially, instead of BC, I think this would be a true reality. We left a hole wide open in our footprint and the B1G took advantage. I think it would be quite appealing to PSU to have had such nearby rivals as Pitt, Rutgers, and Md. And they wouldn't have balked at the eventual addition of ND and other northern playmates.
    I'm not concerned about losing Maryland. UVA has played Maryland in 175 basketball games and 75 football games. They are leaving, and I along with most of my UVA colleagues have no emotion about it. Goodbye. Our rivalries are with UNC-CH and VT. Maryland is competing for third. Some of the Northern Virginia fans might say differently, but most UVA fans would agree with me.

    Rutgers offers nothing. They have not been relevant in college athletics in 50 years, and they aren't about to start being relevant even in the Big Ten.

    Temple has not been good in football, but since Al Golden went there, and they have a new President, they are improved. They have been relevant in basketball for a long time. They eliminated NC State from the NCAA men's basketball tournament this past season. Rutgers was nowhere to be found. Nor was Maryland.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    February 16, 2001
    Posts
    14,845
    The TSL boards (not just me) have been nailing conference expansion for 10 years.

    ND will like this new format, they will most likely be in a division of 5 mainly if not all from the Notheast. If they win it they will be in it (playoff). That also leaves plenty of room for OOC games since they only have to play 4 division games and 1 cross over.

    They will get a better TV contract than what they have and draw students and alums from their hot bed the northeast.

    Quote Originally Posted by goldendomer View Post
    So were talking 10 years out?
    I still don't see a compelling enough reason for us to join in full yet.
    IF we join the ACC then hell all bets are off. We will try to attract the best of the best .
    Seriously though I have heard nothing about this except from this very board. So if you're right that is quite amazing. I just don't see it

  8. #18

    Join Date
    December 24, 1999
    Posts
    1,155
    Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    The TSL boards (not just me) have been nailing conference expansion for 10 years.

    ND will like this new format, they will most likely be in a division of 5 mainly if not all from the Notheast. If they win it they will be in it (playoff). That also leaves plenty of room for OOC games since they only have to play 4 division games and 1 cross over.

    They will get a better TV contract than what they have and draw students and alums from their hot bed the northeast.
    I assume this would mean ND could join for football without adding any ACC games to their schedule. Everyone else could play their division plus one of the other divisions to get to nine games.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

  9. #19

    Join Date
    December 24, 1999
    Posts
    1,155
    Quote Originally Posted by goldendomer View Post
    So were talking 10 years out?
    I still don't see a compelling enough reason for us to join in full yet.
    IF we join the ACC then hell all bets are off. We will try to attract the best of the best .
    Seriously though I have heard nothing about this except from this very board. So if you're right that is quite amazing. I just don't see it
    10 years can go by pretty quick. In some ways this all started 10 years ago with VT, UM,BC.

    The compelling reason to change will be the path to a championship. Even if ND gets an exception if they are in say the top 5 nationally, wouldn't you rather win a five team division and have a shot? No one outside ND really gets the importance of independence. The rest of us have a lot more to play for and more reasons to watch other games. I think you would love being in a conference, especially if it only took 5 games to do so.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

  10. #20

    Join Date
    October 07, 1999
    Posts
    1,913
    Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post

    Here is an interesting announcement to ponder. The ACC will now be televising 101 Olympic Sports games on ESPN and RSN outlets this fall. Here is the link:

    http://www.theacc.com/#!/news-detail...8-08-13_48z3eu

    The ACC will have coverage everywhere on the East Coast except in Connecticut and the Mid-Atlantic/Philly. I just noticed Fox Sports Indiana has signed up. That's strange to me, but it's motivated by Notre Dame Basketball. The important paragraph in this is the following:

    "An additional 15 games will be broadcast on the league’s regional sports networks (RSN), which include FOX Sports Carolinas, FOX Sports South, FOX Sports Florida, FOX Sports Indiana, Sun Sports, Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic, NESN, YES, ROOT SPORTS, and MSG."

    The ACC is missing 2 major Regional Sports Nets on the East Coast that have not decided to carry the Raycom package. 1) SNY (the network of the NY Mets, Rangers, and Jets), 2) Comcast Sports Net Philadelphia. We have coverage on all the NY Yankees stuff.

    UConn will deliver SNY. Take a look. http://web.sny.tv/uconnhuskies/ Believe it or not, but that Women's Basketball Team has fans.

    Comcast Sports Net Philadelphia can be delivered with either Penn State or Temple. Keep this in mind when discussing an ACC Channel. The ACC Network will experience distribution issues similar to what Raycom is experiencing in different markets in the east.

    The Big Ten Conference has messed with the ACC in the Mid-Atlantic. We'll still get on Comcast Sports Net Mid-Atlantic because it covers Washington Redskins, and UVA and VT will get coverage on it. The question is whether we want Philadelphia. I have read that even though NY and Philly are not college sports towns, NY is #1 college football market in size and Philly is #7. Washington/Baltimore is not in the top ten.
    We really aren't "missing" those markets. ESPN provides the ACC with a national platform. 101 of 116 games will be offered in all markets across the country. I don't see fretting about a couple of marginal regional channels that at best are going to show 1 or 2 games. These discussions always lose me at Temple and Tulane. Fine schools but perpetually dismal in delivering any of their own backyard market.

    The ever burgeoning mobile market will make anywhere you are internet based platforms more important further marginalizing these small regional channels.

    More importantly is the whole Time Warner-CBS cable feud out in California that will pave the way to ala carte programming. This move will mean you have to really deliver the market not just be present in it and passively provide income for B1G network. Oops, Rutgers wasn't such a good choice . Ultimately if you can't consistently put butts in the seat at events , nobody is tuning in and watching at home either, i.e., the "no value" comments regarding further conference expansion with a lot of the 2nd tier teams.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •