Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 40 of 40
  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    It would be confusing having 2 Miamis. Ohio U even looks like an ACC campus architecturally. Kind of like Wake Forest or UVa. Athens, Ohio is in the boonies, even more so than Blacksburg. It's half the population of Blacksburg. They have 25,000 students.
    But just think of the fun the ACC could have promoting the "Miami Match-Up" even though neither school is physically located in a city named Miami. Besides, I would not mind seeing VT have another crack at Miami (OH)......as long as it isn't the Homecoming Game.

  2. #32

    Join Date
    February 16, 2001
    Posts
    14,845
    Most didn't believe me a decade ago when I said that the ACC and other big conferences would at least be at 14 and that ND would eventually join the ACC. Still some work to do, but that call is looking pretty good right now. The OOC games will not be exhibition games since the highest ranked teams will get to host what essentially will be the the first round of the playoff. Also when USC plays ND or VT plays Texas A&M or Oklahoma plays Ohio State...there will be plenty of eyes on the TV. Those games will be more likely because win your 4-5 team division and you are in the playoff. Win big OOC games and you will host the first round. Some smart people have gotten this figured out a long time ago. Give it some time and it will happen...in fact it is already happening.

    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    Disagree. If a 4-team tourney includes conference champs only, it makes the OOC exhibition games. I also don't see things evening out at 4 conferences any time soon. I doubt ND ends up in the ACC or any other conference for football.
    Last edited by Stech; Thu Aug 08 2013 at 09:46 PM.

  3. #33

    Join Date
    October 14, 2003
    Posts
    10,282
    If the first round of playoffs is as you say, that is good news (having it on campus) and does to some extent address my concern. I also imagine if there are 5 conferences and 4 slots, that a team actually has to do a little more than just win the conference, but winning the conference is a prerequisite, correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    Most didn't believe me a decade ago when I said that the ACC and other big conferences would at least be at 14 and that ND would eventually join the ACC. Still some work to do, but that call is looking pretty good right now. The OOC games will not be exhibition games since the highest ranked teams will get to host what essentially will be the the first round of the playoff. Also when USC plays ND or VT plays Texas A&M or Oklahoma plays Ohio State...there will be plenty of eyes on the TV. Those games will be more likely because win your 4-5 team division and you are in the playoff. Win big OOC games and you will host the first round. Some smart people have gotten this figured out a long time ago. Give it some time and it will happen...in fact it is already happening.

  4. #34

    Join Date
    December 28, 1999
    Posts
    7,959
    Why would other conferences want ND to fully join the ACC which will make the conference stronger?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    Before too long every team will have to be in one of the Big Conferences to get to the National Football Championship. Notre Dame has said repeatedly if that day comes they will join a conference. Now they are saying that conference is the ACC.

    The B1G 10 now has litlle to no hope of getting ND and the SEC now has little to no hope of getting VT and either UNC or NCSU too. That resets the deck for ND. I know you don't believe me, but last year this time you didn't think ND would join the ACC for all sports and sign a 5 game football agreement with the ACC either. The trend my ND freind is there if you want to see it.

  5. #35
    Edgeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 05, 2001
    Location
    Virginia Beach
    Posts
    49,228
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Jessup View Post
    Why would other conferences want ND to fully join the ACC which will make the conference stronger?
    Maybe to put them on an even playing field...and they probably think that if ND joins the ACC, it will be "dragged down" to the same playing level as the rest of the conference.

    Remember when Mercedes bought Chrysler? Everyone thought that Chrysler's quality would finally be on par with every other auto manufacturer (maybe not up to Japanese standards, but one can dream). What actually happened is that Mercedes started producing the worst quality cars in it's history. Coincidence? I think not....lol
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

  6. #36
    BUGGZY's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 15, 2002
    Location
    Annandale, VA
    Posts
    13,709
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Jessup View Post
    Why would other conferences want ND to fully join the ACC which will make the conference stronger?
    very good question. the theory is that other league's don't like the path ND has without playing a conference championship game, but the reality is that the SEC favors a path without a league championship (for their 2nd team), and the Big12 obviously favors that path as well.

    at the end of the day, the B1G and Pac12 are the 2 leagues pushing for the conf champ requirement (behind the scenes, nothing public), but the Big12, SEC and ND are all happy with how things are now. the ACC is walking a tight rope to play nice with ND. we want to go all in with the B1G and Pac12, but can't publicly piss off ND.

    that's my take on everything, anyway.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

  7. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    August 07, 2013
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Jessup View Post
    Why would other conferences want ND to fully join the ACC which will make the conference stronger?
    The only reason I can think of is we could be a bid stealer in the playoff. Better to push us full time into the ACC where most likely only 1 team will be eligible for the playoff. That's a bit of a stretch. The Big 10 will not willingly invite another conference into their backyard IMO.

  8. #38
    Edgeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 05, 2001
    Location
    Virginia Beach
    Posts
    49,228
    Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    at the end of the day, the B1G and Pac12 are the 2 leagues pushing for the conf champ requirement (behind the scenes, nothing public), but the Big12, SEC and ND are all happy with how things are now. the ACC is walking a tight rope to play nice with ND. we want to go all in with the B1G and Pac12, but can't publicly piss off ND.

    that's my take on everything, anyway.
    Would guess the Big-12 has no desire to force ND into a conference because they have a (not so) secret desire to steal them from the ACC.
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

  9. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    August 07, 2013
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post
    Would guess the Big-12 has no desire to force ND into a conference because they have a (not so) secret desire to steal them from the ACC.
    We will never join the Big 12.. We were never going to join them.. We used them as leverage with the ACC. Notre Dame playing all those Texas schools with no history for the long term wasn't going to happen.

  10. #40

    Join Date
    October 07, 1999
    Posts
    990
    Gee, Matt Lauer is a Bobcat alum.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •