Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ARMY and NAVY

ARMY and NAVY

Could these two be under a future ACC NETWORK umbrella?. Sure they would not make the same amount of money. They also wouldn't compete in ACC? Still wouldn't their games be watched?. Plus help fill up programming? Also it would be a good association for ACC to have? What both would get is exposure. Plus I am sure games scheduled against other ACC teams.
    Last edited by MrFantastic!; Fri Aug 09 2013 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFantastic! View Post
    Could these two be under a future ACC NETWORK umbrella?. Sure they would not make the same amount of money. They also wouldn't compete in ACC? Still wouldn't their games be watched?. Plus help fill up programming? Also it would be a good association for ACC to have? What both would get is exposure. Plus I am sure games scheduled against other ACC teams.
    the only non-ACC content i could ever see being purchased for the ACC Network would be ND and BC Hockey East Ice Hockey games. At least there is an ACC relationship there with the member schools. when you start adding non-ACC content to an ACC Network, it hurts the brand IMO.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

Agree to a point but......

Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    the only non-ACC content i could ever see being purchased for the ACC Network would be ND and BC Hockey East Ice Hockey games. At least there is an ACC relationship there with the member schools. when you start adding non-ACC content to an ACC Network, it hurts the brand IMO.
    being involved with our armed forces is a plus to me.! Alot of their games could be replayed in summertime. When IMHO programming will be needed.

I agree with Buggzy. Unless Army and Navy are affiliated with the ACC (i.e. football-only members, lacrosse-only members, etc.), then I don't see the ACC including them in the network. If the Big 5 (plus AAU) end up in their own division, then I could see both schools ending up in either the AAU or ACC as football-only members. I do not believe Congress and the DoD will allow Air Force, Army, and Navy to be excluded from the top division/subdivision of college football. It is too much of an advertising tool for them.

Interesting points for sure..

Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    I agree with Buggzy. Unless Army and Navy are affiliated with the ACC (i.e. football-only members, lacrosse-only members, etc.), then I don't see the ACC including them in the network. If the Big 5 (plus AAU) end up in their own division, then I could see both schools ending up in either the AAU or ACC as football-only members. I do not believe Congress and the DoD will allow Air Force, Army, and Navy to be excluded from the top division/subdivision of college football. It is too much of an advertising tool for them.
    actually I have no real answer. Just put those two school's out there. But I did like how you said the word advertising for those two school's. Makes you think!

actually I have no real answer. Just put those two school's out there. But I did like how you said the word advertising for those two school's. Makes you think!
    here is a crazy and random thought. ACC goes to 24 schools in all sports by adding:

ND (15)
    UConn (16)
    Army (17)
    Navy (18)
    Texas (19)
    Texas Tech (20)
    Baylor (21)
    Oklahoma (22)
    Ok St (23)
    let Cincy and WVU fight over #24...a 10 sport playoff for the final roster spot! LOL

anyway, once at 24, the league splits into 2 12 team divisions (doesn't have to be the same for every sport). a top tier and a lower tier, with promotion/relegation annually between the 2 (maybe top 3 and bottom 3 swap to mix things up more). This allows Army and Navy to compete for a spot in the top football tier while not worrying about their bball teams getting thumped by dook, UNC, 'Cuse, etc every year.

only 8 games would be played in your 12 team division for football, so if you wanted to protect a rivalry with a promoted or relegated school, you would still have room to do so, but it wouldn't count in the conference standings.

competitively, the 2 12 schools splits would operate as 2 different leagues in the top division of the NCAA, but financially, it would be a 24 school league. so there would be 2 conference champions, ACC-Premier and ACC-Championship (playing off top 2 FA divisions in England). maybe for non-rev sports, it's simply a 24 team league, but for football, MBB and WBB (at a minimum), it would be 2x12 team leagues.

just a random thought, and i'm sure there are a lot of issues that would need to be worked out, but i thought i would throw it out there for fun. thinking "outside the box" if you will...
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

