Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

If the 5 major conferences break away,

and form their on division. Where does this leave Notre Dame? Are the other conferences going to let them tag along? If the BIG and Big 12 can't have them, do they allow them in the new division as an indy? Or they know if they tried to force them to join a conference it would be the ACC.
    Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Doom View Post
    and form their on division. Where does this leave Notre Dame? Are the other conferences going to let them tag along? If the BIG and Big 12 can't have them, do they allow them in the new division as an indy? Or they know if they tried to force them to join a conference it would be the ACC.
    Thoughts?
    Exactly where we are at now I would assume. 5 games ACC and normal independent schedule.
    The Big 10 and Big 12 know where we would join up if they did that.

They will be part of it as an independent. There will also be between 15-25 other teams involved in any new Division 4.

Thoughts?
    I don't always talk to UVa Grads but when I do I always order the Large Fries.

Now I would say that it maybe smart for them to push us into a conference for a couple reasons.
    1. Reduce the risk of us being a spot stealer. With us in the ACC they would assume just one team would come out of the conference and qualify for playoff. Much like I doubt the Big 10 will get 2 teams in the playoff anytime in the future. The SEC with their propaganda network will likely achieve getting 2 teams into the playoff. Not saying the SEC isn't the best conference(We found that out)just that I have hard time saying the SEC should have 5 out the top 10 teams.

2.WOuld be to roll the dice and get us into the ACC and after 2025 raid the ACC. Far fetched idea.

But with all that said the University President's like us independent. So I think none of this will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by goldendomer View Post
    Now I would say that it maybe smart for them to push us into a conference for a couple reasons.
    1. Reduce the risk of us being a spot stealer. With us in the ACC they would assume just one team would come out of the conference and qualify for playoff. Much like I doubt the Big 10 will get 2 teams in the playoff anytime in the future. The SEC with their propaganda network will likely achieve getting 2 teams into the playoff. Not saying the SEC isn't the best conference(We found that out)just that I have hard time saying the SEC should have 5 out the top 10 teams.

2.WOuld be to roll the dice and get us into the ACC and after 2025 raid the ACC. Far fetched idea.

But with all that said the University President's like us independent. So I think none of this will happen.
    Still say ND is the tail waging the dog. ND's future success depends on being included in the new division even as an independent - the new division won't depend on ND inclusion for success.

By tipping its hand to reveal they'd go to the ACC, other conferences might be more willing to let them stay indy since they know ND won't now be coming to their conference. If ND did this on purpose, it is quite shrewd...and I applaud them for it.
    Thoughts?

Thoughts?
    More I think about it, their independent days are numbered. It gives them an unfair recruiting advantage, having their own network and all, and schools like Alabama, Ohio State, and Florida State surely don't like that. It also gives them quite an advantage to not play a conference championship game. We saw that this year when playing another good opponent certainly could have/should have knocked them out of the MNC Game. So if/when it comes to a vote to allow them to independently be involved in whatever the future holds for bigtime college football, the SEC is going to be against it. We're hearing that with things like the Spurrier quotes. And with their playing 5 ACC games, there's going to be less B1G support, so I could see them voting against it as well. So no more support out of places like Lansing and Ann Arbor. I think the Big12 was OK w/ ND independence, but that was only because they were hoping to get the deal the ACC got from the Irish. And finally, USC and Stanford are in their corner in the Pac12, but will UCLA, Cal, and Oregon appreciate ND's preferential treatment much longer?

Anyhow, I could see the Pac12 sticking with ND when it comes to a vote and the ACC abstaining from the vote. Clearly Greensboro would LOVE for ND's hand to be forced, but they can't really show it. And then the SEC, B1G, and Big12 voting against the preferential treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4vt View Post
    More I think about it, their independent days are numbered. It gives them an unfair recruiting advantage, having their own network and all, and schools like Alabama, Ohio State, and Florida State surely don't like that. It also gives them quite an advantage to not play a conference championship game. We saw that this year when playing another good opponent certainly could have/should have knocked them out of the MNC Game. So if/when it comes to a vote to allow them to independently be involved in whatever the future holds for bigtime college football, the SEC is going to be against it. We're hearing that with things like the Spurrier quotes. And with their playing 5 ACC games, there's going to be less B1G support, so I could see them voting against it as well. So no more support out of places like Lansing and Ann Arbor. I think the Big12 was OK w/ ND independence, but that was only because they were hoping to get the deal the ACC got from the Irish. And finally, USC and Stanford are in their corner in the Pac12, but will UCLA, Cal, and Oregon appreciate ND's preferential treatment much longer?

Anyhow, I could see the Pac12 sticking with ND when it comes to a vote and the ACC abstaining from the vote. Clearly Greensboro would LOVE for ND's hand to be forced, but they can't really show it. And then the SEC, B1G, and Big12 voting against the preferential treatment.
    The Pac and the ACC(Not wanting to show they are trying to force us) will be in agreement. The Big 12 is a Texas based conference and we are very close with Texas. And our admin has built real strong relationships with Oklahoma also. So the Big 12 would not be a vote that would go the way you probably plan. Now onto the Big 10, the Big 10 would ask themselves would they rather have a Partial ND in their backyard or a full time member of the ACC in their backyard. Not a easy decision to make for them and we still have close relationships with MSU, Purdue,Indiana and Northwestern and Wisconsin who's AD coached at ND. So it wouldn't be a slam dunk.

Now in this new division if it comes about it could be interesting. I want to see what structure they chose.
    Last edited by goldendomer; Fri Aug 09 2013 at 02:53 AM.

Thoughts?
    It's not if and they will be in the ACC

unfortunately... a break away from the NCAA does not have quite as much clout without the Domers. It could happen anyway, because the real driver for breaking away is getting back the basketball tournament money.