The window to get Army and Navy is now smaller. The best time to do that would have been when we were at 12. Bring them in with ND and one more (say, Syracuse). ND could play seven conference games including BC, Navy, and Army. But now, I think it's too late.
    here is a crazy and random thought. ACC goes to 24 schools in all sports by adding:

ND (15)
    UConn (16)
    Army (17)
    Navy (18)
    Texas (19)
    Texas Tech (20)
    Baylor (21)
    Oklahoma (22)
    Ok St (23)
    let Cincy and WVU fight over #24...a 10 sport playoff for the final roster spot! LOL

anyway, once at 24, the league splits into 2 12 team divisions (doesn't have to be the same for every sport). a top tier and a lower tier, with promotion/relegation annually between the 2 (maybe top 3 and bottom 3 swap to mix things up more). This allows Army and Navy to compete for a spot in the top football tier while not worrying about their bball teams getting thumped by dook, UNC, 'Cuse, etc every year.

only 8 games would be played in your 12 team division for football, so if you wanted to protect a rivalry with a promoted or relegated school, you would still have room to do so, but it wouldn't count in the conference standings.

competitively, the 2 12 schools splits would operate as 2 different leagues in the top division of the NCAA, but financially, it would be a 24 school league. so there would be 2 conference champions, ACC-Premier and ACC-Championship (playing off top 2 FA divisions in England). maybe for non-rev sports, it's simply a 24 team league, but for football, MBB and WBB (at a minimum), it would be 2x12 team leagues.

just a random thought, and i'm sure there are a lot of issues that would need to be worked out, but i thought i would throw it out there for fun. thinking "outside the box" if you will...

Couple of TV rights issues to overcome with Navy

CBS owns the rights to Navy home games through 2017 even though Navy joins the American Athletic for football-only in 2015. I'm not certain what happens to Navy's rights after the CBS deal expires, but I assume they would then fall under the American's TV deal with ESPN.

Last I knew, CBS also had the rights to Army home games through at least 2014. I'm not sure if any extension or other deal has been made recently.

I can see a scenario where Army and Navy games could be included in an ACC Network without the two having to actually join the conference:

First, they would need to be independent for football in order to keep any future TV rights from reverting to another conference's package. Second, ESPN would need to own or be a partner to the ACC Network AND ESPN could acquire the rights to Army and Navy home games. At that point, ESPN would be able to show their home games on whatever of its networks it wanted.

This brings up another interesting scenario WRT an ESPN-owned ACC Network:

Couldn't ESPN broadcast other games NOT involving ACC teams on the ACC Network (for example, American Athletic games it owns the rights to). This might help provide much-needed live content during football season and could potentially help with distribution.

I heard they with ND would be in the ACC 10 years ago. National following, great academics, located in great markets and ND wants them in their 5 team division.

My only doubt is if they want to pay the scholarship stipend that is coming to the new division. Maybe there is enough money that they can do it, but I am just not sure they want to do it.

Maybe Army could work since they are independent. Maybe we could make an agreement with them and/or other several lower level conferences like the CUSA, Sunbelt, MAC or even CAA to allow us to somehow broadcast their home games whenever they host an ACC team.

It might be hard to do at first because those games would normally be a part of the other conference TV packages, so maybe it wouldn't make any sense for the other teams to do it at all. But I would think James Madison or other bigger CAA teams like Towson or Delaware might even give up their TV rights to host an ACC team every so often. The CAA TV package (NBC Sports for four or five games a year) might allow it because there is no other way an ACC team would go to a CAA stadium. The weaker ACC programs like Wake or Duke could fit at JMU or Delaware. And for the bigger ACC programs try neutral sites, like nearby NFL stadiums, but have the other team "host" it.

If you could put up 3 or 4 matchups per year like Syracuse at Army, Wake at JMU, BC at Delaware, VT or UVa at Towson State in Baltimore, etc. Or if you really want to game it, Pitt at Youngstown State at Heinz field with Youngstown "hosting". Not terribly interesting games, but it might be one way to get some content for a year or two to get something going.